New Freespace Game Nets $17K on Kickstarter (January 17, 2015)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Interplay and the Freespace Development Corp recently launched a campaign to make a new game in the Freespace franchise. It wouldn't have been a PC or console space sim though! The idea was for a miniatures-based board game with card elements as well. Everything would have been officially licensed, and it was even being designed by Chris Taylor of Fallout/Starfleet Command fame. Success could have potentially upped the chances for a real Freespace 3 to follow, but the campaign only raised $17,000 of their $75,000 goal. We're certainly empathetic about the project's untimely end, even if we're not the biggest Freespace fans here at the CIC. Hopefully they can find a way to relaunch with more success. Star Citizen makes it look easy, but getting people to donate to your cause is really hard! We're super proud that the Wing Commander community was able to collect $50,000 last year to make George Oldziey's live Wing Commander album a reality. That's no small feat - you guys rock!

In a strange twist to the Freespace series' legacy, Interplay only recently reclaimed the rights... for $7,500! Thanks to Tyrranus for the tip.

FreeSpace Tactics is a competitive game of space combat for 2-4 people in which players build hands of movement cards to dodge missiles and asteroids and flank opponents, employ pilot abilities and powerful Ace cards to gain advantages, and unleash devastating attacks unique to their ship miniatures.

FreeSpace Tactics is set during the timeline of the original FreeSpace PC game. In keeping with its origins, the stats for ship miniatures and weaponry, and features such as expendable afterburner cards, have been adapted directly from the digital games.

--
Original update published on January 17, 2015

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a shame the project failed; the game certainly looks interesting enough. Maybe the principal developer can re-tool it into a game for another franchise. Star Citizen comes to mind, were CR ever to want to branch that out onto the tabletop arena.

(Dare say WC?)

I don't think this is going to happen as it looks to me that the only selling point IS the Freespace universe. The gameplay itself look a lot like the X-Wing miniature game to me (but I haven't played it so I cannot be sure). Also the line 'officially licensed miniatures game" makes me believe that indeed this is based on that other game and already just mostly slapped new models on there. IMHO its too few in the box for the price and also the models are very bland.

I don't think this is going to happen as it looks to me that the only selling point IS the Freespace universe. The gameplay itself look a lot like the X-Wing miniature game to me (but I haven't played it so I cannot be sure).

That was my first thought. It doesn't seem to really be playing to the strengths of the universe either... you'd think they'd go for a more Battlefleet Gothicesque system with massive capital ships with giant guns and dozens upon dozens of expendable fighters, but apparently not.

Well they probably took what is most popular right now. Also Xwing vs Freespace might have been a selling point in their mind

Yeah, that kind of makes sense, but still, being a more obscure, less rich version of a more popular game seems doomed to failure.

Its just shell of old interplay trying to get few bucks,basically zombie company trying to milk some dollars before go down for good.Like anyone would care for tabletop game anyway and those freespace guys would only care if volition make fs3,but cause interplay holding all rights that never gonna happen.To bad if you ask me,nothing would make me more happy then new WC or FS3 instead that retarded pay2win,soulles abomination that is star citizen or boring,boring,boring elite dangerous.

Back