Loading Screen Artwork

Magnum said:
The 2 ships up at the top of the new Hornet chase one are pointless. They do nothing compositionally from visual or "story" standpoints. In fact, their engines blend in with the starfield, and you can't really even see them upon an initial glance.

I'm not sure why, but for some reason, people are nit picking these images more than people have ever picked on a set of Wing Commander images before. The two extra ships are fine. In Privateer, there were often a couple merchants just hanging out at a nav point doing nothing.

Howard Day said:
Anyhow, The biggest complaint that I heard about the second one is that the ships look odd viewed from the rear. I've fixed this. The Camel and rear pirate fighter are now coming towards the camera. It's much less confusing now - at least I like it more.

Aww, I liked having a shot from behind. It diversified the set somewhat at least. Something does seem a bit odd about all of them. They look hyperreal, and at the same time, minor things like perspective or focus seem off. Now this is only apparent because the technical quality is so high to begin with, but that might be why there's so much of a response here.

Death said:
Not only were the jump bubbles visible from outside of the cockpit with external camera views, they were also visible during the jump cutscenes.

Personally, I think you should stick with the traditional privateer jump sphere setup, and skip the flashy jump points of the other WC games. Pioneer is supposed to be a Privateer homage, as I understand it. If I'm not misunderstanding, then IMO you should keep the Privateer touches, in this case the jump sphere.

Death beat me to it all.

I think the screen with the dralthi could be made more lively with some damage on the civilian ship. I just remember Kilrathi in Privateer being such a challenge.

ChrisReid said:
I'm not sure why, but for some reason, people are nit picking these images more than people have ever picked on a set of Wing Commander images before. The two extra ships are fine. In Privateer, there were often a couple merchants just hanging out at a nav point doing nothing.
Like I said before, I think this project has an incredible level of quality, as I'm sure most others do as well. I think people would like to see the whole project have a uniformly high quality. This means more people are apt to comment on more things than in most other projects.

Personally, I've been looking at tons of military aviation and concept art recently, and things like that really stand out to me.

Magnum said:
Like I said before, I think this project has an incredible level of quality, as I'm sure most others do as well. I think people would like to see the whole project have a uniformly high quality. This means more people are apt to comment on more things than in most other projects.

Personally, I've been looking at tons of military aviation and concept art recently, and things like that really stand out to me.

I'm majoring in Fine Arts (3D Modelling) and I think they are outstanding.

I love the retro feel as much as the next person, but it just screams ... I don't want to say rip-off, but that's the first thing that comes to mind.

Oh come on, Bob. It's a nice retro flashback and tribute to Privateer. I like it.

And Howard, keep up the good work. I can't wait until Pioneer is out.

Yup, You were right, Eder.
If anyone has suggestions for more interesting loading screens, now's the time! I'll take any good ideas and bring 'em to life.

I like capships so maybe soemthing with a capship. Is it possible to support Capships with supply like in Freelancer? Then it might be interesting to see a scene where a transporter is arriving/docked on a cap.

What about something that is not in space...like the inside of a station with two characters disscussion about prizes.

You have also made these great cockpits so a shot from the inside might also be interesting.

Howard Day said:
If anyone has suggestions for more interesting loading screens, now's the time! I'll take any good ideas and bring 'em to life.

Is it possible to eject in Pioneer? How about a top down view of an ejected pilot (WC2 Style)rocketing toward the camera (like those nifty missiles in your other shots) as his exploding ship streaks by underneath and an enemy can possibly be seen veering away from the explosion.

If possible make fearful eyes visible through the ejected pilots visor.

I think the new versions are definitely improved. Especially the third one, which is fantastic. The Dralthi formation is more believable to me now.

As for new ones, it might be cool to see one inspired by Taggart's Tactics, like the second one on this page: http://claw.solsector.net/6.html

Howard Day said:

How about a few debris around a cargo can, and a player ship tractoring it in. Camera near the can and the player ship sort of medium distance.

Or a scene similar to the Privateer box art (if there is a major military base in Pioneer, that is).

Howard Day said:

I miss the more clearly visible missile in the Dralthi shot.

ChrisReid said:
I miss the more clearly visible missile in the Dralthi shot.
I agree. The lack of a big obvious turn on the missile's trail has forced a downgrade to 'bronze' from the previous level of 'golden'.

Back