Nuts to Castles - No Arena on 6/27 (June 27, 2007)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Bad news for June Arena-seekers (ie, everyone): XBLArcade is reporting that this week's XBLA title is Carcassonne, a title developed from a European board game that involves castles. It sounds like fun... but I'd rather see Rapiers and Broadswords than rapiers and broadswords. When will we see Wing Commander Arena? There's no official word - but if they were hoping for June, it can't be too far away.

--
Original update published on June 27, 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
Love that game but Id not play it online. Like most board games they are only good if played around a table with various types of sweets dips etc. and nice people sharing it with you.

It looks like fun to me, but I'm holding my precious MS Points for Arena. :) The last board game they released, Catan, has been very highly praised - so if you're into that kind of thing, give it a try...

I know what you mean, regarding playing such games in 'real life'. I had similar reservations regarding the idea of playing Uno on XBLA... but in the end with its camera and voice support, I found it did a good job of replicating the same sense of hanging out with my friends and playing a casual game.

Hmm yes, though Id say Ill stay with my monthly boardgame group. Thats about the time I at the moment can spare for playing games, and thats also why I probably wont bother buying a new gaming rig (wheter console or PC) anytime soon. Though playing a new WC game realy tempts me.

But I can only suggest trying out that game (online or real) its realy quite fun and compared to other compareable games can be quite fast paced while still beeing strategical fun.

Carcassonne is really fun. However I am not sure if I like the 3D castles in that version. They block the view while doing nothing.

BTW - you can play carcassonne for free on brettspielwelt.de

Doesn't look as fancy however.

RE virtual vs on table. IMHO Carcassonne is one of the few games that have a good transition to the virtual table.

Settlers is a bad example OTOH IMO, because it life from negotiating.

Love that game but Id not play it online. Like most board games they are only good if played around a table with various types of sweets dips etc. and nice people sharing it with you.

I know what you mean, regarding playing such games in 'real life'. I had similar reservations regarding the idea of playing Uno on XBLA... but in the end with its camera and voice support, I found it did a good job of replicating the same sense of hanging out with my friends and playing a casual game.

Carcassonne actually support the Vision Camera too. I'm not really familiar with this game or its setting, but I would very much like a bunch of simple board games with camera support.

Back