Massive project, Flightsim

Bartinili

Spaceman
Right im venturing into the world of X-Plane, if you havnt heard of it google it, its a robust and really amazing flight sim, adn it comes with a program called Plane Maker, in which you can create your own planes, i am part of the Xplane .org forum and i am trying to start an initiative to create the Wing Commander world in the sim, And i REQUIRE,

Technical Scematics and drawing of the craft and carriers, i think i remeber the manuals to WC3 had them but i have long since lost mine if you cna help or create some new ones, i would need a standard, front back sides and top bottom views, and il try my best to get some XPlane people togetther to buld them,

Yeha cheers that covers most of tyhe stuff however the 4 and 5 guides domt inclued the blue print specifications that would be required so i would still be looking for people willing to either give some decent screen shots of front back side ect,,, or draw up some decnet diagrams afresh

But still cheers those link hove got a lot of very decent stuff

OO just nlooked over some, and its still missing from what i can tell the carrier blue prints adn i dont remebr there being anyof those but if anyone knows where they can find them i would be greatful, or agina if anyone can provide decnt screen shots or draw up some diagrams... regads john

Bartinili said:
OO just nlooked over some, and its still missing from what i can tell the carrier blue prints adn i dont remebr there being anyof those but if anyone knows where they can find them i would be greatful, or agina if anyone can provide decnt screen shots or draw up some diagrams... regads john
Glad to see someone making another WC mod but could you please type a bit slower there's lots of typos in your posts.

Bartinili said:
Yeha cheers that covers most of tyhe stuff however the 4 and 5 guides domt inclued the blue print specifications that would be required so i would still be looking for people willing to either give some decent screen shots of front back side ect,,, or draw up some decnet diagrams afresh

But still cheers those link hove got a lot of very decent stuff

What you're asking for simply doesn't exist for 95% of the ships and fighters in the Wing Commander universe. Such things were only made for a small handful of craft, so if you REQUIRE them, you're out of luck.

ChrisReid said:
What you're asking for simply doesn't exist for 95% of the ships and fighters in the Wing Commander universe. Such things were only made for a small handful of craft, so if you REQUIRE them, you're out of luck.

However...if you are interested in the Wing Commander 1 ships you will find some excellent high quality blueprints of the Confederation Fighters that Chris managed to scan in here at the CIC.

Kinda pushy, isn't he?

if you do a search on these forums, you will find lots of screenshots of most craft in the game. people sometimes make some requested screenshots for mod makers, but the mod makers usually ask nicely.

That, and misunderstanding how X-Plane works and how it relates to the WC universe.

X-Plane simulates by calculating the aerodynamics of the model given to it. The WC ships don't necessarily have any aerodynamics (they weren't created by aeronautical engineers to fly in real atmosphers). The end result is even if the exact blueprints and dimensions were available, the ships may not fly well, or fly at all. This is because the flight model is derived from the physical model, just like how real aircraft fly. (The author of X-Plane spends a lot of time perfecting his physical modelling)

Microsoft Flight Simulator, and the open source Flight Gear don't derive their flight models from their physical models - in fact, they maintain two separate models. A 3D mesh to display on the screen, and a flight model that tells how the plane flies. With this, you can have a brick that flies like an F-16.

Naturally, X-Plane does simulations the "right way", since it simulates real life, but in this case, that probably won't work out very well - after all, fictional aircraft are just that, fiction. They may fly, or not at all, or are simply impractical and unrealizable if their published "specs" are used.

there is an add-on/expansion pack for space "flight". You can fly a Space shuttle on it, IIRC.

Most sims go the MSFSim way, it is a lot easier. Even Falcon, Lock On and the whole Il-2 family.

X-plane is pretty hardcore anyway. it is more of a big playground than a proper "game". I wish I had the time to devote to mastering it.

Most sims do the flight sim way because it's the easiest and fastest. Calculating the model and all the interactions dynamically is a lot of computation, while flight sim uses a precalculated model in which responses are fixed. It's a lot less accurate, but it's a lot faster. Also, you can get the plane to look nicer on the screen - while X-Plane works, some aircraft have to have wierd things applied to them in order for them to fly right (probably a limitation in the X-Plane physics that makes them behave strangely).

Also, "arcade" flight sims that don't concentrate on accuracy want a fast performing engine - it just makes life easier so they can concentrate on fancy graphics and stuff.

AFAIK, X-Plane is the only flight sim that computes the simulation based on the physically designed model - everyone else has a flight model that's independent of the onscreen 3D mesh.

Worf said:
X-Plane simulates by calculating the aerodynamics of the model given to it. The WC ships don't necessarily have any aerodynamics (they weren't created by aeronautical engineers to fly in real atmosphers). The end result is even if the exact blueprints and dimensions were available, the ships may not fly well, or fly at all. This is because the flight model is derived from the physical model, just like how real aircraft fly. (The author of X-Plane spends a lot of time perfecting his physical modelling)

It would be funny to see how it caculated the Avenger's flight characteristics. The good ole flying brick.

Worf said:
Most sims do the flight sim way because it's the easiest and fastest. Calculating the model and all the interactions dynamically is a lot of computation, while flight sim uses a precalculated model in which responses are fixed. It's a lot less accurate, but it's a lot faster. Also, you can get the plane to look nicer on the screen - while X-Plane works, some aircraft have to have wierd things applied to them in order for them to fly right (probably a limitation in the X-Plane physics that makes them behave strangely).

Also, "arcade" flight sims that don't concentrate on accuracy want a fast performing engine - it just makes life easier so they can concentrate on fancy graphics and stuff.

AFAIK, X-Plane is the only flight sim that computes the simulation based on the physically designed model - everyone else has a flight model that's independent of the onscreen 3D mesh.
Oh, yeah, I agree with you.

However, there is ONE more reason for regular Flight Sims (the Non-arcade type) using a fixed flight model: X-Plane is a sandbox FS, most of the fun in it is making new planes and testing the model. Combat FSims doesn't need that. they can grab a big boatload of flight data on that specific plane that "stars" the game and make the thing behave kinda like the real thing.

I mean, If the only thing that the players will fly is a F-16, all you have to do is model the f-16 REALLY well. Sure, it is not as anal as doing it the X-plane way, but the developers have to release the game and make money out of it. and most of the time, it is good enough. i.e. the advanced flight models in Lock On 1.1 are awesome. try flying the Su-25T with a full load. It is unbeliavable.

Right im back

TO defend Xplane, right;

1.Yes you can fly in space,
2, It doesnt matter if the actual shape is not aerodynamically viable for an air craft, becuase there are many ways to compensate for this inclueding, slapping a 3d model of the aircraft on an invisible stable flight model,
3, Xplane has its own Aircraft making program and would be idealy suited to creating this form of project,
4, Xplane is designed for people who want to experience a realistic flightsimulator and construct and fly their own designs, and as was said befor half the fun of it is making the plains. which i happen to be intersted in doing.

The Xplane community has already shown it is entirely posible to create such ideas in xplane, for instance, there have already been made decent flying models of Battle star Galactica, inclueding Vipers and The Cylon raiders,

I shal post for specific screen shots in the other forum,

P.S i am new to this forum and some comments have seemed condescending and a little rude i apologise if my comment seemed in anyway rude or pushy

Maj.Striker said:
However...if you are interested in the Wing Commander 1 ships you will find some excellent high quality blueprints of the Confederation Fighters that Chris managed to scan in here at the CIC.
The problem with those is that they are neat to look at, but a nightmare to anybody with even minimal drafting experience. Even the simplest features don't line up properly in the various (top/side/front/back) views. This would be a major problem for a project like the one being proposed in this thread.

hmm i ahve been looking at them and they doo seem daunting but i think i will have to use a combination of those and looking at them in the game, *any excuse to play the oridginal again ~~~*

Back