New WINE Plays Prophecy Smoothly (July 19, 2006)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
It may have taken six years, but Wing Commander fans running Linux seem to have a pretty robust platform to play their favorite windows-based games now. Mike Wagener reports that WINE version 0.9.13 and later can now play Wing Commander Prophecy without any special patches, tweaks or complex configuration. The results for him are smooth with no movie skipping or glitches during spaceflight. Mike's test system was an AMD64 X2 4400+ with Debian Unstable installed. The random crashes and other bugs we reported a couple years ago seem to have been fixed for the most part. Older Wing Commander games can still be played on Mac and Lunix systems via DOSBox.

--
Original update published on July 19, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
sry, should have posted here 1st. as i was saying wine has for some time been able to support the Vision engine used by WCP and WC:SO but there have been several glitches. the biggest being that the game does not accept inputs from the keyboard and everything typed goes to the console.

when i tried secret opps with wine 0.9.13 a month ago i always got stuck after the intro where i had to type my name in as nothing would work. got around this by using a profile from a windows based installation. i set the game into joystic mode and was able to do some stuff with the mouse and the joystic but its not WC without being ale to taunt an enemy or afterburn and stuff.

anyways i just wanted to know if Wagener has been able to get the game up and running 100% properly.

WCP on Wine

Yes, I have played through the original campaign up to the "paint the target" mission. The game is completely useable and very responsive.

But Chris unfortunately omitted the fact, that I am using the german retail version of WCP. To my knowledge this is a little different from the US versions.
I installed the game from CDs inside Wine which is a little awkward on x64 Linux but should be straightforward in x86 Linux.

I cannot test SO, since I do not own a copy.

For your keyboard. Is this an USB keyboard? If yes, see here:
http://www.winehq.com/?issue=271

I am still using PS/2 and all is fine.

good luck,
Mike

The German version shouldn't be significantly different -- Prophecy was published simultaneously in the US and Europe (including the translated versions). It's not like older games where the translated release would incorporate various minor fixes.

The first episodes of SO are a free download! You can grab them in our files section, if you'd like to try it.

Back