Need Help! Virus Removal

Lt.Overload

Rear Admiral
Somehow out of nowhere I got this strange virus which is disguised as an antivirus software called "Antivir Solution Pro" It doesn't let me run any programs and keeps telling me to buy it. Help somebody??

Those are the worst kind of bastards....at least it's an easy one...I got one on my work computer a few years back that was a disaster.

I never got stuff like that personally, but I do know people who have. I didn't think about booting in safe-mode, but basically I had my friend open Task Manager as soon as Windows came up (the virus normally prevented you from opening such programs). Then you could easily kill the offending process and download a real anti-virus to deal with the problem (not the nasty buy-me-or-I'll-pester-you-forever software the virus was spamming).

I never got stuff like that personally, but I do know people who have. I didn't think about booting in safe-mode, but basically I had my friend open Task Manager as soon as Windows came up (the virus normally prevented you from opening such programs). Then you could easily kill the offending process and download a real anti-virus to deal with the problem (not the nasty buy-me-or-I'll-pester-you-forever software the virus was spamming).

IF it lets you open task manager, which they usually won't. I've seen that nasty one before myself. I've seen a lot worse too. There are ones that are even more annoying. They'll pop up and say "If your CD drive opens, you need Anti virus software."
Just for giggles I went to the perpetrators website to see what they offered... $80 for a one time clean out, yeah I'll trust that! :p
The real kicker was the disclaimer "We are not responsable for our advertisements." Yeah, I wonder if a lawyer would agree with you.
Back on subject though, Loaf's advice is sound. One thing I would recommend is getting a flash drive and installing "spybot search and destroy"on it. It's a piece of freeware I live by. If you get spyware that your anti virus software appears to ignore, then put the flash drive in, 9 out of 10 times the spyware won't prevent you from opening it. Run the program and then have it remove what ever it finds.

Uh, did you properly read what I wrote? I said that the virus normally prevented the Task Manager from being opened. That's why it had to be done on start-up, before the virus has a chance to run its own program and block you from doing so.

I had something like this on my computer at work last year. It covered up my desktop so i couldn't see it and told me that my computer had viruses and i needed to buy this program. I couldn't get to my desktop or task manager. It would reappear when i restarted. If i was quick enough i could open the task manager while windows was starting and stop this task before it started. Even after that though symantec, spybot, and malwarebytes couldn't remove it all, it kept comming back. To top it off I would also get popups on webpages with different ads. The computer ended up needing to be reformatted and everything reinstalled.

Uh, did you properly read what I wrote? I said that the virus normally prevented the Task Manager from being opened. That's why it had to be done on start-up, before the virus has a chance to run its own program and block you from doing so.

Yes I did read it right. ;) Sadly that doesn't always work either. A more... diabolical programmer aparently had one that superceded that on my machine. Had to use my own fix.

I had that one a year back or so. Have no idea how and where i got it, because it was the first real virus i've ever had. I'm verry carfull with downloading stuff i don't trust. Anyway, it completely fucked up my PC and i had to format it. From what i've read on the internet, it's a real nasty virus.

Back