Original WC3 video tapes?

Confed

Commodore
Does anyone know if the original recordings of WC3 survived somewhere ?

The video quality in the game was sufficient for a 14" screen, but on a 19" or higher nowadays... it really needs to be remade!
If the original tapes (it was recorded on video tape) still exist, maybe a HQ remake is still possible?
(probably pure wishful thinking on my part :( )

WC3 PSX and from what I understand WC3 3DO both have better looking Video than the PC version (but pc vesions gameplay looks way better than PSX)

WC3 needs remade like I need another hole in my head... :)
That said, it may be possible to reencode higher quality video's into the wc3 tre files (similar to a MOD). However the quality may be a limitation of the codec version used in the PC version

On another note, I've been trying to work out a way to extract the WC3 psx videos without any success so far. It would be neat to see the original masters but to what end. I'll be happy If I can get some help to make use of the higher quality sources we already have.

AD said:
... it may be possible to reencode higher quality video's into the wc3 tre files (similar to a MOD). However the quality may be a limitation of the codec version used in the PC version
On another note, I've been trying to work out a way to extract the WC3 psx videos without any success so far. It would be neat to see the original masters but to what end. I'll be happy If I can get some help to make use of the higher quality sources we already have.
Well, actually I should have said patch or upgrade & not remake as I was talking about the possibility of using the original master tapes & reencoding them in higher quality. I agree that the spacesim itself is still good enough but maybe a higher resolution like with WCP could be possible.

Question : From what source did Tolwyn make his HQ videos? (Hobbes Holovid msg is already a whole lot better than the quality in-game)

They're from either the Playstation or the 3DO port, which has higher quality video.

I've seen some "source" WC3 tapes and they don't look great -- Wing Commander III's effects rely quite a bit on the fact that it's highly compressed and low resolution... much more so than WCIV's sets become clearly fake in the DVD version.

I'm trying to figure out where the original tapes for No Remorse and No Regret are... I think LOAF once said that Jorg Neumann had them.

Yep, WCIV already suffers a bit with hi res video, just imagine all the greenscreen scenes in WCIII, shudder.

If the original film with the greenscreen on as opposed to with the overlayed backgrounds was still in existence what you're talking about might be feasible. Hell I can add 3D rendered backgrounds to a green screen scene using a webcam; I can't imagine it being an expensive process to do as all the scenes are shot from static angles.
Redoing the special effects and space scenes would actually be the costly part depending on how much work you put into them.

Remakes have a bad rep atm, with an existing engine it wouldn't be too expensive to put together so the sales required wouldn't need to be huge, but much larger than it would be liable to get right now.
LOAF, Chris and the other CICers would know better about EAs policy of selling off game related merchandise but I highly doubt from what I know that reel is going to end up in the hands of any fans. So best chance is a revival of the space combat genre or interactive movies, either way it'd be a quick and relatively cheap money maker.

Personally I'd be all for such a re-release, and it is capable of, under the correct circumstances, making money, but not so much as that EA would ever take notice without Wing Commander making a most spectacular comeback :p

Back