Militia Paradigms?

JKeefe

Spaceman
1.0Pre5, no patches

Quite the firepower for a local defense force...
paradigm1.jpg

Never saw miltia Paradigms in the original, that's all.
At least I don't think I did. It was a while ago. :)

no they weren't...but you couldn't take missions from the militia there to deliver stuff to their spaceships--if you can in this, then we have to choose some sort of capship for them

If it's any help, right now militia capships (when they are generated, which is very seldom) have a 50% prob of being draymen and 50% of being paradigms.

With my patch they're all draymen I think, if not they're still 50/50.

With the WCU thingy they have an equal chance of being draymen or corvettes, and VERY occasionally a paradigm will show up, but only as a fixture in the system (it shows up as a nav point, as in it's acting as a temporary base -- confed carriers also do this).

The corvette is a cross between an orion and a paradigm and is available in three textures, almost clean, dirty and very dirty, depending on who owns it :) basically i wanted to make a generic light capship.

I saw a few of the new Confed draymans (Well, actually, about four dozen). They look very good. I like the insignia and the extra cargo space. Hey, look at those nice turrets, are those Tachyon bolts!?!...(explosion)

Yes, tachyon guns is tech that is specific to confed for the most part, so they use it extensively. Plus taking down a military transport should be hard ^^;

I'm looking for ideas about faction-specific techs, too.

confed - tachyon guns and turrets
kilrathi - not telling, already in the game
new faction i am not allowed to tell you about - machinegun turrets
border worlds - ???? leech tech maybe? it was developed there...
pirates - ???? i was thinking to give them the small cargo space, to represent ingenuity in finding places to stuff stuff... also they DO get a new ship.
retro - nothing, obviously

suggestions? ^^;

and thanks, i wanted the drayman to look a bit more WC1-ish.

hellcatv said:
when a mission needs a capship what sort of capship should they give to the militia.... a drayman!?

Militias need capital ships in much the same way as police officers need guided missile cruisers.

I think of the militia as something more akin to the coast guard than a police force, when it comes down to it they have approximately the same resources as pirates and retros, and are less well equipped than bounty hunters.

Spirit's right. The militia is much more like the coast-guard than the police. They definitely need a capital ship. I would suggest making it the drayman.

Lone Wolf said:
Spirit's right. The militia is much more like the coast-guard than the police. They definitely need a capital ship. I would suggest making it the drayman.

You're thinking of the ISS, which is Wing Commander's equivalent to the Coast Guard. The militia are supposed to literally be space police -- hence the donut jokes in the comms and all the talk of undercover militia oficers from the bartenders.

Militia units would be locally based, like 'safer' HD squadrons... they shouldn't need a capital ship.

If the Militia needs ships that are bigger than fighters (which is probably reasonable), they wouldn't be top of the line capital ships. Better a Drayman than a Paradigm.

We didn't give militia capships as part of some effort to ridicule canon, there simply needs to be a place to dock when a cargo mission is generated for the militia faction (which is the only time one is seen). Having one is a necessity. But no reason it couldn't be a Drayman.

typically a home defense unit is stationed on a planet, or stationed on a space station. given what LOAF has said about the militia units being locally funded by (i would assume) individual star systems, i would say instead of saying 'the police HAVE to have a capital ship to dock with....if you have to have militia cargo missions, then make the runs be to bases...not a ship. it's a logical choice. instead of giving the police the equivalent of a coast gaurd cutter, be logical about it. supply their home base, not some spaceship.

Brad Mick

You're thinking of the ISS, which is Wing Commander's equivalent to the Coast Guard. The militia are supposed to literally be space police -- hence the donut jokes in the comms and all the talk of undercover militia oficers from the bartenders.
Good point, but do the police search cargo vessels for contraband and fire on smugglers?

Say what you want about us being illogical or whatever but I don't think you are getting the point. Missions are randomly generated. Occasionally a cargo mission goes to a system with no bases. When that happens, there needs to be a a capship so you can dock. It's not a matter of us being illogical, it is simply a necessity with the current codebase.

'Change the code!' comes the cry. Someday perhaps but right now there are more important things to worry about than occasionally seeing a militia owned Drayman (such as why turrets are acting weird).

Good point, but do the police search cargo vessels for contraband and fire on smugglers?

Yes! What you smuggle in Privateer is drugs -- and we certainly assosciate the police with hunting down trucks full of drugs and whatnot.

Say what you want about us being illogical or whatever but I don't think you are getting the point. Missions are randomly generated. Occasionally a cargo mission goes to a system with no bases. When that happens, there needs to be a a capship so you can dock. It's not a matter of us being illogical, it is simply a necessity with the current codebase.

I'm no programming guy, but shouldn't fixing that be as simple as something like "if {system has no base} then {don't generate cargo missions there}"?

Also, why would there be a militia for a system that has no base?

Bandit LOAF said:
Yes! Also, why would there be a militia for a system that has no base?

Because some stupid paradigm crew decieded to chase a tarsus filled with donuts. loose track of it in a desolate system, and need to resuply before continuing the pursuit?

Back