Listen to a Wing Commander Track Like an Amiga Pro (February 11, 2023)

oh wow ! there was a thread on this and a link to the mod song for Wing Commander, I have plenty 'Module songs' ever since the Amiga 500 days, I can't remember ever playing the WC Amiga songs in Pro-tracker, the old 'modules' are 4 track songs, I used Mod-play back in the DOS era to emulate/play them.

Very cool !

Last edited:
Right so, .mod files were often used for games on the amiga. They use a number of sound channel tracks (4 here) to compose the overall music/song.
There's actually very few Amiga games that do not use .mod format for music as it is, in an oversimplified sense, a multi-track midi format, in that each channel plays and arranges a different track of samples stored in the computer memory.

The most prevalent applications on the Amiga in its heyday were Protracker and Octamed

yeah, Protracker looked so retro back in the day, I could just stare at the track indicator bars bounching along listerning to the song, it looked complicated at first until you try all the button tabs, you could swap samples and re-arrange the sound. there's software to write your own mod songs, recording samples and create your own music...lots of popular tracks were made into mod songs.

Last edited:
Back