New WC project idea!...

Preacher

Swabbie
Banned
Here's an idea I have for a WC project to ponder: A "Wing Commander Complete Interactive Technical Reference". Please give me any feedback you may have on this idea, as well as any such rumblings you may've heard elsewhere (I've see no other reference to such a project out there on the web, so I believe it is an "original" idea, at least as it applies to the "Wing" universe).

I don't own (and haven't even seen, except for on store shelves) the "Star Trek Complete Interactive Technical Reference". But the idea behind the Star Trek title seems to me like one that would be a sure winner if applied to the "WingCommander" franchise. One look at the sheer number of sites devoted to WC out on the web tells me that such a title would have an awful lot of support out there. Not just from diehard "Wing" fans like me, but anyone who's interested in a deep and compelling storyline, as well as the rich history of the WC Universe.

Here's my vision (thus far) for what "modules" could be contained in this title:

--A VIRTUAL TOUR/WALKTHROUGH through a Confed Carrier would be a great idea (the Star Trek title has this feature). I've always wanted to walk unrestricted around the TCS Victory (and lately, the TCS Midway), and be able to see, with complete freedom, what the REST of the ship looks like. This module would fulfill that desire. It seems that all that would be needed to bring this reality about would be for one to take the Half-Life/Unreal/UT level editors, and start cranking out "levels" corresponding to different "decks" of the ship. Obviously, the sheer scope of such an undertaking would almost require that several people be working on it overall (which is why it seems a good "fan project" idea).
--An SHIP'S REFERENCE module that would allow the user to view both graphics and technical data on the complete lineup of all Terran fighters, from WC on through to WC Prophecy. I picture the interface for this as similar to the "choose ship/select loadout" screen in WC III and IV (just after your mission briefing and before flying a mission). For maximum enjoyment, though, it would need to include the ability to view the selected fighter at different angles & zooms-like the screen you see as you configure your simulator missions in "Prophecy". As an added benefit (to those of us fans of the earlier games in the series), the older fighters - from WC and WCII - could be rendered by an up to date graphics engine, thus allowing us to see what they were "supposed" to look like (i. e., without the hindrance of the now-primitive, boxy, pixelicious graphics of the WC1 & 2 games). This, it seems to me, is work that is largely already underway, in the form of the various "ship editor" programs out there on the net. All that would be needed is to pull together the graphics needed to render each ship in the universe that would be included.
--If you were feeling especially generous or ambitious, you could include (in the above module) graphics/data on Kilrathi fighters as well. You could even go for broke, and cram in Border Worlds and Nephilim fighters also!.... For brevity's sake, you'd probably exclude stuff from WC Academy/Armada.
--Another possibility would be to incorporate graphics/data on Terran Capital ships as well (and again, Kilrathi, Border Worlds, and Nephilim Cap ships could be considered, if you had the inclination...)
--A FLIGHT SIMULATOR module: the above Ships Reference module could be linked to, or integrated with, this module. This would enable a person to then go and fly any of the various fighters he's just looked at & read up on. There could either be a small number of preset simulator missions for each fighter, or there could be the ability to configure your own simulator mission (within certain limits) once you've chosen which fighter you'd like to try.
--AN INTERACTIVE TIMELINE module: This would tell of and depict, in a linear fashion, the events that have taken place in the Wing Commander Universe since the very first game. There could be graphics depicting most or all of the events included. Indeed, some of the more noteworthy events on the timeline would be interactive: by clicking on the associated graphic for the event, the viewer is treated to a short film clip or animation depicting that event occurring! (The destruction of the Iason, Custer's Carnival, the Destruction of Kilrah, etc.). You could come up with some sort of animation depicting some of the more noteworthy events. The main problem I see to this module would be resolving the "conflicts" present in the various WC universe timelines that are out there. These are due to additional (conflicting) timeline elements/events presented in the various WC books ("False Colors, "End Run", etc.). There may be other conflicts (ship spec's, etc.) as well, but I would guess the "standard" here would be to go with the Origin/EA facts whenever/wherever they conflict with the facts as presented in the WCM or WC "fiction" in the books. After all, the whole thing originated with Origin/EA (that is, Chris Roberts), so that should be your "authority" when in doubt or conflict.
--Finally, a (interactive) TECHNICAL REFERENCE module. This module would essentially tell you anything about the WC Universe that hasn't been covered by the other modules, especially, of course, technical details!. I see the content as being largely similar to the fold-out "map of the universe" that comes boxed with WC Prophecy. It would be able to depict/ explain to the viewer technical concepts like jump drive technology, jump nodes, how the various weapons systems work, some sort of 3D map of the explored sectors of the WC Universe, with indications of allegiance (Kilrathi-controlled space, Terran controlled systems, etc.), Details/depictions of TCSN Fleet operations, and anything else that comes to your mind to include.

Indeed, if you really wanted to get ambitious, you could even put out this product in two (or more) stages. There's certainly enough ground to cover - esp. if you profile Kilrathi/Border Worlds/Nephilim ships in the Ship's Reference & Flight Simulator Modules. It could conceivably take up more than the usual number of CD's to contain it all!..You could either initially release a main program (containing the main program "engine, graphics engine, etc.), and then an "add-on disk" later (that would require the original program to run). or else you could release two separate "stand alone" versions of the product. Either way, the "dividing line" between the two releases would most logically be the Kilrathi War. The 1st release would cover events/ships/weapons/tactics/etc. involved in that long conflict, and the 2nd release would similarly cover material pertinent to the times since the war ended (Border Worlds conflict, contact with the Nephilim).

Lemme know what you folks think
-Preacher

Well you could like ask Origin ( they wouldn't give a damn about WC) or ask People like HCI, Wildcat, Darkmage etc.
Your project sounds good. Make a website find staff that is my advice

[Edited by Cmdre Crane Seccafien on 08-05-2001 at 00:18]

If you gave LOAF ten million dollars and his own game company I'm sure he could work something out :)

Very ambitious arenet we? But it seems like another Kick-ass idea. Hell if something like that came out where i could walk through more of the ships and whatnot I would pay money for soemthing like that!

well exelent idea, why don't you set up a web page, ask some ppl to help you, reclute some ppl, and start working, no mater how mush time i will take you, we the WC comunity will whait for anything that got to be of WC

Back