Operation Thor's Hammer

Sharpshooter

Rear Admiral
I've managed to get copies of the dos versions of SM1 and 2. Needless to say, I made several backup copies shortly after. :D

I'm currently trying to win Jotunheim 3, and I have a question.

Has anyone ever managed to destroy every single enemy in this mission without cheating? ;)

I'm enjoying SM1 a lot - WC1 was great, but SM1 makes it look like the fun only really starts from Operation Thor's Hammer.

EDIT : I managed to find a way to kill 4 Grathas in a Raptor while using almost no afterburner fuel, so it might be possible, just really hard.

I did! Once. The most recent time I played. I was so ridiculously happy because of that I immediately logged in #Wingnut just to shamelessly brag about it! :D

Wow. Congratulations, I'm impressed! :)
I hope I'll be able to do it as well, eventually. I'm sure those SM2 Dralthi missions will be interesting too.

UPDATE : Whew. I destroyed the first 8 Kilrathi fighters, the 5 rapiers, the Gwenhyvar, and I afterburned away from the 4 Krants. It was quite difficult. :D

The Gwenhyvar is an Exeter-class destroyer in Wing Commander, although it's completely unarmed so, after disposing of the Rapiers, it's defenceless.

As a matter of fact, I don't remember ever seeing a Confed Capship firing a single shot in any mission in WC1 or the Secret Missions... :(

The Confed capships sometimes manage to destroy Kilrathi ships, but you just don't see them fire, it seems. And the Gwenhyvar/Johann does appear to be defenceless.

(I don't have SWC yet, by the way.)

Confed capships can only destroy Kilrathi fighters when said fighters kill themselves by ramming the capships.

Try fighting the Gwenhyvar in SWC, she's a destroyer there, not a Corvette, you want difficult.

You must be a SNES Secret Missions veteran! The game had so little available space that they couldn't have both the Exeter and Venture artwork... so the Gwenhyvar became a Venture!

I always thought there was like 6 Jalthi in this mission, for some reason... I'm probably mistaken though.

Who is your wingman at this point?

This was a hard mission. I've beaten it three times... but I wouldn't want to tell you how many times in total I actually tried.

Thanks! :D

Funny thing is, if you just want to pass the mission, it's really easy - just afterburn in, waste the Gwenhyvar, and afterburn out. No big.

Now, if you want to really rule it, it's a whole other thing. This time I was really bent on getting the job done. I spent some hours replaying it, learning, refining my tactics, and just getting pumped. I remember when I finally managed to destroy the 5 Rapiers with enouth fuel/ammo/ship remaining to take on the fighters in the return trip. I was all "alright, man, just don't screw it up now"! Then the Gratha almost got the best of me, but I put myself together, and carefully and methodically destroyed them one by one.

Hell, I'm starting to sound like the Maniac! :eek: I'd better stop patting myself in the back right now!

You must be a SNES Secret Missions veteran! The game had so little available space that they couldn't have both the Exeter and Venture artwork... so the Gwenhyvar became a Venture!

... well that certainly makes sense. You are correct sir, I am an SNES Vet... well that answers the mind boggling question I've had for so long: How the hell does a Venture have a squadron of fighters!?

Good! Now you can occupy yourself with the mind boggling question of how the hell the Gwenhyvar got a squadron of brand new Rapiers! :D

Good! Now you can occupy yourself with the mind boggling question of how the hell the Gwenhyvar got a squadron of brand new Rapiers! :D

Those are Jratheks. Engine limitations forced the coders to re-use existing assets to portray them.

I'm kidding.

That's easy: It's a plot hole.

Gwenhyvar was captured in 2552 according to WCSM1, in the Jotunheim system. Unless the Kilrathi raided a convoy that conviently had a shipment of Rapier-IIA's to a carrier, there is really no way possible that the Gwenhyvar could of aquired those fighters.

... well that certainly makes sense. You are correct sir, I am an SNES Vet... well that answers the mind boggling question I've had for so long: How the hell does a Venture have a squadron of fighters!?

They don't, actually. A Venture is at best Eighty metres long, maybe half that wide. In order for the thing to carry fighters, it would literaly have to be hollow, and even then it couldn't carry many fighters... the Rapier IIA is 22 metres in legnth.

So no, they really can't.

That's easy: It's a plot hole.

Gwenhyvar was captured in 2552 according to WCSM1, in the Jotunheim system. Unless the Kilrathi raided a convoy that conviently had a shipment of Rapier-IIA's to a carrier, there is really no way possible that the Gwenhyvar could of aquired those fighters.

Yep. That's exactly how I always tried to explain the whole issue to myself since then.

I believe the intent was that the actual 'Gwenhyvar' was an old wives tale/lower decks rec room talk sort of a thing. The ship you encounter in The Secret Missions is, as it claims, the TCS Johann (Blair refers to it as such in Secret Missions 2 - and what's the point of the 'second' name ever coming up, otherwise?).

Back