Mark Hamill's A Friendly Guy (April 25, 2005)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Our latest poll results are in, and people picked Mark Hamill as the actor whom they'd most likely to befriend. Tom Wilson came in a strong second. It's interesting to see how the results change over the course of a poll. Initially Malcolm McDowell and John Rhys-Davies were neck and neck with Wilson, but this changed significantly over the last week. Freddie Prinze Jr. lost the poll somehow.

Which WC actor would you most like to befriend in real life?

Mark Hamill: 36.02%

Tom Wilson: 20.41%

Malcolm McDowell: 13.66%

Clive Owen: 8.62%

John Rhys-Davies: 15.93%

Freddie Prinze Jr.: 1.87%

Matthew Lillard: 3.50%

Total Votes: 1230

Our next poll asks which situations were the most emotional and compelling for you in the series. Most options should be pretty clear for those who played the primary games. I wanted to give some of the slightly more obscure choices a chance at the poll as well though.
1) Archer kills Blizzard: After several pilots suffer mental instability due to stellar phenomenon in The Most Delicate Instrument, Blizzard tells Archer he loves her. In his twisted state, he then becomes convinced the Tiger's Claw has become overrun with Kilrathi and must destroy it. Archer launches and destroys his fighter after a tense confrontation. Later the ship's psychologist informs her that the mental suggestions that the affected pilots followed were based on genuine latent fears, beliefs and feelings.
2) Iceman finds his daughter: Iceman has nerves of steel and a bitter hatred towards the Kilrathi. Occasionally Blair is able to explore tiny bits of his personality and discovers his family was murdered by the Kilrathi years earlier. Finally in The Secret Missions 2: Crusade, the TCS Jerusalem intercepts a Kilrathi slave ship.. with one of his daughters aboard! "It’s been six long years, Maverick – but I’m going to see my little girl again."
7) Sheol overrun: Grayson Burrows was first office aboard the Scarab en route to Sheol, a deep space science station. The station's commander was overjoyed to receive the Scarab's supplies. Unfortunately it is discovered that the Scarab was allowed to arrive safely so that the hostile Retros could attack both targets at once. Though the Scarab manages to escape back to civilization, Burrows' captain and lover are dead, and the financially strapped crew disbands. Privateer begins as Burrows inherits his grandfather's Tarsus.

All of the poll choices are as emotionally charged as those three, if not moreso. We've narrowed down the selection to seven situations to choose from. If you have another one you'd like to share, click "Discuss" below and head to Crius.

--
Original update published on April 25, 2005

Last edited by a moderator:
ChrisReid said:
Our next poll asks which situations were the most emotional and compelling for you in the series. Most options should be pretty clear for those who played the primary games. I wanted to give some of the slightly more obscure choices a chance at the poll as well though.

All of the poll choices are as emotionally charged as those three, if not moreso. We've narrowed down the selection to seven situations to choose from. If you have another one you'd like to share, click "Discuss" below and head to Crius.

what? no 'angel getting gutted by thrak' option? or 'finally getting to ice jazz'?

How about the death of Vagabond on that station in Price of Freedom?

That was fairly emotional, I should think. Certainly had me shocked.

warlock said:
what? no 'angel getting gutted by thrak' option?
I agree, this would be my first choise also. Why wasn't it included. Spirit was a good friend, but Angel was Blair's lover!
TZSB424 said:
How about the death of Vagabond on that station in Price of Freedom?
That was fairly emotional, I should think. Certainly had me shocked.
It was more unexpected yes, but not more emotional that Angel's death IMHO, but I'd also put it in the poll

"Though the Scarab manages to escape back to civilization, Burrows' captain and lover are dead, and the financially strapped crew disbands."
That might lead people who didn't play to think that Burrow's lover was his captain, ehehehe.

I agree that Angel's death is missing, though. But all options a pretty hard.

A no-brainer for me, Angel being gutted like a fish by Thrak should be up there. I can't vote for anything else because Angel's demise eclipses all of the above.

Edfilho said:
"Though the Scarab manages to escape back to civilization, Burrows' captain and lover are dead, and the financially strapped crew disbands."
That might lead people who didn't play to think that Burrow's lover was his captain, ehehehe.

Yeah, I didn't want to make it more complicated though. It doesn't change too much if they perceive it that way, and I linked to the PDF of the manual in the post.

Of the choices up there, I voted for Spirit's death. I was really quite upset when that occurred, especially given the surrounding circumstances.

The most emotional moment in all of WC, for me, was Vagabond's death. I remember staring slack-jawed at my monitor when it happened; Vagabond was my favorite WC-3/WC-4 character and I was incredibly sad when he died.

While I was saddened by Vagabond's death, it didn't particularly surprise me, given the foreshadowing of the poker game before the mission.

(Black aces and black 8s being called the "dead man's hand" because it was supposedly the hand that "Wild Bill" Hickock had when he was shot dead during a poker game in Deadwood, a town in what would later become South Dakota. Spirit in WC2 had that hand, and so did Vagabond in WC4.)

I voted for Archer shooting down Blizzard, less because it was overwhelmingly emotional (Angel getting killed shook my nerves quite a bit more), but because it was very compelling. Apart from seeing something that unusual in a cartoon series, Archer's emotions opposed to her duties was very believable, and the ensuing trauma of not being able to shoot at the enemy was well implemented in the later episodes.

BTW, TopGun: Those nice big red letters compete for becoming the next emotionally involving event in Wing Commander history...

why thank you criticalmass

I haven't seen that episode of Academy, but it does sound quite Emotional

Angel all the way

Throughout the whole 1st half of WC3, I was barely holding onto the hope that maybe Angel wasn't dead and Blair could rescue her. When Thrakhath let loose on her, I was truly paralysed just watching the screen. no video ever did that to me

I'm going to have to go with Spirit's death - I remember getting sooo into the Wing Commander II story line playing way past bed time (I think I was 14 at the time). The foreshadowing was there, you knew something was going to wrong - yet you didn't expect her to perform a kamakazi into Olympus station taking her and her husband with her.

Everything about Wing Commander II was perfect - the ships were amazing, the story was great, lots of background.

Indeed the only reasons why I was so taken at Hobbes defecting in WCIII was not his performance as your Wingman in that game - but his actions and great intro in WC II.

Same with Angels death - I got into it but only because her character was so fleshed out in WC II - indeed WCIII was hours of "What happened to the Concordia? Where is Angel? Where is Doomsday? Why are all the ships so blocky? Where are the Gilgamesh class destroyers? What, no Broadswords or phase shield bombing runs?"

Back