just a few questions...

Dralthi5

Spaceman
I was just playing Wing Commander 4 this weekend, and is it my imagination or do the Arrows on the final mission (on the approach to Earth just before Tolwyn adresses the Assembly) cloak?
confused.gif
I know it seems unusual, but I could have swore I saw them appear and disappear from my scope.

Am I the only one that thinks SWACS pilots in Prophecy to be a bit reticent?
mad.gif
They only ask for help when they're one hit away from going up in smoke. And by the time I take off smart targeting, find them in the chaos of battle, and rush to their assistence, they're dead. More of an observation than a question.
cool.gif

Hey, why are the VDUs in Wing 3 on the PC green like that? PlayStation has VDUs in full color. Same thing w/ Wing 4.

Were Blair and Panther on the Tarawa during the End Run to Kilrah or at some other time?

On like the second page of Forstchen's part in End Run it mentions a pilot named Phoenix. Is this Blair? The situation it describes sounds similar to the mission in Wing 2 where a bomb explodes on the Concordia's flight deck and Blair and Shadow rush to their assistence from Caernovan.
tongue.gif

Anybody ever read Article 21 by William R. Forstchen? It mentions something called the Vacuum Breather's Club, the same name as the bar in Fleet Action. What's up with the same name thing?
confused.gif

What exactly is the Cult of Sivar? Don't all Kilrathi (except maybe some deviants
smile.gif
) worship Sivar, so why would it be a cult?

What's the deal with Gemini Sector? Where exactly is it located, and is there a Confed presence here? (I have Privateer
cool.gif
, but I haven't played it in months and I haven't gotten past even the first mission; It's sad, I know
frown.gif
)

Vagabond, I believe, is the same age as Blair, yet he has a pretty low rank. Does this have anything to do with his works in demolitions?
confused.gif

I better end it here. This is a lot of questions!.
eek.gif

------------------
If i'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure all of us have halucinated one thing or another after playing any WC game for long periods of time
biggrin.gif

I've noticed the same thing about the SWACS. Best to stay close to it, but not too close, and let the bugs come to you.

I always thought having green VDUs looked more realistic that full color. But I guess that's because I'm using real life fighters as a comparison.

And someone change the color of the '?' on top of the confused smily. I almost couldn't see them in Dralthi's post. I almost thought it was just a frown.

1) Yes, and cloakable arrows appear at several points in Wing Commander 4. They can be indentified by their unique paint scheme (well, and the fact that they can cloak). There are three different schemes for Arrows in WCIV -- Confed, Pirate and Black Lance. The Black Lance ones can cloak.

2) No comment.

3) The pallets in WCIII and IV PC lacked the ability to display as many colors as would have been needed for the VDUs to be colorized.

4) Both Blair and Panther were on the Tarawa during 'End Run'. Blair was *NOT* onboard for the Third Enigma Campaign, Opening of Red III and the Battle of Terra, though.

5) No, "Phoenix" cannot be Blair because that happened *while* Bear was on the Concordia, *after* SO1.

6) Article 23, actually. Forstchen reuses a *LOT* of names... there are *different* Noragami's and Lyford Beverages in End Run and Fleet Action... 'Elaine' is used as a female character *twice* in FA and then again in AS. Torg is both the doctor in FA and a Kat carrier in ER... etc. In fact, Article 23 is both the title of the third Star Voyager Academy novel *and* the article of the armistice in Fleet Action that prevents the resale of fighters.

7) Although Cult has a negative connotation for us, this is the dictionary definition...
*A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
* A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
* The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.

8) Check yer Prophecy map
smile.gif
Gemini is almost exclusivly Confed held (entirely Confed held after the war). On the 2D map it's 'up' from the Sol Sector.

9) The difference in ranks is probably more because Blair is such an excellent pilot than because Vagabond has anything odd about him.

------------------
Long live the Confederation,
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick
( loaf@wcnews.com - 302228)

The Wing Commander CIC

"You go, LOAF! Get some!" -JPG

4) Both Blair and Panther were on the Tarawa during 'End Run'. Blair was *NOT* onboard for the Third Enigma Campaign, Opening of Red III and the Battle of Terra, though.

That seems kind of strange.
kilangry.gif
I mean, why isn't Blair a WC of the Tarawa? He has a higher rank, he's more experienced, and is more famous. Another question, where was Blair shot down (from which he was recowering when the Concordia went down), and when? Also, was Blair shot down when he was on Tarawa?
biggrin.gif

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Blair was shot down during the Battle of Earth, while serving as Wing Commander of the Concordia.

Blair was on the Tarawa... *but* he may not have been a pilot. He was a member of Special Ops at the time. (We *know* that Panther wasn't a pilot).

------------------
Long live the Confederation,
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick
( loaf@wcnews.com - 302228)

The Wing Commander CIC

"You go, LOAF! Get some!" -JPG

Article 23, of course, what was I thinking?
eek.gif

About the same name thing, that's a bit unusual to have two Lyford Beverages in two different novels. It's not like it's a common name. Also, in Union Forever (book two of the Lost Regiment series) there's a character named Mantu.
tongue.gif
When I write stories I do the same thing, to be honest. Once I find a name I like I reuse it again and again. (I've used the name Tomo Nomura at least three times in different stories
wink.gif
)

Where was Angel during the Battle of Terra?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited February 11, 2000).]

kilcool.gif

kilrazz.gif

kilembarrased.gif

kilconfused.gif

kilgrin.gif

kilsmile.gif

kilwink.gif

kilfrown.gif

kilsarcasm.gif

kilangry.gif

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
smile.gif

------------------
kilangry.gif

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited February 11, 2000).]

Where was Angel during the Battle of Terra?

She was probably on her way to Kilrah, or already in the Kilrah system with the Special Operations team.
kilcool.gif

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

I think it's fairly safe to assume he was in either a sabre or a t-bolt. I hope it wasn't a piece of...hellcat.
mad.gif

Back