MetalJesusRocks The Price Of Freedom (January 27, 2016)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Today we have Metal Jesus Rocks' review of Wing Commander 4. This was actually created a while ago, and despite MJR's popularity, managed to stay under our radar until now. The quirky reviewer covers retro gaming with a dash of his own heavy metal soundtrack tossed in. Despite the odd theme, he's actually very good at what he does! We have the Playstation version of WC4 under the microscope this time, so if you're mainly familiar with the PC versions of the game, it's a good reminder of what you were up against if you played on consoles. There are some gaming system ports that are fantastic, but WC4's spaceflight engine took a hit in the translation, although its movies still hold up very well. Check out the full review below.

Wing Commander IV was groundbreaking when originally released in 1995 and is the best example of Full Motion Video in a game. Now is a great time to look back at this retro classic space sim shooter!

--
Original update published on January 27, 2016

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah i saw this a while back. Sorry I didn't post it here. Only disappointment of it was that it wasn't the pc version even though he has it in box on his wall lol. Metal Jesus Rocks!

It's kind of nice to see something different. There's lots of reviews of the PC version of WC4 - not as many Playstation port reviews.

This was the first version of the game I played and I remember not being thrilled with it even though I thoroughly enjoyed WC3 on the PlayStation even though I played that one on PC first.

When eventually I got my hands on the PC version WC4 became one of my favorites though.

I love MJR, another one of his really old videos I enjoyed as an old fogey PC gamer was his Earthsiege retrospective.

I must be one of the few that actually liked the WC4 port. It's different for sure, but I liked that it made use of the analogue sticks on the gamepad. I thought it flew fairly smoothly (though it's been a while since I've played it). Unlike WC3 it actually tried to work to the stregnths of the controller instead of the way the WC3 port just tried to cram every command from the PC version in. Also being forced to use the d-pad in WC3 made flying feel really jerky. I also liked the effort to include rumble effects. However I am not a fan of the crappy resolution used on the WC4 PSX video nor the fact that the game is abridged as well, losing several missions and paths (and videos) from the PC version.

I would need a PSP to do that... But basically it's just the PSX version in a digital download format (I believe you can use the same version on your PS3).

Back