Looking for wallpaper

Loozer

Rear Admiral
If possible, could anyone post a pic or pics of the rec room in WC3. I would like to use it as my wall paper on my desktop(without the animation of, course) preferably 1024x768.
Thanks!
Hope I posted this thread in the right place :)

This is all I could find. Perhaps you can get the screenshots yourself using DOSBox. (CTRL-F5 is the screenshot key, I believe.)

That's a good pic, is there anyway I could resize it to 1024x768?

Unfortunately, I only have the KS version of WC3 and I don't know if I could run it thru DOSbox.

The pic looks good, however, I'm not too crazy about the moby games logo or the cursor on Vagabond labeling the text at the bottom, but you definitely got the idea down. Thanks for searching, and if you find anything else let me know

I'm still on the quest though, if anyone else can help, I would really appreciate it. :)

Wedge(009) of Wedge's Wing Commander Site posted a reference pack (5MB) of different WC images from the games a couple of months ago and I seem to recall there being at least one of the Victory rec room. The resolution will most likely be 640x480 (4:3) but should scale nicely to 1024x768 (also 4:3) although the resized image will lose clarity due to the enlargement. You can resize the image using most image editors/viewers -- something like Irfanview should do the trick. If you're still having trouble resizing the chosen image, attach it (or upload the original to imageshack or similar) to this thread and I or someone else I'm sure will resize it and then attach it for you to download.

I captured a number of screenshots (using DOSBox) of the UI/game menus from WC3/WC4 last year for the Homeworld 2 mod, which *might* be in this reference pack (62MB), but I'm not certain and I don't have the original files to hand at the moment, otherwise I'd post the applicable images in this thread.

Cheers,

Bryn

Maybe FRAPS can take the screenshots.

I tried using the Fraps software but when I hit the hotkey to take a screenshot nothing happens. Afterwards I check the folder where the screenshots go, and theres nothing there. I thought it would work for sure, but to no avail. Thanks for looking into it though.

Concerning the reference packs that BrynS linked; I could not find any bar scenes from WC3. :( Thanks for the help though.

It seems this will be harder than I thought.

https://www.wcnews.com/chrisreid/victorybar1024.jpg

victorybar.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Attached are the two images (resized to 1024x768) from Wedge's reference pack.

Bryn

Attachments

• wc3-rec-1024x-01.jpg
    wc3-rec-1024x-01.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 71
  • wc3-rec-1024x-02.jpg
    wc3-rec-1024x-02.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 65
Thanks alot, Chris and BrynS, you both have really made my day!!
I must have totally overlooked those photos in the refrence pack.
This is great, I'll be putting them on a computer at my work
I have 2 other co-workers; I've turned on to Wing Commander and they are slowly and surely becoming fans. They will flip when they see this.
Thank you both so much! This is very appreciated.

One of my favorite things about that scene might have been the destroyer up ahead. It was always kind of reassuring to see another ship leading the way. It was also much more detailed than the ship we saw when we were out in the space. When I was out flying, I would imagine what it would be like if the ships generated by the engine could have engine glows like that.

thats actually very interesting, I never really noticed or payed attention to that destroyer, but now, looking at it closely it seems very much in line with those capital ships from Arena.

finding little stuff like that is what makes this forum great!

Wow! I never realized that. I thought it was some kind of mechanical dropdown screen of the bar menu. My perception was completely off.

I'm pretty sure it's the Ajax that is visible behind the bar though (and from the bridge too), but yeah the animated engine glow along with the other animated bits in WC3 (doors, crew, etc) was very cool.

I don't really see the visual connection between the WC3 capital ship designs and the capital ships revealed so far in Arena. Apart from the shown Midway-class ship, the Arena capital ships seem to derive more from the WCM designs, especially as the "Give 'em a broadside, Mr Gerald!" scene from the movie appears to be the inspiration for the capship vs capship map shown in Arena.

Arena's Battlecruisers actually were based on the WC3 destroyer https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/7703 although other influences played a part as well.

I think what NinjaLA might be seeing is also partly a side-effect of both the WC3 ship and Arena battlecruiser being more detailed.

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I love a good movie tie-in, the Arena battlecruisers weren't really based on its thips... it's a case of two things developing from the same base concept -- 18th century naval broadsides.

Back