No News is not good news

Iceblade

Admiral
Also no new posts on this forum.

Don't tell me that in over a month, you haven't gotten anything finished.

I understand that school can get in the way, especially when it comes to programming those zillions of lines of Pascal code. But, I would of thought something would have been done by now.

I am sorry if this sounds bussy--not intended. I am just wondering what is going on.

I don't mean to be preachy, but don't forget that these guys are working to get these things done (things that all us WC fans have wanted to see for years) without seeing a dime for their contribution to the genre, or even official recognition. Not to mention that a lot of them are working on more than one mod as well. You just gotta give these things time. When you start asking questions like this, it adds pressure to the situation, and we'll either see A: Sloddy, slipshod work just to get it out to keep us from REALLY starting to complain, or B: a loss of hope and commitment from these guys to even get it finished to begin with. Let 'em work at their own pace, unless you wanna pay 'em.

Yep, we are indeed busy. There's been some progress, but not enough for a news update. Standoff will definitely be finished eventually, though.

Oh, and anybody wanting to pay us is more than welcome to ;).

We're all pretty busy, I guess. As for myself, I just had a baby last week, so you can imagine it reduces my amount of spare time next to nothing. I can imagine the other staff member have their own business to attend to :p

Iceblade said:
I am just wondering what is going on.
We're too damn busy. From now on, this will probably be more constant. Just about everything that we're able to take screenshots of is done, now we need missions, voiceovers, fictions, things like that. Sure, I could update the website every week about how we fixed this or that bug in this or that mission, but I really think that is a waste of time.

Quarto said:
Oh, and anybody wanting to pay us is more than welcome to ;).
Indeed. I have zero income :(

PopsiclePete said:
As for myself, I just had a baby last week, so you can imagine it reduces my amount of spare time next to nothing.
Wow, congrats, man. :)

I would bet that replying to messages on the forums and answering emails about when is Standoff going to be released only slows the progress down as well. If you want get into Standoff even more before it's release I suggest brushing up on your Skills by playing UE, WCP & WCSO.

ChrisReid said:
I can definitely sympathize with having an insane workload.
It does seem to be a problem for most WC fans these days, doesn't it? Having lots of spare time is one thing I miss about being in high school :(.

Pierre, congratulations :).

Raptor leader said:
I would bet that replying to messages on the forums and answering emails about when is Standoff going to be released only slows the progress down as well.
That's more of an excuse people tend to use, IMO. It takes me only a couple of minutes to check this forum and reply to a thread, and I usually have those two minutes... the problem is that doing any work on the mod requires more than two minutes at a time :)

Well I think you guys are pretty good for doing what you manage to do anyway. At least the dialog on the forum means that a lack of updates won't let people think the mod is dead.

Also, congratulations Pete.

Eder said:
That's more of an excuse people tend to use, IMO. It takes me only a couple of minutes to check this forum and reply to a thread, and I usually have those two minutes... the problem is that doing any work on the mod requires more than two minutes at a time :)

And at the same time, forum activity probably is a decent motivational force.

It definitely is. If there was no forum activity... well, who'd want to keep working on a mod that nobody seems to be interested in?

We're all interested. I'm especially interested in actually doing something other than sitting on my ass waiting for some lines.

I've been too damn busy to have anything to assign to our VO volunteers... so sitting on your ass for a while longer is the best thing you can do right now :p

I was just asking out of curiousity. It's just I would of thought that something would of been done, maybe one or two of the remaining unfinished ships being completed or something..

Man, I miss the old days when "good" games came out within several weeks of each other. Now, there is hardly anything I like in the stores.

Eder, if you have the time, I think releasing the Hakaga, a new character or even updating the news section with some unimportant thing would rally Standoff future fans up (or at least me :) ) But I´m sure progress is steady with some critical steps of making the game (programming missions, selecting voiceovers, etc.). Anyway, I´m with overmortal and Iceblade on this, when you have the time, we´d be all pleased with some "noticeable" update on the Standoff site.

Well, the trouble with the Hakaga or new characters is that these are the kinds of updates that require the most work from Eder (as opposed to the other members of the team), who happens to have the least time to work on Standoff right now. I agree, though, Standoff is long overdue for a news update of some kind.

Yeah, I'm prolly the one who's busiest right now, and all the stuff we could show off on the website is done by me... :( Everyone else's working on missions, or music, or fiction, but there's no way we can release something on those (without giving anything away, at least).

We all know that you're working hard with what little time you have. And, as for myself, I know that if UE is any indication of what can be done, Standoff is going to kick inordinate amounts of ass. I'm looking forward to screaming (in my best kilrathi voice) "You cannot defeat the Drakhai!" or something similar.

Hehe, I think it's safe to assume the Drakhai (being the Kilrathi's elite and all) participated in the BoT... so you just might get to do that very sentence :p

Back