New Wing Commander Game?

Which developed over years in a number of games and books.

We're pretty much in the same place with the Nephilim as we were with the Kilrathi after WC1. Just because they look somewhat insect based doesn't make them a mindless horde. Even from what little we know, they have different castes and roles and culture that we've only seen the beginnings of.

I have to agree with Ried, you can't really make decisions based on what little information we have. Like the Kilrathi, we really didn't have much info on them after the first game. To think of it, we really didn't have much info on the Kilrathi until well after WC2 when the books started coming out.

I disagree. First up, we don't know anywhere near as much about the bugs as we did about the Kilrathi at the end of WC1. For the Kats, WC1 established some crucial information - and particularly the fact that there are individual Kilrathi with individual personalities out there. We didn't get that with the Nephilim.

Secondly, I get the impression that a lot of people simply find the bugs (subjectively) less interesting than the Kilrathi. I know that's certainly the case for me. There just isn't anything to grab on to with the bugs - and that's after not one, but three games (WCP, SO, and Arena). We all know there was a more complicated backstory for the bugs, behind the scenes - but from what we've seen in the games, they're basically a dull and monolithic swarm of insects.

This is not to say that there can't be a really fascinating story with the bugs - all I'm saying is that what we've had so far has been something of a turn-off. After WC1, I certainly wanted to learn more about the Kilrathi - but after WCP, SO, and Arena... I really couldn't care less. I'm sure there's others who are more interested, but whenever threads like this come up, we don't seem to hear from them. Most people seem to say they'd like to see the Kilrathi again. Isn't that why Arena sent the bugs to the background?

The Warlord seemed to have some personal agenda in targeting Blair specifically... but that may just be because of his status as Destroyer of Kilrah. Other than that, we don't really see any particular motive or personalities in the games themselves.

Well, they *could* explore the Nephilim more and give them some character in the new game, but i agree with most people here EA is probably gonna play it safe and we'll have a Kilrathi War setting. Which is fine by me.

The Nephilim could have been "The Borg" of Wing commander, Hyve-minded drones, with a simple task to annihilate everything in their path(And blair could have been Picard)

I do not see any reason for Origin to focus a new game on the lesser-known storyline and their enemy's. The real joint effort would be integrating the Kilrathi with confed and -put numerous vagely mentioned races here-, in stopping the bugs, the social interaction between former enemys joining would create a nice setting story-wise.

It's up to origin/EA where to start off again, and I'm pretty sure they learned over the years that remake's do not last.

The Nephilim could have been "The Borg" of Wing commander, Hyve-minded drones, with a simple task to annihilate everything in their path(And blair could have been Picard)

A little OT it's funny you mention it, as I always saw Nephilim extremally simillar to species 8-something from Star Trek Voyager. They look simmilar, have "organic" ships and come from "fluidic space" or something simmilar.

Also Phrophecy was released in 1997, same year that season 4 of Voyager premiered, so it was well in development when Scorpion episode aired. Strange coinicidence...

A little OT it's funny you mention it, as I always saw Nephilim extremally simillar to species 8-something from Star Trek Voyager. They look simmilar, have "organic" ships and come from "fluidic space" or something simmilar.

Also Phrophecy was released in 1997, same year that season 4 of Voyager premiered, so it was well in development when Scorpion episode aired. Strange coinicidence...

Species 8472... I don't see it. Personally though, I do see the connection in species, both using organic ships, but not in terms of looking alike.

They all share a common theme that was popular with science fiction shows for quite a while. A strange, disturbing, overwhelming alien enemy that was far superior to anything Earth could offer, mostly organic (because that theme wasn't as worn-out as it is now). Call them Shadows, Nephilim, Shivans, Species 8472, Zerg, Tyranids, whatever. They all died from the flu (ok different show, but you get the idea).
Though i always thought the Nephilim had a greater potential, at least they had the decency to talk and curse and didn't just ignore you.

Species 8472... I don't see it. Personally though, I do see the connection in species, both using organic ships, but not in terms of looking alike.

They don't look alike, however the rest is spot-on, but not unlike the kilrathi's battle suits in WC1 look like those from the "chiqs" in Space A&B, from 1989.

As much as the Terrans and Kilrathi dislike each other and claim how different they are to each other, I'd love to see a game with them both pitted against a 3rd group (perhaps the Nephilum again)...

Story wise they could set it far enough past Prophecy and Secret Ops to have some actually liking the idea of an alliance and actively working together, with the basic premise of "united we stand, divided we fall"...

...but just like in Star Trek 6 you could have covert groups on each side that are doing sabotage and want the Alliance to fall apart ... and perhaps even one covert group with members from both sides who've come to realize that as much as they hate each other they need each other and are willing to secretly act the other way (anti-sabotage? Not sure what the term would be) ... to push Terrans and Kilrathi into working together to try and help identify and solve big future inter-species relations/politics problems by creating smaller versions of those problems.)

The next Wing Commander should have love, betrayal, murder. death. Fallen heroes and heroes rising from the ashes. Personally I think the two greatest games ever made were Wing commander 2 and Privateer. So it should take elements from either of those games. The setting is not so important. But the WC2 storyline was brilliant and I'd like to see something of similar scale/scope made. I want a storyline that makes me feel when characters are killed. Not just another dead random AI.

The next Wing Commander should have love, betrayal, murder. death. Fallen heroes and heroes rising from the ashes. Personally I think the two greatest games ever made were Wing commander 2 and Privateer. So it should take elements from either of those games. The setting is not so important. But the WC2 storyline was brilliant and I'd like to see something of similar scale/scope made. I want a storyline that makes me feel when characters are killed. Not just another dead random AI.

Perhaps a new carrier as well... I'd be disappointed to find us back on a Bengal or even a Confed class. I'd be especially pissed if we found ourselves on a Concordia class.

I came up with a neat idea for a WC game that was a blend of the traditional structured storyline and Privateer style openness. It involved you, a confed pilot, escaping from a kilrathi POW camp with a stolen freighter and a band of beaten and all but defeated confed personel and civilians of various skills. It could be set at any time during the Kilrathi war really.

Basically, you would have a standard mission or two before being captured and then a more open concept where you choose which route, objectives, and wingmen, equipment to get back to confed space... I worked out some of the mechanics but I won't bore you with it right now.

That's an amazing idea. I'd be into it.

I honestly think that the pure space-sim approach that we all want is probably not the way the next Wing Commander game will be released as genre-wise. Though I hope I'm wrong :) I think it'll be a hybrid of sorts. I'd love it to be a blend of Borderlands inspired game-structure with space ships, that you can fly. Could work if done well. Obviously more story bits and dogfighting. With a Kilrathi incursion as a plot setting or something....but I'll stop blabbering.

Oh, and multiplayer hells yeah.

What could be a really cool idea for a new Wing Commander game would be to set it in WC I time, maybe aboard the Tiger's Claw and have it be kind of like a cross between Mass Effect and Freelancer where you could fly from planet to planet and meet all kinds of characters. Something that would really flush out the WC universe. Imagine traveling to all of the Terran Colonies and boarding Kilrathi ships as a marine as well as flying around in a starfighter and engaging in vicious dogfights. They could even get really ambitious and allow you to play as Human or Kilrathi. That would be awesome for me.

What could be a really cool idea for a new Wing Commander game would be to set it in WC I time, maybe aboard the Tiger's Claw and have it be kind of like a cross between Mass Effect and Freelancer where you could fly from planet to planet and meet all kinds of characters. Something that would really flush out the WC universe. Imagine traveling to all of the Terran Colonies and boarding Kilrathi ships as a marine as well as flying around in a starfighter and engaging in vicious dogfights. They could even get really ambitious and allow you to play as Human or Kilrathi. That would be awesome for me.

Are you talking like actually control where the carrier went?

Back