K A R L

pygmypiranha

Vice Admiral
This is absolutely hillarious. My girlfriend Megan showed this to me and I thought it was creative and cute.

allaboutkarl.gif

Check out KARL's page. It's got videos of him swimming around to music and has some other funny things on it.

The truth about Karl:

The poison in fugu (pufferfish) is neurotoxin tetrodotoxin and although it is not always fatal, it can cause an unpleasant death. About 60 per cent of people who eat tainted fugu are killed, according to medical journals.

Within about three to 30 minutes of eating fugu tainted with the poison, victims show symptoms such as weakness, dizziness, a tingling tongue and mouth, nausea, explosive diarrhea and sweating.

Paralysis spreads through the body while the victim remains conscious, and the victim goes into convulsions while breathing is constricted. A person can die of respiratory failure in about six to 24 hours, depending on the amount of toxin consumed, journals said.

Tetrodotoxin poisoning cases are rare in the United States, but medical journals reported that in 1996, three people were poisoned by tainted pufferfish imported from Japan by a co-worker. No one has ever been poisoned by eating fugu at a licensed restaurant in the country, New York sushi chefs insist.

But, if the poison doesn't get you, perhaps the price tag will.

Fugu is an expensive fish. In New York, a complete pufferfish course meal runs about $150 to $200 per person.

Part of the cost of a pufferfish meal also goes towards the training and licensing of the cook/carver. When the stakes are that high (one slip of the knife...), the cook/carver of said pufferfish is highly trained (and licensed) and highly specialized. And probably of the highest level of integrity and professionalism as well. Sorta like fighter pilots, really.

Sorta brings you back to the $50 bill for fixing a TV by tapping it - "$0.10 1 tap with hammer, $49.90 knowing where to tap".

uh-huh, yeah.

i didn't know what to expect when i clicked on this thread, but i'm a little dissapointed.

I have a freeze-dried pufferfish hanging from my ceiling. He has cute little plastic eyes and is all hollow inside.

Hehehe, that's adorable.

My sister has two tiny puffers in her tank, they're really really cute.

Don't get the image that I think those fishes are stupid judged by human popular aesthetic cognition. They are just a kind of lifeform which contribute as part of an ecology system instead that what the human species does... and yes they look weird in our eyes, though.

Back