Next WC

commander k

Spaceman
Does anyone know anything about the new Wing Commander??? I have to visit this chat room for a long time so i missed all the news!!

------------------
'The Price of Freedom is eternal vigilance'
-Wing Commander 4

Silent Warrior said:
Provided that will be the next WC. I think Starlancer could be worth a look for the more impatient people.

Why exactly SL? What makes it different than any other space sims coming out this year?
smile.gif
AFAWK SL could still be delayed and come out AFTER POL.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL! Or at least we'll be to busy playing POL to notice it was even released.
biggrin.gif

Starlancer is very much on time for a late april release, the internal beta will start really soon too. You definately won't be playing POL before Starlancer, probably not before Freelancer either.

------------------
Zohrath.

http://www.starlancer.net - Lancers HQ, the best source for Starlancer and Freelancer news.

Starlancer is right on time, everything's going very well, should be out Q2 2000.

Starlancer should be out way before they have POL, infact, Freelancer should be out before POL.

Zohrath said:
Starlancer is very much on time for a late april release, the internal beta will start really soon too. You definately won't be playing POL before Starlancer, probably not before Freelancer either.

OK, I'm glad SL will come out this year.
Also, how could one go about geting that beta to try out? I'd love to play it before others do.
biggrin.gif

Anyhow, I doubt I'll be playing FL before POL. There are two reasons actualy, first FL, with it's AI that control you ship doesen't sound very interesting. I can see all those advertisments for FL now, "Buy this game and experience incredible graphics and story. You'll have more time to enjoy them since your computer will be flying you ship, so you can just stare at the screen and click your mouse a few times."
biggrin.gif

Also, POL could be out as early as Q1 next year. Judging from the time it took OSI to make UO, and from theier estimates about the release of UO2, we can know about how much time it'll take them to make the game. And OSI could have been working on POL even before SO, since that probably didn't take to much time to make. So unless FL will be out in the first quater next year, and I heard DA is still about 18 more months from finishing it and 6 more for the MP add-on, POL could be released earlier.

By the way, Canadian, Zohrath, you wouldn't happen to be working on SL would you?

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Starlancer was "right on time" for a Q3 1999 release at one point too.
smile.gif

The trouble with POL is that they're not telling us anything. For all we know, the POL team is just sitting around in a lounge, lobbing paper balls at each other. Freelancer might come out in fifty years... and still beat POL
smile.gif

Quarto said:
The trouble with POL is that they're not telling us anything. For all we know, the POL team is just sitting around in a lounge, lobbing paper balls at each other. Freelancer might come out in fifty years... and still beat POL
smile.gif

Don't even say things like that!
biggrin.gif

Quarto, just in case you read this before your mail, I tried to get the treman to work but I obviously forgot how. I moved treman to my Priv directory, I opened the DOS window, and typed D:\Privater\treman.exe priv.tre, and it tells me there's no Priv.tre. I get this message:

The TRE file was not found. It's likely that you simply mis-typed the name
of the TRE, but you have the option of creating a new TRE file.

-> Do you want to create a new TRE (y/n) ?

What am I doing wrong?

------------------
Gen. Patton

Is that the CD version of Priv? If yes, then you have to change the settings of priv.tre - it's set to read-only, and TREMAN will refuse to look at it.
If that's not the CD version of Priv, then there is no priv.tre file. Type dir *.tre to find out what tre files there are.

The internal beta has already started, it's too late to be in that one. There'll be a public beta later. I and Canadian work on a Starlancer & Freelancer site, not the actual game(s)
smile.gif
. And chris, since they've got a beta test under way, and Eric Peterson said not so long ago that it's very much on time for a release in april, I'm very confident it WILL be out in late april.

------------------
Zohrath.

http://www.starlancer.net - Lancers HQ, the best source for Starlancer and Freelancer news.

KrisV said:
We could all be dead by the time SL is done
cool.gif

Well, some of us have a while (hopefully) to live. Unless the programmers have unlimited life source or something.
smile.gif

Programmers can live, die, or be fired, and their project still goes on. But if a gamer dies, that's the end for him
smile.gif
. Thus, Freelancer could even take several hundred years to be released... but we wouldn't be there to see it
smile.gif

Even worse, by that time there might be no demand for computer games.
eek.gif

If they do finish the game, they might be able to resurrect us and enslave us as playtestors.

Maybe by then, OSI will have popped out a state of the art sequel to Armada.
smile.gif

A sequel to Armada? I'll believe that when I see it. In other words, never
frown.gif

Right now, I'd just settle for POL... but I guess I've got a few years of waiting ahead.

A sequel to Armada? I'll believe that when I see it. In other words, never

I sincerely hope we do see one and you are wrong. The best alternative would be a POL that allows the use of WCP/SO ships, weapons and tech.

Maybe you could be a buisiness tycoon who has a talent for flying, or something like that, and you invest to increase you wealth, while earning money from Confed to do their dirty work. Maybe even do work for the cats.

I hope the ships are better to see though, in SO the ships are transparent or cloaked in darkness for certain angles.

Back