New Armor mentioned in WC3

Sonntag

Spaceman
Hello everybody,

first of all I would say hello to everybody after I have been away from this forum for several mounths due to my exam (Abitur in German) which needed my attention (it was ok). So I do not know so much about the forum anymore, if there has occurred something special I should know, would you be so kind to tell it to me? Thanks in advance.

THe real reason for this thread is another one, however. In Victory Streak (WC3), I remember that a new armor has been tested that would be immune to laser beams. Is anything known about this armor and whether it has been used in the fighters of the future (wc 4, wc5)?

Greetings

Michael

Hey Sonntag! :D

The armor you speak of is never mentioned again in the WC series. It's quite possible, considering the span of the Confederation, that it either never really worked, was adopted as a skunk-works operation or we just never hear about it. I believe it might have worked, but is just like the Black Box material on planes: too precious to use for anything but that...

You didn't miss much except me posting a BIG ol picture of the great Slave Labor Graphics Comic "Milk and Cheese"! :D

Originally posted by LeHah
Hey Sonntag! :D

The armor you speak of is never mentioned again in the WC series. It's quite possible, considering the span of the Confederation, that it either never really worked, was adopted as a skunk-works operation or we just never hear about it. I believe it might have worked, but is just like the Black Box material on planes: too precious to use for anything but that...

You didn't miss much except me posting a BIG ol picture of the great Slave Labor Graphics Comic "Milk and Cheese"! :D

Ok thank you very much. Are Manjana and Mekt-Hakkit still here?

Originally posted by Darkmage
Hehe Platolum alloy, that stuff sounds like fun :)
and the inside word is Buy, buy, buy....
Well, maybe it was as volatile as the New Economy. I doubt one could earn money with it, I'd guess the company lost 70% of its value the day the Kilrathi surrendered.

Anyway, its not my money... But as Lasers are still used in WCP, it might not have been used anyway.

that doesnt seem like a real good reason not to though. Even if lasers couldnt damage my ship, it doesnt mean thats the case with the Kilrathi, pirate, rouge nation or otherwise. You can have a impervious to laser ship that still equips lasers. Even if its just for asteroid break up or something. In fact, if you could have one thats impervious why wouldnt you? It might even dull the impact of some other kinds of weapons.

IIRC platolum was a new alloy made under delicate conditions. It's possible those conditions made it hard for this material to be mass produced. Alternatively platolum could be like titanium today. Stronger then steel, but so expensive and also difficult to weld, that it is impractical to use on a large scale.
Furthermore, if memory serves, platolum rendered considerable protection against most energy based weapons and shard bombardments (mass drivers) so it seems likely that the material would've entered service. Unless military cutbacks in the post-war era killed funds for further platolum development thus causing the material to be forgotten. Finally Pliers does mention that the Vesuvius has a new alloy, rendering it impervious to external flashpack attack. This could be platolum.
Last point. There has probably been considerable weapons improvement since 2669 and resultantly the effectiveness of platolum could've been reduced.

It should be noted that LeHah is correct in mentioning that the material has never been mentioned again. Consequentially further discussion about platolum is totally theory based, thus any claims are unsubstantiated.

Um, Platolum IS mentioned in the Wc universe again. You see, many of the newer ships use platolum as their armor. Vampire? Platolum. Wasp? Platolum. You get the point.

Hey Sonntag, congrats on the Abitur. I hear the gymnasium exams are quite tough. Enjoy the party afterwards...

Originally posted by Supdon3
lasers would stil be effective against sheilds in any case too.

Granted, though if the attacker is using a laser and another type of gun, the attacker's effectiveness is halved if the target has this anti-laser armor, thus giving the target a longer time period to evade his enemy. Lasers are pretty shitty weapons in the WC Universe, IIRC.

But unless your fighting another Confed fighter, who else is going to have the laserproof armor? Lasers are cheap, effecient, easily maintainable, with plenty of spare parts to use in them and they work on anyone who doesnt have Confed's newest technological breakthrough in armor. Anyone who doesnt have a military budget is likely to have them, and the Kats dont exactly have a working economy with which to go around getting replacement guns for all their ships. THough I imagine eventually the laser would fall out of use for everyone but Confed.

[Edited by Supdon3 on 07-22-2001 at 00:00]

IIRC the article about platolum implies that platolum gives better protection against all energy based weapons, not just lasers.

So you knock down their shields with the lasers or whatever and finish them off with a missle.

Me im a dogfighter, but you know most people rely on thier missiles. Why take a chance and get in close when you can blow em away with a missile from 100 miles away?

[Edited by Supdon3 on 07-22-2001 at 00:05]

The article implies that platolum provides better all round protection against all conventional attacks.
Secondly missiles will never replace dogfighting for the simple reason that they're not accurate enough. Also there are too many bugs for us to wax with missiles alone.

What i mean is that people who dont have the training of Confed or Kat pilots like free traders, mercenaries and pirates who arent former military pilots wouldnt have the skills to last long against those that do so they would rely on missiles. Obviously the bugs dont have much protection against Confed's guns so dogfighting is still useful and necessary (and fun!) like you said against their greater numbers.

I've never played Privateer but I would reckon that traders, mercenaries and pirates (assuming they had access to reliable equipment) would not be push overs. There are numerous instances of times when mercenaries and such were roughly equivalent to regular standing forces.

IIRC Panther used to be a pirate/privateer and I found her to be a less than fierce pilot. Now if you want a fierce pilot try Hawk ["Look at em burn!!"] or Blade ["No victims around Colonel"]. Perhaps even LeHah :)

[Edited by Penguin on 07-22-2001 at 00:45]

Back