just finished secret missions 1 of wc1

Jdawg

Commodore
im sad my retro journey is almost over all I got is secret mission 2 to beat.

first I wanted to thank yall for all the help yall gave me with the bugs I was having with the game and I just wanted to share my thoughts bc while I have beat wc1 before, I never played thru SM1 or SM2. I really like wc1 but I find it to be pretty easy compared to wc2, I only died like 5 or 6 times in my entire play thru of wc1. Plus I found the story to be a bit lacking. now saying that SM1 was hard and I mean damn hard, but I loved every second of it, plus I thought the story was a lot better than wc1 as a whole. I feel like they started really giving the different wingmen personalities and character traits. Plus the story at large of being that far behind enemy lines and cut of from confed was intense and memorable.

I loved the gameplay of wc1 and felt as a whole the ships of both confed and kilrathi to be far better balanced. I loved the story of wc2 but I always thought and felt that the kilrathi had far superior fighters than that of confed, even though we kept rolling out new "super fighters". I thought the best ships in wc2 for confed were the heavy bombers. but in wc1 I really liked most of the ships, the raptor was ok, I really like the rapiers, but my fav ship and this might surprise some was the Scimitar because of the mass drivers, I could take down most enemy ships with ease using the power slide. the mass drivers on the Scimitar seemed far more powerful than the mass drivers on the raptor. as far as enemy ships the ones that drove me nuts were the krants, those things could take a dang beating. I thought the Jalthi were pretty easy unless they gang up on you. What I found funny was after the first couple of SM1 missions there were no Dralthi to be found, they never were in battle.

In closing after beating SM1 some characters really grew on me.

Shotglass- I liked shotglass in wc1 but in SM1 I loved him.
Col. Halcyon-I loved the development of COl. Halcyon. in wc1 he was the standard CO and would give you the missions and evaluate your performance, however in SM1 the writers really developed his character a lot and I loved his little speech at the end of SM1, where he talks to each fighter pilot, you can tell he loves his crew.
Spirit- Like I said I never have played SM1 before but after playing it, I love spirits character even more, bc you get the back story of her fiance, it makes the events of wc2 all the more tragic, yet heroic for her.

as far as my blair so far he is a Lt. Col. I have 3 bronze stars, 3 sliver stars, and 2 gold stars. I have flown 34 missions I believe and have racked up 284 kills. Not too bad for a guy who is 30 and who has not played wc1 since he was 11 or 12. lol

Congratulations om beating SM1. Incidentally, I am about to embark on another tour of duty on the Claw starting this night. While I never found WC1's story to be lacking, I agree that the characters in WC1 really begin to shine in the expansion packs.

(...)I loved the story of wc2 but I always thought and felt that the kilrathi had far superior fighters than that of confed, even though we kept rolling out new "super fighters". (...)

This just baffles me - one of the reasons I was a slightly bit angry with WC2 is that it started the trend of giving the Kilrathi absolutely crappy inferior fighters when compared to their Confed counterparts. WC1 had some sort of balance. Kilrathi fighters were slower and less well armed but more manoeuvrable and better protected. In WC2 they were slower, less well armed, less well protected and sluggish as hell. The only exceptions being the Gothri and Bloodfang.

Yes, the Sartha especially had a slow turning rate for the "light, fast fighter" role--IIRC it turned at 4, while every Confed craft besides the Broadsword (and Crossbow in SO1) turned at 8 or more.

Congratulations om beating SM1. Incidentally, I am about to embark on another tour of duty on the Claw starting this night. While I never found WC1's story to be lacking, I agree that the characters in WC1 really begin to shine in the expansion packs.

This just baffles me - one of the reasons I was a slightly bit angry with WC2 is that it started the trend of giving the Kilrathi absolutely crappy inferior fighters when compared to their Confed counterparts. WC1 had some sort of balance. Kilrathi fighters were slower and less well armed but more manoeuvrable and better protected. In WC2 they were slower, less well armed, less well protected and sluggish as hell. The only exceptions being the Gothri and Bloodfang.

I thought overall the kilrathi had far better fighters in wc2 with the exception of the stealth fighters bc they could only take one or two hits. I feel like they could take way more damage, than any confed ship besides the two bombers. Plus I found ramming to be way more deadly and prevalent in wc2, where the enemy and friendly ships would ram you constantly. also your wingmates would shoot thru you far more often than wc1.

at any rate I died far more often in wc2 than in wc1. in fact I beat wc1 in what 18 missions. the only mission that was a challenge for me was the one where you had to rescue a cap ship about half way thru the game, that took me about 5 tries, bc the enemy would blow it up really quickly

Last edited:
Neither the Sartha nor the Drakhri struck me as particularily tough. True, the Jalkehi and Grikath can take a pounding but they're also big, slow and clumsy. WC2 may appear more deadly because of the rear turrets (but the Confed ships have them too) and the now actually dangerous capships. But I found WC2 to be quite easier than SM1 or SM2.

true I find sm1 and sm2 to be harder but then again I found secret operation 1 to be much harder than sm1 and sm2 so far (im still playing sm2)

im guessing im about about half way thru sm2 and I like it. but not near as much as sm1 and oh yeah phuck jazz lol

Last edited:
true I find sm1 and sm2 to be harder but then again I found secret operation 1 to be much harder than sm1 and sm2 so far (im still playing sm2)

I do remember SO1 being particulary hard as well but it has been a long time. I'm looking forward to re-experiencing it with my new WC playthrough. (I am moving at a snail's pace - I'm just in the first mission in Dakota).

I do remember SO1 being particulary hard as well but it has been a long time. I'm looking forward to re-experiencing it with my new WC playthrough. (I am moving at a snail's pace - I'm just in the first mission in Dakota).
lol yeah it is hard thats where the final mission is two cap ships who never miss with their cannons.

I think why I found wc2 harder is bc of the ships speed, the confed ships are so fast yet so fragile that one collision could kill you, not to mention at least in my experience the wingmen shoot you far more often than wc1

Back