NEWS : Ingame HUD System

I'm just goosing the fanboys with a stick -- it's a subject they're stupidly touchy about. We've all actually played Freespace.

Freespace fans have come up with elaborate fantasies about why their favorite game, Descent: Freespace, secretly doesn't have 'Descent' in the title. It's good fun.

Privateer dropped the 'Wing Commander' with Righteous Fire, not with Darkening. The fact that P2 is 'Privateer 2' is exactly the *opposite* of the argument you're trying to make here.

I wouldn't say I was ever touchy about it, just trying to correct what looked to be your mistake. If you knew better all along then you should have saved us all the time.

But if trying to start a slagging match is your agenda here then forget it, I'm not interested in anything so childish. Good day.

Right, I knew that. (about righteous fire - I was set straight on that a good year or so ago) And I wasn't trying to make the case that the Privateer 2 universe wasn't connected to Wing Commander. I know that's not true. But Privateer 2 not being a part of the Wing commander universe is something that seems to turn up quite a bit, so I suppose I was trying to goose you with a stick. Apologies, it'll never happen again.

If you'd like to argue about Privateer 2, I think you'll find I have a wealth of well-researched information on the subject... unlike Descent fanboys.

LOAF - I don't want to argue about it. I agree with you. Origin agrees with you. Hell, They specifically said that it is a game that takes place in the Wing Comannder universe: just a rather distant part of it. I'm all for it. I was merely pointing out that it's a discussion that seems to pop up quite a bit - not that it was one I'd want to re-open. Anyhow, sorry for the confusion.

Lots of discussions pop up a lot -- that doesn't make them intelligent issues. You can replace 'Privateer 2' with any Wing Commander product and I can guarantee you I've had the argument that it's "non canon" anywhere between two and a hundred times in my life. That includes the original Wing Commander.

It seems mobygames treats freespace and descent as different series. They dropped the "Descent" name on Freespace 2. I heard the same story about the usage of the Descent title on Freespace back when it was released, but not from any official source I can remember. Maybe it was just something floating around the usenet.

It's interesting to notice that Privateer is treated as part of 4 series: Privateer Series, Wing Commander Series, Wing Commander Spinoffs, Wing Commander Universe. And check this out.

I'm sure the European release of Freespace was named Conflict:Freespace instead of Descent:Freespace. Nevermind why... ;)

Indeed.

I'm beginning to understand some of this when it comes to the "Descent" and "Conflict" title, seeing that the publishers never had it in mind to include either of them. As said before, even though it maybe in the same universe as one another; the games and their conditions are just different.

Maybe the developers can clear this up

They already have:

http://www.volition-inc.com/History/1996

(Further explanation in the 1998 entry, detailing the release of FreeSpace. The box art clearly shows "Descent: FreeSpace" and "From the makers of "Descent").

Basically they were riding Descents coat tails. The affiliation is in name only, the two universes are separate and no references were ever made between the Descent and FreeSpace universes.

There you have it :)

But how do we really know if the mines in the freespace universe are not full of killer robots? Then again why would any body really care?

They probably are full of killer robots anyway... Evil killer robots that purposely destroy computer game genres. Arf.

The story is simple. Parallax software anounced the continuation of Descent to be a space sim, named "Descent: Freespace" then the team broke, and the title was developed by Volition, and any connections to Descent series were cut off, so Volition team wanted to rename the game "Conflict: Freespace". However, Interplay forced the game to be given the old name, because they thought, that the people will go to stores only to buy a sequel of a popular series, (even if the game wasn't such) so they released the game under old title. However in Europe the game was released under new title. why? maby they fond out that it would be good idea after all

P.S. it's just roumors, but taken from some press articles from the time of rlease

I think the thing here is that Privateer II was not intended to be...Privateer II. I remember reading several accounts of Origin members that were quite upset when late in the product cycle the marketing reps decided to throw Privateer in the label (namely Captain Johnny gave a few choice comments about it).

Loaf, you're goading the Freespace fans a little bit for their title having "Descent" in the name but the reasoning behind is pretty much the same underlying reason as "Privateer" being added to The Darkening. Now, what's great is that the Origin team actually did some work and made the ties to the Wing Commander universe whereas Freespace really made absolutely no effort to tie to the Descent universe beyond the name in the title. (I'll admit I'm no expert on Freespace but at least none of the ingame fiction or manual information that I've read ever referenced any link to Descent or Descent IP items, mines, robots etc). I believe the decision by Origin to slap Privateer on the Darkening title was probably the wrong move but at least Origin made steps to tie the title into the universe. But originally, The Darkening was not intended to be "Privateer 2." Still, a fantastic game...something Freespace was not.

I think the thing here is that Privateer II was not intended to be...Privateer II. I remember reading several accounts of Origin members that were quite upset when late in the product cycle the marketing reps decided to throw Privateer in the label (namely Captain Johnny gave a few choice comments about it).

... are you new here? We've absolutely established that the team in England begin work on Darkening as a Privateer project and that it got 'back' the Privateer name long before marketing had anything to do with it. The old "EA screwed us over" story comes f rom adding the *2* to the name (as it followed the cancellation of a Chris Roberts Privateer sequel -- which also was not a direct followup to the P1 story).

Loaf, you're goading the Freespace fans a little bit for their title having "Descent" in the name but the reasoning behind is pretty much the same underlying reason as "Privateer" being added to The Darkening.

The difference between the two groups -- at least so I thought before you blundered into this to repeat this -- is that the Wing Commander fans have done their homework and know their history. The Descent fans have heard some rumors.

I believe the decision by Origin to slap Privateer on the Darkening title was probably the wrong move but at least Origin made steps to tie the title into the universe. But originally, The Darkening was not intended to be "Privateer 2."

I'll ask again, are you new here? Do you expect to stay long?

Back