One Week to Blu-Ray! (July 30, 2013)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
We're now just one week away from the anticipated release of Wing Commander on Blu-ray! Although some places still suggest an August 13 street date, most places seem to be holding firm to August 6. Fans who've preordered at Amazon with release date delivery will know for sure if they get a shipping notification in a few more days.

Kris did some digging and found an interesting quote from 2002. During a Q&A with Fox, a dedicated Wingnut asked about additional releases of the Wing Commander Movie. The Fox rep completely ruled out any future version. Not only did we get a new DVD in 2011, but we're finally on the verge of the retail HD release! That just goes to show... never bet against Wing Commander!

<HakanPowers> Good morning (!) Peter, thanks for joining us today! What are the chances of an anamorphic Wing Commander ever seeing the light of day? also, did the situation with the problematic DTS track on Moulin Rouge ever get solved?
<peterstaddon> Wing Commander has had it's time on DVD, there will never be another version.

Anchor Bay has posted the angled Blu-ray box cover, so we've also got another new high res shot below.

--
Original update published on July 30, 2013

Last edited by a moderator:
Still jealous that Amazon ships early for you guys...

Well, as a trade-off, amazon.ca lists the Canadian price at under 10 dollars... Futureshop is at 9.99... That's a pretty great price seeing as the US prices is close to 13. However it makes me suspect more than ever that this will be a bare bones release.

Well, Futureshop does ship early for me - so it will arrive on release day.

Though, I'd probably just pick it up in store from Futureshop to avoid shipping charges.

Well, Futureshop does ship early for me - so it will arrive on release day.

Though, I'd probably just pick it up in store from Futureshop to avoid shipping charges.
Futureshop has free shipping over 20 dollars... It used to be on everything, but it probably isn't that hard to make up the extra... just order two!.

Soooo.. amazon.com is showing the aspect ratio of the disk as 1.85:1... This is immensely disappointing if it's true. The proper aspect ratio for the Wing Commander film is 2.39:1 . I sure hope it's not true... but all isn't necessarily lost. In some countries the movie was shown on cable in HD with the matte opened up... Which means we may actually be seeing more picture height as opposed to a cropped image. It won't be the picture as Chris Roberts intended but at least there's some novelty reasons to have a copy that's opened up as opposed to cropped... Walmart.ca finally has a listing too though and they list 2.35:1... so hopefully Amason just got it wrong.

Hopefully it's not a hackjob like Outlander's first bluray which was opened up on some shots and cropped on effects shots.

EDIT: cduniverse lists the following: Blu-ray Disc Features: Widescreen - 2.35 Audio: Dolby True HD 5.1 - English. If this is the case and the amazon listings are wrong then YAY.

aspect_ratios-1530.jpg

Stars/Anchor emailed me back and confimed that the release is 2.35:1, so that's a relief. Anyone get theirs yet? How does the picture and sound quality compare?

Back