Let's trade war stories....

Ice Viper

Spaceman
This one shows you how stupid the Prophecy AI is, I was playing on nightmare mode and i was in a Vamp loaded with light torps. I was right behind a Leviathan at maximum range when I noticed a Devil Ray flying towards me in the corner of my screen. I thought: damn! i either kill the leviathan or get killed by the ace! I launch my torp at about 10000 klicks and the dumb*ss Devl Ray flies right into it! I always wondered if the fighter was just plain stupid or if it was trying to protect its carrier?

------------------
Death is but a door, time but a window, I'll be back......

Same thing happened to me, 'cept I was in a Wasp, fired a Swarmer at the last Manta, and Stiletto flew into about 5 of the 7 missles. So, not only did I get to watch her die, I got to watch Zero and Maestro rip through me like a twig.
smile.gif

BTW, I like your sig, Ghostbusters II, correct?
smile.gif

------------------
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
Administrator: UBW 5th Fleet
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Striking a man down with your blade is clean and honorable. Shooting him in the back from the darkness of an alley and hurrying to blame it on another was something else altogether.--Darth Vader

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh. Now you know how Swiss Cheese feels.
It wouldn't surprise me if the bugs are programmed to intercept torps, nothing the bugs do these days surprises me.

That sounds like what Maestro said in SO.

Maestro said:
How am I supposed to keep up with all the bugs new technology?!

(OK, thats not exactly what he said, but I can't remember that part very well.)

------------------
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
Administrator: UBW 5th Fleet
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Striking a man down with your blade is clean and honorable. Shooting him in the back from the darkness of an alley and hurrying to blame it on another was something else altogether.--Darth Vader

Once I was flying. Then I see this bright purple light on the edges of my cockpit. Then I blow up. And it was the Cerebus.

------------------
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

I remember the many, many missions that I have flown for Confed, and later for the Union of Border Worlds. I geuss that WC IV was my favorite game in that there was massive fleet engagements (which I really lokied in Prophcy as well). Well, on the mission in WC IV to destroy the jammer-ship, (I was playing in Nightmare) I was able to locate it's poition. The fighters started comming after me and I engaged them with my wingman. After killing one of them, I turned and watched as the ship CLOAKED before my eyes! I said a prayer and launched 2 dumbfire missles towards the direction where I saw the ship last. I paniced and re-engaged the fighters, thinking the mission to be lost when on my comm I heard "OH, NO!! WE'RE GOING DOWN!" I turned to the comm signal was being broadcast and watched in glee as a massive cloaked ship exploded. However my moment of triumph cost me my ship as I saw 'missle lock' light up and I ejected right before the missle killed my Avenger. (Which was a really cool cut-scene!)

Well, that's my story,

DeltaKiller

steampunk said:
Once I was flying. Then I see this bright purple light on the edges of my cockpit. Then I blow up. And it was the Cerebus.

Oh how I remember the days...
When Playing Secret Ops...
Protecting the Cerberus...
Taking out missiles with my ship's guns...
Flying head on into Stingray Clusters...
To stop their shots from taking out Cerberus...
When suddenly...
No rear armour...
No rear shields...
Cerberus rips me apart.

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

------------------
Maestro: "Lighten up Spyder! We're not gonna die! We're gonna WIN!!"

Zero: "Hey, Maestro... Uhh... If you DIE, can we pick through your stuff before we head back to Sol?"

Maestro: "You can burn in Hell."

This may seem asinine, but... Playing Secret Ops once, launched a missile at a bug, bug pulled out, missile accidentally hit Cerberus. Next thing I hear over my comm is... " We have a defector!" Damn.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

DeltaKiller said:
I remember the many, many missions that I have flown for Confed, and later for the Union of Border Worlds. I geuss that WC IV was my favorite game in that there was massive fleet engagements (which I really lokied in Prophcy as well).

Hm, I wouldn't exactly call 3-4 capships a massive fleet engagement... Which is as much ships as we get in WC4. And in Prophecy there's about 5-7 capships at most.

Well, on the mission in WC IV to destroy the jammer-ship, (I was playing in Nightmare) I was able to locate it's poition. The fighters started comming after me and I engaged them with my wingman. After killing one of them, I turned and watched as the ship CLOAKED before my eyes!
He he, that's why you should kill it before engaging the fighters, so it won't cloack. And then you'll get shields and t
racking missiles back.

Well, my story is rather short, I was playing Prophecy, and on the mission where you have to launch the targeting disk at the Triton, I got the lock and when I fired a Devastator flew staright into the disk.
smile.gif
Well, anyhow, I got a com from the Midway that the mission is acomplished and I should get my ass back to the carrier. Something like that happened to me again in SO when a torp I launched at a Triton hit a T-bolt that was flying by. But that time I got labeled as a traitor and had to replay the mission!
frown.gif

Heh. I like DeltaKiller's Story.

But the mission wouldn't have sounded as cool if, for one thing, you don't sit around waitin for your bombs to go off while fighters are giving your buttocks a shave. I don't know how long it took for your panic to set in, or the capship going down disracted you, but the frigate isn't too hard to down, and it decloaks from time to time.

Actually, 3-4 capships would be a massive fleet engagement compared to WC1. And 5-7 capships in SO isn't a large fleet? I wouldn't be so touchy, maybe DK's used to seeing fighters and maybe one, or two capships. WC1 is like that.

Besides, it's a story, he should make it sound dramatic...not technically precise.

[This message has been edited by Death's Head (edited March 29, 2000).]

deltakiller? hmmm...were you Alphakiller by any chance?

just wondering, if so...i've been away for some time so i might have missed your announcement of your new callsign...

------------------
"Just close your eyes and pretend it's Wing Commander"

Ice Viper said:
This one shows you how stupid the Prophecy AI is, I was playing on nightmare mode and i was in a Vamp loaded with light torps. I was right behind a Leviathan at maximum range when I noticed a Devil Ray flying towards me in the corner of my screen. I thought: damn! i either kill the leviathan or get killed by the ace! I launch my torp at about 10000 klicks and the dumb*ss Devl Ray flies right into it! I always wondered if the fighter was just plain stupid or if it was trying to protect its carrier?

It happened to me too, but in WC3 for playstation, i fired a topedo at a Kilrathi carrier and a dralthi got in front of it, im not sure if that was inteded to happen, problably not, but it looked cool.
The kilrathi sacrified his life to save his carrier, it was the most brave thing i ever saw one kilrathi do. But unfortunately for him i still had torpedos and take that carrier down
smile.gif

By the way the AI in WCP/SO is somewhat stupid, because if you fighting a enemy and accidentally hit an friendly craft, you are a traitor, no matter how stupid it was, and if you didnot had fault, but when you are shot by others "friendly" craft, nothing happens to them, and this happen often, specially if you wonder around the cerberus too long...not a good idea during a battle
frown.gif

I'm kinda getting tired of hearing about the AI sucking aspect of Prophecy/SO. Doesn't it fail to be as good-or appear to be as good as the WC3/4 because of the graphics intensity and sheer numbers of ships?

Wanna kill a cap ship? Use Drathis. Ever try to make the enemy fighters collide with their capships? Heh. If it works, both ships are damaged, if not, well, heh better luck next time you load the game. If that don't work for you, use torpedoes. You can never have too many torpedoes.

I've seen some damned strange things in my WC experience. One of the most common things I see is Strakha colliding like mad every time they decloak and I turn.

Another is when I'm at the edge of the Kilrathi Fleet Carrier and launch a DF missile into the bay...boom, boom, boom, boom, boom...the fighters go down like dominos. When I inspect my work, the Carrier jinks-heh, hard for a capship. Sometimes I find myself outside my fighter trying to hold the wings on with my bare flight gloves, and then the reactor blows. Not my idea of radiation therapy.

In the Dakota missions I found myself paired with Knight, not the worst pilot, perhaps, but here's the story: I protect 2 Drayman class "blow me up" transports without any problems. When I beat the Jalthi at the last point and wait for the 'sport to jump, Knight gets between me and the 'sport. I am about 35 degrees of the port bow of the ship, when it jumps into a flash of light and Knight is hit by the 'sport as it moves slighly upon jump. What direction do you think Knight heads when he bounces off the Drayman? Well he is hurtled in my vector and *smack* my cockpit lights up and I make like an actor being flashed by the poparatzee. Bye, bye me.

------------------
A wingmen is essential; they give the enemy something else to shoot at.

Once upon a time, a young, brash Privateer named Quarto decided to take up the mission to kill a Dralthi fighter flying about the Troy system. What the hell, he thought. After all, it's just a flying pancake. Even if my Tarsus only has a a pair of laser guns and afterburners, I can take 'im.
As it turned out, the Dralthi is a tough bird when one is flying a decrepit old Tarsus. He took down my shields and severely damaged most of my systems... then a friend of mine walked into the room. "Oh, the shame!" He said, laughing. "Getting killed by a mere Dralthi!"
"Getting killed?" I replied. "Why, I'm just getting started!"
...several intense seconds later, the Dralthi lost its rear shields. The next shot took out its shield generator, and then I finished him off. Hehe...

I`ll be honest, this is a friend of mine`s story:
Maybe it`s not as hard as I think, but how many of you have managed to kill Thrakhath in WC3 when he tells you what happened to Angel, and get back to the carrier on time for the jump? My friend did it once.

Back in the days of WC2 I remember me & Hobbes were tasked with defending Olympus Station. The alarms go off & Hobbes & I scramble to challenge the might of the kitty empire. First pass I tell Hobbes to break and attack. He gallantly replies "Captain I have taken severe damage and am returning to base (or something to that effect)," & promptly disappears from my radar screen in the direction of the Concordia.
After a hair raising battle where I nail can't remember how many kats I head for home & land my battered fighter on the Concordia's deck. Sparks says to me "Captain, everyone here says that Hobbes did all the work & saved the station." Typical.
confused.gif

I waxed Thrak first time I saw him myself, but it was sort of a fluke. I dont remember what I was flying, but as soon as the clip of Angel's death ended I decided a preemptive strike was in order. Two salvos of four imrecs each will vape a bloodfang quite nicely. BG.

------------------
I don't respect your authority BECAUSE YOU HAVE NONE!!!

I see only two ways to kill Trak in the Loki line.
A) You burn like hell at first sight and luanch all you missiles in salvos as soon as you get a lock, assuming you have 8 IRs at max range.
B) You burn like hell and hope the solar winds are prevailing towards the bloodfang, and launch all your missiles at max range then go strait for the Victory and hope you can save a few seconds via auto pilot landing.
Disposing Trak is not like striking down God himself. In Kilrah he is no match for the Excalibur, and with enough time, even a Hellcat can take 'im out without too much trouble at all, at least not as much trouble as taking out Hobbes in a Hellcat then flying against several corvettes, heavy, medium, and light fighters.

Mad Hatter said:
I`ll be honest, this is a friend of mine`s story:
Maybe it`s not as hard as I think, but how many of you have managed to kill Thrakhath in WC3 when he tells you what happened to Angel, and get back to the carrier on time for the jump? My friend did it once.

Actually i did it, more than once, its not that hard really...
BTW, isnt anything wrong with WCP ending?
I just replayed it, in the last mission, you fly a vampire to take out the wormhole, but after it goes down, when Casey says "This is Casey, im comming home"or something like that, it shows a devastator...
What is that about?

Twister: Yes, I was AlphaKiller, and yes, you probably missed that post some time ago. (If I am correct it was called, "Do you remember the time...")

Death's Head: Thanks for the praise.

Earthworm: Try that mission on Crazy or Nightmare level, then you'll understand.

Mad Hatter: Done that once, same way that everyone's been saying. Take an Arrow, fill'em up with IR's, and BURN LIKE HELL!!
And if you, by some chance, don't get him in the first run, forget about him and go back to the Victory.

Back