Nephilim Remodels

Let us talk about destroyers.
Or rather, to hell with that, ALL PILOTS TO YOUR SHIPS THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

Done in 46337 triangles and 2x1024x1024 textures. And well, bump+glow for this render. Destroyed components include hangar and both plasma guns, so with a total of 10 (4x missile turrets + shield emitter / bridge / engine + launcher + 2 plasma weapons)... I think I'm safe here.
I have some ideas on how to make the glowing windows and it actually works, but I need to see if it looks okay ingame.

Attachments

• WCP_Orca_R4a.jpg
    WCP_Orca_R4a.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 238
Let us talk about destroyers.
Or rather, to hell with that, ALL PILOTS TO YOUR SHIPS THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

Done in 46337 triangles and 2x1024x1024 textures. And well, bump+glow for this render. Destroyed components include hangar and both plasma guns, so with a total of 10 (4x missile turrets + shield emitter / bridge / engine + launcher + 2 plasma weapons)... I think I'm safe here.
I have some ideas on how to make the glowing windows and it actually works, but I need to see if it looks okay ingame.

I don't think there's a big enough like button for this one! that's exceptional! I agree - you should do a 4K render.

If you want me to convert it to .IFF for you I can do that.

Thank you all.
/me renders a 4K.
You know, it still looks decidedly evil. Vision isn't gonna handle it that good, but well, 2x1024x1024 looks fine at close range.
/me renders an 8K.
Not perfect, but still good even in melee range when you go for turrets. And my first UV was set up for 4x1024x1024, eh.

... I just don't want our forum high command to bite me with "it's forum, not your personal file hosting!" if I upload a high-res render.

Sometimes you need some heavy muscle for your fighters. Putting aside Barracuda's combat capabilities (questionable, especially when compared to Kilrathi corvette that kills everything around), it's modelled and UVed. Now needs textures. Done in 3740 polies.
Summoning @DefianceIndustries, is there really any point in making the maser turret balls separate entities? They're not destroyable, after all.

Attachments

• WCP_Barracuda.png
    WCP_Barracuda.png
    276 KB · Views: 160
Sometimes you need some heavy muscle for your fighters. Putting aside Barracuda's combat capabilities (questionable, especially when compared to Kilrathi corvette that kills everything around), it's modelled and UVed. Now needs textures. Done in 3740 polies.
Summoning @DefianceIndustries, is there really any point in making the maser turret balls separate entities? They're not destroyable, after all.

I shall consult the ship files but honestly just send it to me as a single mesh, if I have to separate the turrets, I can do it myself later.

Another great peace of work.

My only crit from a technical point of view is you may get the appearance of turret masers firing through the hull when shooting towards the rear if the hardpoint is set up to match the domes.

I guess you could push the domes out a bit and/or angle them forward a bit.

0. I'd hate to rework the textured mesh.
1. The positions of turret balls sorta similar to those of the original model. I agree that I changed the original model enough already, but same, I won't be happy to change it even more.
Though I can't argue, it's gonna shoot through it's own mesh. Ergh.

0. Must have some programming background starting at 0 :)

1. The hardpoint can be tweaked with a little less firing arc and angled a little forward to reduce the effect. In fact the dome may actually make part of the turret mesh and not the base mesh so can be tilted without any noticeable artifacts.

"It is armed with several small “disco ball” weapons which emerge slowly from the hull to spray concentrated and devastating anti-fighter fire in almost any direction (though the potency of the fire decreases rapidly over range). The balls then must retract into the hull to recharge, rendering the ship temporarily vulnerable for several seconds. "
Maybe those disco balls should appear all over the hull but it was not possible to realize -back in the days (...and also today I think).
In the Description it had also 10X Alien Image Rec. Missiles. I `ve never seen it firing Missiles. Maybe it is possible to implement a missiles bank to make this littel "sea cucumber" more tougher than it is. :D

I had some thoughts about how I could implement this disco ball of doom in wcpunl. The weapon burst could be possible but the emerging/retracting part is a different kettle of fish and a bit beyond me.

Man, you're modeling these faster than I can get them converted. :) I suppose in the grand scheme it's better to have a backlog than not... :)

As for the firing arcs on the Barracuda, It doesn't fire aft (it's my favorite tactic when fighting them, get in behind it and hang there firing until it dies). The turrets are set up as a fixed cone from each barrel. I'll check the cone circumference against the model to make sure it can't shoot itself.

I can make an enhanced version with the missiles, but I wouldn't want it to unbalance game play. The AI wingmen are already stupid when it comes to these things letting them fire at them all day before reacting, giving it missiles might make it worse...:)

Spoiler: Hydra is the next bug capship in work now, but there's not much to show for now.
Instead of that, why not finish more bug fighters?
Ray Cluster!
I showed a finished Remora... long ago, but now it's actually here.
Ray Node: 171 > 3476 polies and and 256x256 > 1024x1024 texture.
Remora: 38 > 950 polies and now a personal 512x512 texture (though it may very well be an overkill).
And well, a pair of renders to compare old and new. Yes, I know that new bug textures are darker than original. I'm sorta okay with that.
Careful, one of Remoras have been upscaled 3x for "posterity needs".

Attachments

• WCP_Ray_Node_01.jpg
    WCP_Ray_Node_01.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 163
  • WCP_Remora_Tex.jpg
    WCP_Remora_Tex.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 166
  • WCP_Ray_Node_02A.jpg
    WCP_Ray_Node_02A.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 185
  • WCP_Ray_Node_02B.jpg
    WCP_Ray_Node_02B.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 173
Let us talk about cruisers.
Or rather, to hell with that, just stop and behold.
(no, resistance is not allowed)

Done in slightly over 40k triangles and five texture maps (though two of them are Orca shared details), plus glow and bump for this render.
The angle is certainly off, but who cares, since it still looks evil enough, right?

Attachments

• WCP_MUP_Hydra_Promo_Jpeg.jpg
    WCP_MUP_Hydra_Promo_Jpeg.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,059
Back