Midway Vs. Vesuvius

WiLDD KaRDD

Spaceman
Now from what I know, 2 Vesuvius class super carriers are in existence, the other two were destroyed by the Neph and the UBW. Why's Confed stopping all production of the Vesuvius and building at least 10 Midway class mega carriers?

Now the Vesuvius outclass the Midway...why would you build more of the less strong and stop building the stronger?

------------------
WiLDD KaRDD

UBW-5th Fleet-Black Ops

WiLDD KaRDD's quote of the day...
"Who's more foolish...the fool, or the one who follows the fool?"-Obi Wan Kenobi

Considering the fact that a Ves. can be destroyed by one ship diving into the landing bay and firing guns for a little while or shooting a torp, compared to the midway which has multiple launch tubes (that means that the fighters can't all be taken out of commision by destroying the one launch area) and requires at least 3 torpedos to destroy (bridge and both engines)

TC

------------------
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

The Vesuvius is superior to the Midway in every area except its singal launch and recovery bay. But if confed fits the Vesuvius with those new magnetic force fields, than they would have an even greater ship.

------------------
"I'm putting you back in the cockpit Colonel, where you will be reunited with an old friend, the thrill of battle!"
-Tolwyn to Blair WC IV

"OH MY GOD!!!"

"You mean we have to spend MONEY to make ships better....well damn...."

Seriously, I don't think that spanking on some doors' going to slaughter Confed's funds
smile.gif

------------------
WiLDD KaRDD

UBW-5th Fleet-Black Ops

WiLDD KaRDD's quote of the day...
"Who's more foolish...the fool, or the one who follows the fool?"-Obi Wan Kenobi

Last edited by a moderator:
One more post!

NO, GO TO SLEAP!

One more!

NO I CAN'T!

One more!!!!!!!!

Looks like my second (evil) personality won.

TC Vesuvius requires at least 4 torps to destroy it. One for the bridge and for each of the 3 engines. And in these days after refits off the Vesuvius carriers, I think a single fighter can't destroy a carrier with just guns from inside. (and not many people are suiciadal enough to fly inside a hangar) Lets not forget both ships are carriers TC and aren't designed to fight with other capship they are made as platforms for launching fighters, and since the Vesuvius class has more fighters it could more easily stop any fighters or bombers before they get to the carrier. And the Midway has relatively weak armor, only 2000 cm, the Murphy class has better armor than that and the Vesuvius could have stronger armor.

WiLDD KaRDD AFAIK there were only 3 Vesuvius class carriers. Vesuvius destroyed by the UBW, St. Hellens and the McKinley in SO fiction. Many people say the St. Hellens was destroyed in SO but I'm not sure maybe it's somwhere in the fiction that I missed. Anyhow we have one Vesuvius class left. Why Confed stoped building them? It's peace time Confed doesen't want to spend to much money ot the military right now.

WiLDD KaRDD if I'm not mistaken all Confed ships with hangars have dors to close them.

This time I'm realy signing off.

No you're not! He he!

But first lets read some Freedom Flight.

------------------
Uh excuse me Mr.Cat, sir, but would you mind like ceasing fire for a little while so we can barbecue your god-ugly asses? Todd "Maniac" Marshall Wing Commander Pilgrim Stars

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited January 08, 2000).]

Your forgetting the TCS Eisen, Earthworm. The Midway recieves fighters from her which include Vampires, and only the Vesuvius and Midway Class ships carry Vampires. So there must be an additional Vesuvius class carrier.

------------------
"I'm putting you back in the cockpit Colonel, where you will be reunited with an old friend, the thrill of battle!"
-Tolwyn to Blair WC IV

*rings a buzzer*
BZZ!!!
Wrong!

The Ves CAN be destroyed with a single fighter because the class design was with a single launch and recovery bay that is UNSHIELDED.

OK... So there are the launch doors, but during a fight, they are left open for repeated launch and recovery...

It can literally be destroyed 'from the inside out' by doing so...
Remember... the Ves Super Carrier has its weaknesses, like all Large Capital Ships.
I can see squeezing some torps or even a Dart (haha >:p) into the launch bay to cause havoc. No major biggy.

Sure... it has big BIG guns, but it is dependant on its fighters, mainly the Vampire (which is good, nevertheless).
Remember, it IS possible, just not practical.

------------------
"To take one step forward, you must look back three steps... and walk forward while looking back... "

Confed is building Midways because they are cheaper. Also a Midway has not proven to be inferior to the Vesuvius. A single Midway class carrier, understrength at the time, repelled the bug invasion remember.
Anyways I think people are overestimating the inherent weaknesses of a launch bay runnign right through a carrier. How many times have you actually seen someone fly into the hangar? Also the advent of the Wasp class interceptor pretty much means that nothing with torps is going to make it into the hangar.

The movie... when you saw the Major Character's ships ram repeatedly into the Hanger Deck... almost lost the entire hanger crew from the decompression... heheh..

You do have a point though, which brings back memories, of the Solo Midway by itself (even though it almost got scraped).

Besides... it is a 'technical' weakness.
Any smart, two-bit, Commander can probably figure it out if he/she was in a pinch...

BTW, don't forget that the Midway is CONSIDERABLY cheaper than the Vesuvius. They needed the strength in numbers to maintain with the growth of the other commands.

------------------
"To take one step forward, you must look back three steps... and walk forward while looking back... "

As stated, the Confederation is producing Midway's because they're cheaper.

We don't *know* how many Vesuvii there are, though -- just that two of the four we know have have been destroyed (MSH and Vesuvius, leaving the Eisen and the McKinley).

The Vesuvius has two bays -- and one landing area with two catapults.

Confed plans to built 10 Midways.

------------------
Long live the Confederation,
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick
(loaf@wcnews.com - 302228)

The Wing Commander CIC
http://www.wcnews.com

"You go, LOAF! Get some!" -JPG

Kalkrath you seem to be forgetting all the bug fighters that tried to trash the Midway & failed. Hundreds literally.

I don't think it is likely that Confed only fielded a total of four Vesuvius Class Carriers. The oldest (if it had survived) would now be ten years old, which means that if only four were built the mainstay carriers of the Confed Navy would be even older (Kilrathi War era).
Now if they did only build four and two were destroyed, Confed now has only three heavy carriers (inc. Midway) in its entire navy. Cost aside, that seem highly improbable, after all, the Confederation controls over half a dozen Sectors.

------------------
'For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky'.

Wing Commander - Secret Ops Missions
http://saturn.spaceports.com/~wcsom/index.html

[This message has been edited by Primarch (edited January 08, 2000).]

It all depends on how you look at it. I think that the ranger class light carrier must have been updated, considering the original rangers were around before the Kilrathi War. If I remember right, there were like 3 fleet carriers left over from the war, and the also built and refitted more (ie, the Lexington).

------------------
-Tolwyn to Blair WC IV

And according to the ICIS manual the second Midway class megacarrier the TCS Mistral Sea will be finished in about 100 days. (100 days was said before the Midway even left to help the Kities) All 10 Midway carriers are suposed to be operetional within the next 5 years, so in about 2686.

------------------
Uh excuse me Mr.Cat, sir, but would you mind like ceasing fire for a little while so we can barbecue your god-ugly asses? Todd "Maniac" Marshall Wing Commander Pilgrim Stars

Kalkrath: You´re forgetting one thing: The Midway has...ME!
smile.gif
I single handedly (like many others here) had between 450 and 500 kills while serving on the Midway. Only difference would be that we´d all have to kill them in one mission.

------------------
The time is near.
There are 357 days remaining.

Last edited by a moderator:
Furthermore, we know that production of the ships was spead up -- we see the Mistral Sea in action well within 100 days.

------------------
Long live the Confederation,
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick
(loaf@wcnews.com - 302228)

The Wing Commander CIC
http://www.wcnews.com

"You go, LOAF! Get some!" -JPG

Ummm.... The names didn't suck. They followed the same theme as all ship names. Battles, old ships, mythological creatures and the like.

TC

------------------
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Twilight Purchase, and Cherlys Song IIRC.

------------------

Back