New War of the Worlds movie

Lynx

Spaceman
There a new War of The Worlds movie in the making. Seems to be rahter old news, but I heard about it only recently.

Does anyone know specifics about it? Will it take place in a late 19th century Britain like in the novel, I would love that. The mix of Victorian britsh and Sci-Fi would be quite interesting and original. For example, I'd like to see the H.M.S. Thunderchild attacking that martian walker thingy.

Anyone knows?

If Spielberg is directing it, it should turn out pretty good, I havn't been let down by any of his other work so far.

Meh. I hope at the least they don't turn it into jingoistic flagwaving wankfest like Independence day, which basically is basically the remake of the fifties Wow movie.

The whole point of WoW is that humanity get's it's ass kicked by the Martians and can't do shit against them. I hope they still keep that theme.

No, they wouldn't take that away. However, I do wonder if it will be better than the fiftees version, which I really enjoyed.

It would be interesting if they would use muxic pieces from the musical version. I don't know how many people know Jeff Waynes pieces, they are simply wonderful.

What they should do is have at least one scene where someone is listening to the radio, and have it be from the origional radio broadcast.

Did anyone else watch the TV series back in the 80's? It started out good, but got worse as time went on.

Lynx said:
There a new War of The Worlds movie in the making. Seems to be rahter old news, but I heard about it only recently.

Does anyone know specifics about it? Will it take place in a late 19th century Britain like in the novel, I would love that. The mix of Victorian britsh and Sci-Fi would be quite interesting and original. For example, I'd like to see the H.M.S. Thunderchild attacking that martian walker thingy.

Anyone knows?

Cruise and Spielberg were planning on making this their next movie after Indy IV and Mission Impossible 3 but both of those movies ran into delays. Indy of course is always delayed :D but M:I3 wound up changing directors in addition to script rewrites. So they got a quick greenlight from all the producing partners and jumped right into it.

There are two WoTW movies - one is the Spielberg/Cruise version previously mentioned, and the other is a British production that's sticking very close to the book. I have to say that I'm pretty excited about the latter - it's the only production (with the exception of Jeff Wayne's excellent rock musical) that sticks anywhere near to being true to the book.

Back