Just joined today...

ThorsHammer

Spaceman
after years of visiting this site :). I'm currently re-acquiring the Wing Commander series (thanks to ebay) and I had a few questions for you all...but before I do so, I'd like to take a little time and introduce myself and how exactly I came to be a big Wing Commander fan. Back in the late 90s, I acquired a copy of Wing Commander IV for the Playstation and fell in love instantly with the game, as well as the whole mythology. Up until now, I hadn't realized that this version was an edited version of the PC version, so I'm really looking forward to playing that over :). After beating that, I bought Wing Commander III for the Playstation and Prophecy for the PC, both of which I never finished for one reason or the other (I remember Prophecy was because of an insanely hard mission :(), so I've set out now to start from the very beginning and work my way through the whole series. Needless to say I'm very excited! Right now I've currently acquired a mint copy of Wing Commander Academy and Wing Commander IV and I'm in the process of getting copies of Wing Commander III, the Deluxe Edition of II, and the Deluxe Edition of Wing Commander (all of which are for PC). Will I need a joystick to play all these? I remember playing Wing Commander Prophecy and using the joystick I owned, but later on I played Freelancer and if I remember correctly, that was strictly mouse only. I'd like to play with a mouse if possible, but will gladly fork over the money for a joystick if need be. Also, I recently just built a new computer which is WAY more than is required to play these. I know I'll need DosBox to play all of these most likely (I'm running Windows 7), but I've read that changes might have to be made to run the game(s) smoothly...is there some guide either here or online elsewhere that explains what changes need to be made for optimal performance? I downloaded the Academy T.V. series from the website and was wondering where this fits in with the timeline? Thanks for any responses and I apologize for this being so long...

Welcome! Always good to see a friendly ship!

Question 1: Yes, you should acquire a joystick. It's well worth it!

Question 2: Yes, there is the CIC Tech Support Section which is a good starting place as well as the Tech Support Forum. Those two resources can help you over any hurdle.

Question 3: WCA weaves into the timeline around the game and movie. (All happen in 2654). LOAF did a nice timeline showing how they fit together. I'll try to dig it up later (on the way out the door now!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses! I'll look on Newegg and Amazon today for joysticks. I bought Wing Commander Academy on 3.5 floppy but the rest of the games I've accumulated are CDs, is there much of a difference in terms of running these on DosBox? I'm gonna have to buy a floppy drive too...I haven't used one of those in probably ten years :p

Welcome to the forums!

I downloaded the Academy T.V. series from the website and was wondering where this fits in with the timeline?

Wing Commander Academy takes place at the same time as Wing Commander I (depending on how much you want to geek it up, we can get you a day-by-day timeline:)). The only exception is the first episode, Red and Blue, which takes place before the game (it's set at the Academy and ends with Blair and Maniac being assigned to the Tiger's Claw).

Wing Commander And BattleTech both had cartoons that, I feel, were good but given time would have really grown into something great; but of course both got canceled after the 1st season.

Wing Commander And BattleTech both had cartoons that, I feel, were good but given time would have really grown into something great; but of course both got canceled after the 1st season.

You are definitely onto something! They had big plans for Wing Commander Academy's second season that were being laid in the first (similar to how ExoSquad worked). The second season would have shown us more of the war, the bigger political picture... and introduced the Hobbes storyline (with Gharal, the 'good Kilrathi' we see several times in the first episodes).

Hey,
as other people said before:
Yes, you should definitively use a Joystick.
Well, I also have a question to you:
Can you make some Screenshots of Blair's blue uniform and send them to me?
Need pics to rebuild the uniform... Costume for a Convention.
Thanks, man...

Good Flight

Right now I've currently acquired a mint copy of Wing Commander Academy and Wing Commander IV and I'm in the process of getting copies of Wing Commander III, the Deluxe Edition of II, and the Deluxe Edition of Wing Commander (all of which are for PC).

You inadvertently have a Wing Commander themed name then! Operation Thor's Hammer was the secret mission in The Secret Missions.

You inadvertently have a Wing Commander themed name then! Operation Thor's Hammer was the secret mission in The Secret Missions.

And the actual name of Thor's hammer (Mjollnir) is the name given to the KIS Karga after he was refitted by the Landreich and put into service with their fleet as FRLS Mjollnir.

:D

Ughhh...this is beyond ridiculous. I hate Ebay...I was outbid on Wing Commander I and Wing Commander II in the last ten seconds of an auction. I set my max bid high enough on both that I figured no one would even get close to it (I set it for like $80 U.S. or $48 GBP as it was a U.K. auction) and I still got outbid! $80 can get a Kilrathi Saga nowadays...unfortunately I already have III so I don't need the Kilrathi Saga but I guess I may have to go that route instead. I am having the worst luck as it seems whichever auction I bid on, everyone decides that's the one they want too :mad:. I guess I can take solace in the fact that whoever outbid me overpaid big time...so frustrating!

Back