Nazi regime

Would you support a Nazi regime?

• Yes

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters
Yeah, talk about spectacular military failures. Should've listened to Patton.

Originally posted by TopGun

Omaha Beach which is the one in Saving Private Ryan, had the most casutys, cause there was a Panza division there.

No - the reason why the fight was so bloody there was that there was german 352nd infantry division (composed of eastern front veterans) deployed in this sector (it was not better fortified then others - only better manned). Allied inteligence thought that the only division in the region of landing zones (both american and british/canadian) was 716 inf. div. composed of captured russians, poles from silesia (there were even some koreans first forced into army by japanese, captured by russians and forced into their army, then captured by germans, and finaly captured by US soldiers - God knows what happened to them in Korean war with their luck...) - generaly very low quality troops. Most of german panzer divisions attacked british/canadian beachheads in the first days of invasion (only Panzer LEHR in the first day).

Originally posted by T8H3X11
Anyway, the Omaha invasion scene in Saving Private Ryan was painstakingly accurate, not bogus.

Except for the fact the mines were all backwards, right? Or did you just read a review by a movie critic?

Saving Private Ryan is based around a true story of a squad sent to rescue a soldier who's brothers were killed.

There never was a squad sent to rescue anyone because of his borther's being KIA. Not in WW2, anyway. The *real* story was that of a soldier losing his brothers, and being sent home when he came off the line. Not when some Tom Dick and Harry U.S. Ranger unit came galivanting through the woods to find him. Also the characters are generaly bogus. And finaly, the town the final battle occured in *doesn't even exist* and the German unit that attacked there *wasn't in Normandy at the time*.

The guns are real. The uniforms are real. The tactics are real. Omaha is real. The rest is Holywood. SPR is a movie, not a history lesson.

Don't get me wrong, SPR is a great movie. But don't parade around how it's all fact.

Considering the Normandy Invasion depicted in The Longest Day where the American soldiers literally ran from the ship to the wall and then over it and through it without resistance, I'll take Private Ryan.

It's also pretty darned close to the real thing. Picking nits is pointless, since you can't have a movie giving you the smells and physical sensations of running through Bastogne or Carentan or Arnhem. You can't recreate it completely and you never will. SPR did a damned fine job.

True name of soldier who lost his brothers was Niland. Two of his brothers died on the invasion day - one served in 82nd airborne and other in 4 infantry div. (it landed on Omaha), third brother died the same week in Burma. Original Ryan`s name was Fritz Niland, and he served in 101st airborne and he was dropped in Normandy (I am not sure but I belive he served in E company - portrayed in Band of Brothers TV show - in Saving Private Ryan Ryan is from that company - and I think that I read about it in the book of S. Ambrose that describes this company). Niland was sent home by the order of general Marschall (chief of staff). So the film is not so far from the history. Of course there were no rescue action and the town was fictional.

Considering the Normandy Invasion depicted in The Longest Day where the American soldiers literally ran from the ship to the wall and then over it and through it without resistance, I'll take Private Ryan.

There's a part in Stephan Ambrose's D-Day that one guy said that it was totally different than in the Longest day, where they got out of the LCVP's like wild banshee's, but of course most spent at least a half hour in the water.

Back