Make Mcauliffe

Kevin Caccamo

Rear Admiral
I think I am interested in doing another cubic panorama of the Mcauliffe system. I'll need the amount of suns plus all information on planets in the Mcauliffe system. Thank you.

Well, let us know how that goes. :)

If you're *asking*, McAuliffe has two suns and at least six planets.

Well, let us know how that goes. :)

If you're *asking*, McAuliffe has two suns and at least six planets.

Thanks for the info! However, I need a few more details:

Color of suns (Red, White, etc.)
Type of planet (Oceanic, Gas giant, etc.)

If you don't have that information, that's ok.

IIRC one is a Red Giant and the other a white star (?) Not 100% sure though been far too long since I reread AS.

I think there's an Ocean planet in Mcauliffe mentioned in Wing Commander 1 (Hurricane?)

Edit: Looked on Wedge's site. Mcauliffe VI is a research colony and Hurricane is in the Port Hedland system.

McAuliffe VI is the place we see in Wing Commander I, where the scientists capture the Kilrathi marines. The Super Wing Commander novel claims that that is "a teaching and research colony housed in an orbital space station and a ground-based research facility" and the site of the "Terran Knowledge Bank". At the beginning of the war the planet (the same planet?) was connected via skyhook to Alexandria, a massive fleet installation.

The primary star was a red giant, the secondary was a smaller yellow dwarf. Action Stations describes a streamer of fire arcing from one to the other.

I do believe it's the same planet - McAuliffe VI. That red background outside the windows of the research instalation in WC1 does resemble the description of the planet we see in Action Stations...

Changes include:
* It's dated 2654.110 in various places.
* Several of the tuckerizing 'credits' are removed.
* Comm Relay adds two articles: "Rookie Turned Ace" and "All Aboard, Austinites"
* Bios for Doomsday and Jazz are added.
* Specifications for the Lumbari, Sivar, Snakeir and Star Post are added.
* Ship specifications are updated (more missiles on the Confed ships, mostly).
* The 'TCSO Show' advertisement is removed.
* Specifications are added for the weapons.
* The 3DO disclaimer (do not use, you will die) is named 'ATTENTION ALL HANDS'
* The Kilrathi aces have 'file numbers' and clan names.
* The 'history' is named 'Cat Bytes'.
* A short new article: "A Shaving off the Old Block"
* Pilot Profiles is renamed Comrade Clips and has a new intro.
* The Kilathi pilots have a new intro.
* The Borgers intro is cut down slightly.

I just made a test render for my McAuliffe cubic panorama. I've done a lot of work to try and get the suns right. I hope it isn't too bad. On a side note, maybe this thread should go into the fan projects and editing forum.

Suntestrender.png

EDIT:
Bandit LOAF said:
Action Stations describes a streamer of fire arcing from one to the other.
What's that? :confused:

What's that?

In these particular images the second sun is small, such as a neutron star but the second star can also be much larger. There are also examples of binary star sets where the second star has colapsed into a black hole.

ExNSframe1.jpg

In these particular images the second sun is small, such as a neutron star but the second star can also be much larger. There are also examples of binary star sets where the second star has colapsed into a black hole.

Hmmm.... Maybe I could do something like that with a NURBS curve... :rolleyes:

I just rendered and assembled the first draft of my Mcauliffe cubic panorama. Like the first time, you'll need Kube to view it.

Low-res (860 KB, 2048x1536)
High-res (2.12 MB, 4096x3072)

Sorry there isn't the "streamer of fire" that LOAF described, but this is only my first draft.

Here's a few test renders to try and get a better looking sun that looks like a red giant.

Sunrender2.png

Sunrender3.png

Sunrender4.png

Sunrender5.png

Which one do you like the most?

Back