Omega Project (Fleet Action)

From Fleet Action:
"A hell of a lot of snags, six months before we could even fire up the engines on the first ship, a year more likely, though the conservatives are
saying eighteen months is a safe bet."

That generally rules out anything seen in the war, which ended about nine months after Fleet Action.

I think that just the description istself rules out any possibility that Omega is the Behemoth... The behemoth is not stealthy, it's not armoured, it has crappy shields and it's not a dreadnaught. It is just a big weapon with engines. it's not a battleship, because it can't join battles. Just like those big kraut railroad artillery pieces, it cannot enter the fray.

When you consider the fact that it wasn't even invented by OSI people when FA was written...

Atekimogus said:
....although i love the novels, in case of heart of the tiger and price of freedom i will take the games over the novels as reliable information source ;) .....
....And in the game there is no indication that Tolwyn knows from behemoth since ten years.
Since you rely on the games, you'll be happy to know that the games DO state that Tolwyn knows about the Behemoth since the beginning. In WC3 during a mission room briefing with Christopher Blair, Tolwyn tells him: "I've been with it since its inception"

I've always wondered if the ship is just so secret that it never made it into the games... I mean, what if this ship on the far side of the galaxy is the redoubt of the Confederation or something.

Hmm... that'd be the shadow government hanging out over there, saying things like "well, if Earth falls, we're fine..."

And then someone shows up on their side of things, and starts a great big war.

When you consider the fact that [The Behemoth] wasn't even invented by OSI people when FA was written...
As much as I agree that Behemoth is not the Omega Project, I don't really care for these "the writers at the time didn't know it would exist" explanations becasue the Origin folks could just as easily have tied their future stories into the prior material. Simply because Forstchen didn't know Behemoth would exist when he wrote FA doesn't mean that the developers of HOTT couldn't make their story fit with his properly. The Omega Project could have been a great tie-in in a future game or book (not necessarily for the Behemoth), and it's a shame they never used it.

I think it would have been great for the Vesuvius class in particular, although I doubt the Vesuvius and Omega have anything to do with each other. At one point in the TPOF, Blair mentions that he saw the ship while it was being constructed, which presents a problem: when did he see it? During the War, it was so classified that Tolwyn wasn't even allowed to know about it, much less see it, and after the War, Blair left the service. This would most likely mean that he saw the Vesuvius in construction druing the war, which would rule out even the possibility that it is a decendent of Omega.

Which actually leads me to a related question of my own: how long does it take for these dreadnaught carriers to be constructed? I think I remember reading it somewhere once, but right now it escapes me.

I haven't read The Price of Freedom novel, but if you're referring to where Blair saw the Vesuvius under construction, it was at the beginning of WC4, where he meets Admiral Tolwyn at Confed HQ. [And if that's not Confed HQ in-universe, I believe that's what it was referred to in the draft script.]

I'm pretty sure the WC4N refers to the station Blair meets Tolwyn at is L5, one that was boosted into Jupiter orbit from low-Earth orbit after the BoT (it was apparently a "last defense" fighter base for that engagement, IIRC - been a while since I picked up my copy of the novel).

C-ya

What about the Cerberus, from Secret Ops? Wasn't that a "top-secret stealth-equipped cruiser"? It didn't have the super-powered shields, but the project could've easily been downsized...

Atekimogus said:
Well heart of the tiger states also that vagabond dies and then we see him in wcIV, what i want to say is that although i love the novels, in case of heart of the tiger and price of freedom i will take the games over the novels as reliable information source ;) . (Forstchen seems not to be very accurate when he names ship classes and certain details (like which charactar dies and so forth ;) )

I just started reading Heart of the Tiger, my first WC Novel. I agree it changes far too much of the story. Still, its a fun reading anyway. What does nark me as well is when perfectly decent dialogue from the gameis subtly altered or added to for no reason. To me it sounded better in the game, so why mess around with it?

Ed

Aron Figaro said:
What about the Cerberus, from Secret Ops? Wasn't that a "top-secret stealth-equipped cruiser"? It didn't have the super-powered shields, but the project could've easily been downsized...
Nice idea, but the Hades-class was co-developed by a private company - specifically, Bartok Enterprises.

So? Top-secret projects CAN have private support, given agreements of nondisclosure and such are signed. The fact that Bartok was involved really doesn't kill my theory...

I believe there's a line about how the Cerberus has been in development for ten years, which would make it too young to be the Omega. (Certainly Aron is correct that private companies do develop top secret projects -- look at the stealth fighter...).

All that said, it's probably best to avoid small universe syndrome. It's really, really tempting to draw connections wherever possible... but it isn't necessarily reasonable, and probably isn't very helpful in the long run.

Interesting. I'm not all that aware of what goes on in cutting-edge military development, fictitious or otherwise. But I would have thought that keeping projects 'in-house' would minimise security leaks.

On the other hand, with the Pilgrims, Mandarins and other traitors and spies within Confed, I suppose that isn't necessarily true...

Tolwyn's description from Fleet Action: "It was not so much a super carrier along the lines of the suspected Kilrathi design, but more a stealth, heavily armored battlewagon with upgraded shielding that was proof against medium-yield antimatter warheads. There were rumors as well of a super weapon to be carried on the new ship, but that was an even darker secret. They were still a dream, however, and would have no impact on this war..."

The idea that it's a "stealth" ship suggests that it probably isn't *big*.

nteresting. I'm not all that aware of what goes on in cutting-edge military development, fictitious or otherwise. But I would have thought that keeping projects 'in-house' would minimise security leaks.

Then the government would be competing with the private sector. Defense contractors exist specifically to take on classified projects...

I believe the original Wing Commander uses it to refer to any line warship (Exeter and Ralari-class destroyers, in particular).

Back