Japanese Animations

I went to an anime convention a few weeks ago. The highlight of it for me was getting a drawing of a platypus and watching CGI F-8s shoot down MiGs. That pretty much sums up my attitude toward anime.

Actually, no.

I basically treat anime like any other pop culture phenomenon. Some good, a lot of crap. My favorites are Crest/Banner of the Stars, Azumanga Daioh, To Heart, Dirty Pair, Cowboy Bebop and Miyazaki. I'm also an avid Planetes manga fan, although I never was able to get through the TV adaptation. I watch some Gundam, but primarily for the spaceships designs and combat (for me, 0083 symbolizes both the best and worst of the franchise). Same goes for Star Blazers/Space Battleship Yamato (which I haven't actually seen but judge solely on the line art from an RPG sourcebook). I enjoyed Outlaw Star a lot, and in fact it actually plays a relatively large role as to why I got so involved in this community in the first place (it's a long and embarassing story, I'll tell it later, possibly).

0083 is my favorite behind Char's Counter-Attack. All Gundam series' show a rookie become the best pilot in the show, but that rookie is far too often a 14-15 year old civilian dragged into the war. 0083 showed an actual pilot become quite efficient but it still showed him as vulnerable. The real key of the series for me is how they had me biting my nails waiting for the Federation to somehow stop the colony drop and save the day, and then before I knew it the Federation fails and the colony smashes into North America. The Delaz Fleet is annihilated, Axis shows their presence, and the Federation forms the Titans. These all point to the series being created to fill in some of the 7 years between MSG and Zeta, but it was a well done series in its own right in my opinion.

I can't stand most anime. I usually find it totally obnoxious or utterly inexplicable. But there are some notable exceptions to this. Particularly I've always enjoyed Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.

I also like Dragon Ball Z seasons 1-3. I'm not sure why I like that show. I just do.

I suppose with Dragonball it is with the original concept of fighting bad guys and defending the earth with the aid of the Dragonball blah blah.
Some people tend to get carried away with some of the anime, others are just pissed hate it, and others just want to enjoy it.
Ah there are so many Anime to choose from and I cannot decide what to like and what not to like, sure there are some that I don't like but I aways appreciate that people made an effort of creating a series and see how well it goes.
My personal favourite would be Naruto, Ranma 1/2, Neon Gensis, Macross/Robotech, Gundam, Kenshin, DragonBall Series, GTO, Initial D/Project D, Laputa and Valley of the Wind.
I would say there are more I like but these are my favourite on my list would probable change over time.....

And again, damn I would love to see a Japanese Animation of Wing Commander, I can imagine how the Kilrathi would look like. The graphics, the details....oh how much I would watch it over and over again....hahaha

I've watched lots of anime, so I'll forgo listing everything. All I really want to say is that Crest of Stars and Banner of Stars are something every sci-fi fan who enjoys anime should watch. It proves that the Japanese are capable of making a science fiction anime without the need for huge robots/mechs/Evas/etc.

Sarty said:
0083 is my favorite behind Char's Counter-Attack. All Gundam series' show a rookie become the best pilot in the show, but that rookie is far too often a 14-15 year old civilian dragged into the war. 0083 showed an actual pilot become quite efficient but it still showed him as vulnerable. The real key of the series for me is how they had me biting my nails waiting for the Federation to somehow stop the colony drop and save the day, and then before I knew it the Federation fails and the colony smashes into North America. The Delaz Fleet is annihilated, Axis shows their presence, and the Federation forms the Titans. These all point to the series being created to fill in some of the 7 years between MSG and Zeta, but it was a well done series in its own right in my opinion.

I haven't seen Char's Counterattack, but I liked the idea of 0083 - Gundam's version of False Colors, right? And you're right; we get a proper military crew and nice mechanical design and some decent politics behind it. Hell, I was so enthusiastic about it that I bought the sourcebook and got involved in a mod project for it even before I'd seen the whole series.

And that's where things soured. The entire Val Varo thing seemed to me like a pointless digression totally out of keeping with the general concept, and as for the plot twists, oh no, Burning dies *right* when he discovers the enemy's secret plans! And Gato used to be Nina's lover! Pointlessly!

The ending battle had some redeeming to it, but I can't help feeling they could have done it less hackenyed.

Since we're on the subject of anime and what not...I've been trying my hand at drawing. Unfortunately the results have been slow and childish. This is something I did tonight. UNfortunately it doesn't look like Anime nor like Marvel so...nothing like I wanted.

Attachments

• officer.jpg
    officer.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 109
Not too bad Striker, reminds me the women in the Navy in Starship Troopers
Anyone know who is good at drawing anime-style???

Bob McDob said:
I haven't seen Char's Counterattack, but I liked the idea of 0083 - Gundam's version of False Colors, right? And you're right; we get a proper military crew and nice mechanical design and some decent politics behind it. Hell, I was so enthusiastic about it that I bought the sourcebook and got involved in a mod project for it even before I'd seen the whole series.

And that's where things soured. The entire Val Varo thing seemed to me like a pointless digression totally out of keeping with the general concept, and as for the plot twists, oh no, Burning dies *right* when he discovers the enemy's secret plans! And Gato used to be Nina's lover! Pointlessly!

The ending battle had some redeeming to it, but I can't help feeling they could have done it less hackenyed.

I think it was inevitable that Burning was going to die, but I agree with you that it could have been done better. I also hated the Gato-Nina relationship, it seemed like it was an after-thought, thrown in just for the hell of it.

I was really into Dragonball manga when I was in middle school and today as a result anything character-wise I draw has a lot of Toriyama influence.

Added that I also used to practice drawing Chrono Trigger characters from Toriyama's character art

I used to be really into anime, and then I helped start up my college's Anime Club. I made the mistake of being one of the founding officers, and watching anime became more of a chore than something to enjoy. Except for the next-to-last meeting this semester, I hadn't attended for around four months.

I still watch anime, but not in the amounts I used to. The titles I still watch are Gundam Wing, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Golgo 13, Fist of the North Star, Speed Racer, Spirited Away, and Voices of a Distant Star.

When I was younger I used to watch Dragonball Z a lot. It was really good at the beginning, but kind of sucked towards the end... or maybe I just grew out of it.

No, it sucked after the Trunks saga. There's only so many times that some super-powerful being can threaten the Earth before it gets dull.

I would agree. After the Trunks Saga and the Cell Saga, it got a tad bit boring. Although during the Buu Saga it was not that bad though they could have change it a bit. But then DragonBall series is about 20 years and all so I would not complain about it.

Back