Making the Games: Tigershark Artwork (November 14, 2008)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
The Tigershark never really got a fair shake -- the game made it clear that it was a clunky ship to suffer through early on until Space Superiority fighters became available... but it still has an excellent look to it that isn't quite like anything else in Wing Commander Prophecy. That 'whole body' cockpit makes it feel a lot more like a science fiction fighter than some of the others (which are more inspired by modern warplanes).

Thanks to Captain Johnny for both archiving and providing this material!

--
Original update published on November 14, 2008

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the Tigershark. It's not too flashy and of course worse than the Vampire but in it I could see where the tradeoffs from the agility and speed of the Piranha came. Slower and less agile, it had a definitive improvement in armament both guns and missiles and the added protection was nice as well.

So very unlike the Hellcat V which traded lots of speed, agility and 2 missiles for a very marginal upgrade in protection and gun power.

Right on, the Tigershark was a nice little fighter and an excellent wild weasel with its charging mass drivers and dragonflies.

The Tigershark is pretty decent in Multiplayer with it's charging mass drivers and dragonfly missiles.

I like Hawk's assessment in the ICIS manual that the Tigershark is a legacy of the general-purpose fighter design philosophy from earlier generations of fighters. I really didn't mind the Tigershark, as Mekt mentions, it is a good deal more powerful than the Piranha. Trying to shoot down Mantas when you're out of missiles is not fun.

I was never a fan of the Hellcat/Tigershark lineage. I'd always find myself wanting more speed or heavy armor instead of the middle provided by Tigershark.

I do agree with AD that the charging mass drivers and rockets are great in MP, but they also edge the Tigershark ahead of the Hellcat for me.

Back