Long time WC fan, now solo-gamedev, presenting Star Nomad 2

Silverforce

Rear Admiral
I've always had a long love for spacesims ever since the early 90s, as a teen with a joystick in hand enjoying the wing commanders way too much. But the best times were in Privateer 1 & 2.

Back then, I had always wanted to be a gamedev, but life took a different course and I ended up in academia and a job overseas as a science post-doc researcher. But there was an itch that never went away and so a few years ago I decided to chase my dreams...

So I quit work and started from scratch, first learning how to draw & code simple games, then learning how to create a more complex game, and finally all that self-learning, trial & error has led me to my most recent creation, the space epic that I've always wanted to make!

banner.jpg

It's up on Steam Greenlight, about 90% completed as I add in more random encounters before the final balance phase.

I hope it captures some of that magic that we felt in the old days. If there's any questions, please don't hesitate to ask, and thank you, my apologies for the self-promo but I don't have the finance for marketing.

Last edited:
Thanks! It just passed Steam Greenlight this morning. Hopefully I can release Star Nomad 2 polished and bug-free in December. :)

Looks really cool! I hopped over to Steam to buy it...but it appears we can't buy it yet?

I'll anxiously wait. I've long waited for something like this. Good work!

-Minuteman

PS - Any cap ships to control? Any sort of relationship building between your character and other NPCs? Regardless, it looks fun. Certainly I'll be keeping an eye out to pick it up on release.

@Minuteman
It's set for release on the 14th. I'm doing a beta test now with gamers as well as reviewers, getting their feedback, particularly on balance & progression will help me to fine-tune it for a better game on release.

There's big ships with huge guns as well as big drone carriers. Though I've designed it to be viable end-game with small ships such as Corvettes as well, due to how evasive they are versus big guns and the universal launcher mounts can support Torpedos that pack a lot of firepower.

NPCs all have a heart-felt personal story which they reveal to you over time, then they offer the option of helping them resolve it via a difficult mission. Failure or success in those branches out and have consequences for the game world too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, excellent. That's not too long to wait, haha. Sounds absolutely fantastic. Thanks for sharing the link here - not sure I'd have found it otherwise. I'll check it out on the 14th!

Hey, always meant to chime back in on this thread. Great game, friend. I bought it and have enjoyed it. Great work! You should be proud.

Now we just need to make a Wing Commander mod for it and I'm set :-D

@Minuteman
Thanks for the support! I was happy with how it turned out, especially given my in-experience with game design and coding. But it's a good learning process and so far I am fortunate enough to be able to remain a gamedev.

If anyone knows JavaScript, they will be able to do entire conversion mods, but otherwise, in the next update (sometime today after I finish the final testing), I'll be updating the engine to read text file data for a lot of the game objects and AI so players can tweak things as they like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back