need help running WC4 with OPTIMAL configurations

jonesmalaco

Chief Petty Officer
OK, I've been trying to run several versions of the game to meet my "personal requirements" with no avail. I'll list it step-by-step.

- I first installed the GOG version of WC4 (no DOSBox). The DVD quality movies are great, but the lack of subtitles enraged me (English is not my native language, so I pretty much need the subtitles). Since I've read somewhere that it's virtually impossible to have the DVD quality movies with subtitles, I guess I'll have to live with that. But then I found out that cockpit view and interactive parts (the ones where you click in whoever to talk to them) are in native resolution, and hence, has those thick black borders to the side, I simply can't stretch it to take up the whole HDTV screen.
ALSO, to make matters worse, I can't prevent the game to detect my gamepad (something I do with the DOSBox version of WC3, with the "joysticktype=none" option in the .conf file... so I can use the gamepad EXCLUSIVELY as a keyboard emulator). That way, the gamepad gets in conflict with the keyboard. So, by using xpadder, if I assign a keyboard command (like, "L" for locking the target) to the "A" button on my Xbox 360 gamepad, when I press "A", it locks the target and fires the guns at the same time (WC4 automatically detects the gamepad, and "A" button is joystick button 1, by default). Frustrated, I ended up uninstalling the game.

- Went up, and tried the 6 CD version, which I still have. Was able to solve the issues with the joystick (since I was using DOSBox, I could use the "joysticktype=none") and was able to stretch the resolutions in the cockpit and interactive parts. The movies obviously had subtitles, but they were looking like a total crap. But I mean, crappier than WC3. Something was probably wrong with the .conf file (I was pretty much using the same as in WC3). The movies were heavily scanlined, I can't even describe it. So, scratch 6 CD Dos version :\

- Last option, was to try the DVD Upgrade patch by Popsicle Pete. DVD quality movies with no subs (as expected), no black borders = stretched cockpit so they take the whole screen (can't explain how that one was possible), but can't prevent the game from detecting the joystick :mad:

Still haven't uninstalled this one. I am willing to re-install any of the other versions, if someone can help me out with this issues.

Thanks in advance!

WC4 {...} the lack of subtitles enraged me (English is not my native language, so I pretty much need the subtitles
Me too. :-(
I needed subtitles so badly that I was forced to make them by myself (of course, in addition to russian translation, I make English subtitles too).
Also, you can try German and French dubbings of game movies, but quality of these dubbings isn't so good. :-(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back