missions on planets

Have patience, DH. I did say that it would take a few days.
I've got a 2500 word assignment to write for Friday, if you don't mind.
smile.gif
As well as an exam and a test on Thursday.

Soon... soon this semester will be over...

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!

Last edited by a moderator:
It`s amazing how much people can talk about not correcting spelling mistakes, and yet this thread has had over 20 replies on the subject of correcting mistakes... including this one now that I think of it
smile.gif

Earthworm said:
And to your first point in this thread, Propehcy obviously didn't have any planetary missions because the engine probably couldn't handle them.

Uhhh... What about the fact that the bugs had no need to take over planets? A planetary mission would have been pointless anyuways.

------------------
Maestro: "Lighten up Spyder! We're not gonna die! We're gonna WIN!!"

Zero: "Hey, Maestro... Uhh... If you DIE, can we pick through your stuff before we head back to Sol?"

Maestro: "You can burn in Hell."

The bugs did attack Kilrathi planets…… Not to mention that we could have been fighting the Kilrathi renegades, mentioned in the ICIS manual, on planets.

Quarto, ok just as long as I know what's going on, no problem bud.

I don't think the marines fought renegades on planets, but rather asteroid bases and moons, ect. I don't recall seeing anything about planetary fighting.

------------------
Briceland
A wingmen is essential; they give the enemy something else to shoot at.

Death's Head said:
I don't think the marines fought renegades on planets, but rather asteroid bases and moons, ect. I don't recall seeing anything about planetary fighting.

"As I write this, it's been 58 days since we took out the pirates in Valgard system. We won that fight......... By way of comparison, Col. Dekker's men on the ground faced a much toughter fight than we did."

That's from the ICIS manual. And I don't imagine marine LC's going down on a planet without any fighter cover, so there could have been planetary missions in Prophecy.

COULD being the word of choice. We don't know from that that marines weren't fighting on a moon base(which could be ground to a pilot), in such a case, it would not help the marines out at all to have fighters puting holes in the base while they were still in it, especially if the base was an asteroid. The main goal seems to have been to capture the pirates for a show trial of sorts.

------------------
Briceland

Death's Head said:
COULD being the word of choice. We don't know from that that marines weren't fighting on a moon base(which could be ground to a pilot),

Actaly it was said by the CAG. And I doubt that she'd refer to a space station as ground.

in such a case, it would not help the marines out at all to have fighters puting holes in the base while they were still in it, especially if the base was an asteroid. The main goal seems to have been to capture the pirates for a show trial of sorts.

But don't you think that it's obvious that they were on a planet?

A space station isn't the only option for the pirates. But why do marines use a LANDING craft?(Marine LC). Mission types are referred to as old airial designations like CAG, CAP, ect. Why not refer to a landing assault as ground combat?

Three types of combat exist, ground, air, and space. Which one would you call a marine fight on any stationary target?
smile.gif

A ground base could prohibit fighter support becuase it would eliminate the marines' element of surprise. Assulting a fort is more efficient with small surprise force. The Kilrathi might have tunnels to intrench themselves in so making a few bombing runs before the marine landing would just piss 'em off. Fighter cover is used in WC to eliminate SAM sites and fighter support.

No I don't think it's obvious for a couple reasons. From what I've seen, pirates base themselves on small moons and rocks, not planets. The reason for that, being a planet is the first place anyone would look for them. Another reason they probably wouldn't choose a planet is for secrecy. The less people that know the location of their base, the better off the pirates are. On a planet, the local population may intentionally or accidentally reveal the bandits' local.
cool.gif

------------------
Briceland

[This message has been edited by Death's Head (edited April 04, 2000).]

Death's Head said:
A space station isn't the only option for the pirates. But why do marines use a LANDING craft?(Marine LC). Mission types are referred to as old airial designations like CAG, CAP, ect. Why not refer to a landing assault as ground combat?

But she's not refering to a mission type.... She's saying that they did better on the ground.

Three types of combat exist, ground, air, and space. Which one would you call a marine fight on any stationary target?
smile.gif

Hm, I think the CAG would say, Col.Dekker's marines on the station faced a.....

A ground base could prohibit fighter support becuase it would eliminate the marines' element of surprise.
I sure as hell don't want to be a marine in the Confed if you're in charge of planing the operations.
smile.gif
If they would send Marine LC's the pirate fighters would pick them out one by one.

Fighter cover is used in WC to eliminate SAM sites and fighter support.

And those Kilrathi obviously had fighters....

From what I've seen, pirates base themselves on small moons and rocks, not planets.
And I bet you've seen many pirates during your life.
smile.gif
Who's to say that pirates usualy have bases on rocks or moons?

The reason for that, being a planet is the first place anyone would look for them.

And no one will look for them on a moon?

Another reason they probably wouldn't choose a planet is for secrecy. The less people that know the location of their base, the better off the pirates are.

How's that? Who's to say there were any other people on that planet or whatever it was? The renegades in WC Academy were on a planet that didn't have anyone else on it, and they were hiden prety good.

On a planet, the local population may intentionally or accidentally reveal the bandits' local.
cool.gif

Like I said above, who says there were any people on that planet? I'm sure there are a lot of habitable planets that aren't populated in the WCU.

"But she's not refering to a mission type.... She's saying that they did better on the ground." Yes they had their feet on solid ground, but that's all we know. Some people call a 4-inch deck plate solid.

"Hm, I think the CAG would say, Col.Dekker's marines on the station faced a....." Not if were on a moon. Moons can have an atmosphere ya know.

"I sure as hell don't want to be a marine in the Confed if you're in charge of planing the operations." Good because I'd send you on the earliest suicide mission recommended by Confed HQ
tongue.gif
If I told you how I'd eliminate the fighters, I'd have to kill ya.

"And I bet you've seen many pirates during your life. Who's to say that pirates usualy have bases on rocks or moons?" Actually I have, in books. I also read pirates use isolated locations in ICIS.

"And no one will look for them on a moon?" I didn't say that, I said Confed would look first on planets, hinting the pirates would know about a search sooner, because they would be expected to draw upon the abundance of resources on a planet.

"How's that? Who's to say there were any other people on that planet or whatever it was? The renegades in WC Academy were on a planet that didn't have anyone else on it, and they were hiden prety good." I drew a conclusion based on the fact that without Kilrah, Kilrathi off world that survived the destruction would be settling elsewhere. The renegades would have been well hidden, well how do you know that wasn't Confed propaganda? In any case, Academy was a sim, where did it say "Historical Mission" I don't recall seeing such a line.

Death's Head said:
"Hm, I think the CAG would say, Col.Dekker's marines on the station faced a....." Not if were on a moon. Moons can have an atmosphere ya know.

And a big difference between a moon with an atmosphere and a planet, in this situation would be?

"And I bet you've seen many pirates during your life. Who's to say that pirates usualy have bases on rocks or moons?" Actually I have, in books. I also read pirates use isolated locations in ICIS.

And pirates in the 27th century will do everything the same. "Aye, captain, the Brits are runing so we can sail to our secret base now....."
smile.gif
And who's to say that a planet can't be isolated?

"And no one will look for them on a moon?" I didn't say that, I said Confed would look first on planets, hinting the pirates would know about a search sooner, because they would be expected to draw upon the abundance of resources on a planet.

Not all planets have that many resourced though. And if they had a planet and a moon with an atmosphere, both places would be equaly important to search through.

I drew a conclusion based on the fact that without Kilrah, Kilrathi off world that survived the destruction would be settling elsewhere.
But those aren't just any Kilrathi, or even Kilrathi warlords. Just a bunch of Kilrathi renegades that are fighting a war that's been over for years...

The renegades would have been well hidden, well how do you know that wasn't Confed propaganda?
Um, what the hell are you talking about?

In any case, Academy was a sim,

I'm talking about the TV series actualy...

where did it say "Historical Mission" I don't recall seeing such a line.

What the hell are you talking bout? Again? Historical Mission?

There were several pirate bases in Priv, and all were nestled away in asteroid belts...
And there were pirate bases in P2, also using space stations rather than planets...
And there was the TCS Gettysburg, where the evil pirate Bear came from.
smile.gif
While that was an extreme case and as such probably isn't too good an example, the Gettysburg was a ship, and the Rigel Supply Depot was a space station.

So there are some examples...

And we've also seen them on planets.

I never said there never were any pirates on ships/asteroid bases/standard bases in WC.....

Not to mention Ayer's Rock, the Mandarin Base. They aren't really pirates, but they are misguided fools.

I don't really feel like countering you anymore tonight EW, it's not worth my time.

[This message has been edited by Death's Head (edited April 04, 2000).]

Not to mention Zachary Banfeld and his guild, which is basicly a bunch of pirates, mercenaries, and privateers from FC, and the base they established on the Hell Hole.

Getting tired because you can't convince someone?
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited April 04, 2000).]

No, I'm tired becuase I worked my ass of for 12 hours picking up the slack from a couple of lazy smart asses-who are about to ge canned because of my influence with management, then going to classes after having stopped at home to do some remodeling work.

Back