Mac OS X dosbox joystick support

CrazySpence

Rear Admiral
Has anyone had any issues with dosbox and joysticks/gamepads?

I just purchased an iMac and retired my pc fleet (yes, it was a fleet) and I made sure to move over my Wing Commander stuff before powering them down of course. The easiest part was getting them to run and run great. WC on my shiny 20" iMac screen looks amazing however I have yet to get any gamepads or joysticks to detect in it even with joystick=auto. In another game Vendetta-online I was eventually able to get that to detect it and system profiler does list whatever I attach but Dosbox has yet to see it or if it sees it it does not use it. Anyone with any insight would be great! (aside from dual boot xp, I already have it)

I'm not really familiar with how it works on a Mac. In WinXP, as long as the stick or gamepad configures in windows and it is set to default, dosbox should recognize it. The exception is if you have more than one usb controler plugged in at a time. Often it will register the button presses but not movement of the stick. It's possible Macs have similar problems. Try making sure only one usb controler is plugged in at a time and make sure it's configured correctly in the OS. Then set your dosbox.conf file to true instead of auto. You might need to check what the timed= setting is.

If the game works fine in dosbox in XP on your dual boot that might be the best bet if the other options don't work.

I solved my issue

I have this device that lets ps2, xbox and gamecube controllers work through USB. This worked great on windows. On a mac i installed XBOX HID which fixed it for normal games and for my dosbox games the PS2 controllers works but the xbox does not. So I now play WC with a PS2 gamepad :)

Back