Messing with WC2

Sharpshooter

Rear Admiral
I've been experimenting with WC2 these last few evenings... Basically, I'm mostly trying to figure out the AI's general behavior. I've found a few interesting things so far.

1) After experimenting a bit like I did, players will easily notice that enemies react very differently depending on how fast you fly. The accuracy of enemy ships also appears to be somewhat (read : very) randomized at times; which explains why it can take you *many* seconds to die when you're not moving and surrounded by enemies.

2) After a bit of training, I was able to learn how to predict Khasra's moves in SO1, and I was able to destroy his Gothri - which proves that this fight is not merely about luck.

3) Some people will tell you that you can make the Fralthra in SO1's last missions damage each other. This is untrue. I've made the Fralthra hit each other several times without using invulnerability (or any other kind of cheat), and they are immune to their own AMGs.

4) I've figured out how to give orders to "secondary" wingmen (like Bear and Buell...). I wonder why Origin made this feature so hard to find. Before I tell everyone how to do it, I'd like to know if anyone else has found this "easter egg" feature. :p

5) I haven't figured out how AMGs work yet. I've got a few assumptions, but so far I haven't been able to find a perfect strategy to destroy the Fralthra. I just hope the accuracy of the AMGs isn't too randomized...

6) Fralthra with AMGs apparently always try to head toward you... until you get close (I'd say around 5000), at which point they start heading away from you. If you get away, they'll soon change course and "charge" you once again.

1. Interesting

2. Please tell us more... :) I must try to spot his pattern myself.

3. True

Target the friendly, manually go through the communication menu, and dial the number just after the last valid one on the list, or something like that.

5. From my experience the Fralthra seem to have a definite firing arc. The AI tend to fire even if you are outside their guns' firing arc, though.

6. Watch DaveCasperMyer or Minzoferrari's replays on YouTube ;-)

2) Hehe, well, one thing I can tell you is that is that when his ship is getting badly damaged, you should make sure to always hit him with full guns (don't miss!)... but even that may not be enough to prevent him from running away - so it can help to make him charge you from afar (hint : try messing with your speed and see how his attack strategy changes) - that way you can get several free shots at him.

4) The "secondary" wingmen only appear in the comm list if you target them while there are enemies nearby. If you've managed to find another way to give them orders, congrats, but it's probably a bug. ;)

5) I've been experimenting some more... Apparently the Fralthra don't always fire at you - sometimes they'll fire at where they think you'll be in a few seconds. That said, I still believe their hits are somewhat randomized - sometimes they'll miss you even if you're right in front of them and have your speed set to 0. Moving around and changing speed unpredictably (without losing the torpedo lock, that is) does seem to raise the probability of avoiding the antimatter shots, though.

Back