movie variety Rapier

Swordsman

Spaceman
Anyone done a mesh of the movie version of the Rapier (please don't stone me)? If so, is it compatable with WCP? As off-course as it is as a wing commander fighter, I actually (once again, put your rocks down) liked it as starfighter and could see potential evolution of it's design.

I actually built a model of what I dubbed the Rapier II movie variant out of a kitbashed 1/72 A-10 model, leftover parts from a messed up F-14 model, and styrene rods. It came out pretty well.

Anyway, I know someone did this model for starlancer. Is there one for WCP out there?

The movie Rapier would be... the Rapier I! ;)

Anyway, I can't recall any mesh being made for it... but would it be too hard to convert the one from Starlancer?

Originally posted by Wedge009
...I can't recall any mesh being made for it... but would it be too hard to convert the one from Starlancer?
Ah yes, the "flying cigar"... They shoulda called it the "Screamin' Stogie". That is one pig-butt nasty lookin' piece of hardware. Which raises the question:
"Yabut:...why would ya WANT to?..."
WCM Rapier = Uggghhhhhhh!

Hey, I liked it better than the retro 70's Galaga style Rapier from WC1. It and the gal who played Devereaux (did anyone catch that she or someone related got bumped in the opening scene of WCP?) were the ONLY saving graces of that movie.

I'd have to find the mesh and I'd have to get the guy's permission, but if someone could convert it, that'd be cool.

Well, I personally didn't much like the Movie Rapier (although I must say, it grows on you - I like it more every time I see it), but I can see why someone else might like it. Anyway, the best way to proceed would be to ask the person who released the SL version if they could supply you with the model in 3DS format. A 3DS model could easily be converted to WCP.

Oh, and in WCP, it's the ship that's called TCS Devereaux (named after her ;)) - not a person :).

Ah, that explains it. Sometimes I can't really make out what is being said.

I would convert it if I had a 3d program that could do it. I have to find the model again and I could ask the guy, then forward the file to someone else who could convert it unless the guy does it himself.

I will admit, it was ugly as sin and I hated it when I got the first glance, but you're right, quarto, it does grow on you like other ugly yet somehow very attractive things.

Just one question... once it's convert it, how would one go about getting it in the game? I would like to replace the Pirhana with it, since the Pirhana has the Stormfire cannon on it, but there isn't a folder with the ship models in it.

First worry about getting the model, and then worry about getting someone to convert it :). Once you have the model in 3ds format, you can always find someone to do it. And as for getting it in-game, that's also very simple - once you've got it converted ;).

I have the .shp, the texture file, and the spec file. can anyone work from there after the guy gives us the go-ahead?

SL Editing tools would be useful here...

Converting the SHP file to 3DS shouldn't be a problem: there's a Milkshape SHP Importer plugin (made by yours truly) which allows loading SHP files directly into Milkshape. From there, you can export directly to 3DS format. You can download the plugin at The Lancer's Reactor.

Mario

He's given permission. He's going to send me a modified 3ds file that has few enough polys to run in WCP and a better texture file. He will send it to me in a week. Who amung us will make the comversion?

Oh, uh, you might want to tell him to send the original unmodified 3DS model, too. WCP has surprised us several times, and chances are it will be able to display the model without a reduced poly count.

I have the original shp. but he wants to edit the textures. He's...not to proud of the originals and they'll be wrapped to fit the new model.

Hi there
I'm the one working on the model ;)
well, actually the modell it self is done, but the texturing needs it's time....
and allthough i think i have quite some modelling experience, i still have some problems with cylindrical meshes... so it could take another few days....
I'll post some pictures when i got the UVW coordinates right...

RE

little update:
rapiernew1.jpg

as you can see, not everything has texture coordintes yet. the hullplating isn't there either (that's one of the things i always do last) as some dirt and scratches.
the funny lines are just reference lines for me :)
the ship currently has about 600 polygons, if i'm not mistaken...

Lookin' good, lookin' good! I thank you so much for taking the time to create this model. I am sure once you finish the textures and tweak the model a little more that it will look great.

nice, the rapier for the movie was made out of a BAe Lightning, which is a beautiful aircraft,

many lightning admirors were against the film being made because they had to rip apart several lighnings, and not many are around anymore.

also if you want any help with converting it well just ask

Back