James S. Kirk?

I've read in the paper here in Belgium that all the main cast of this new movie signed a contract for 3 movies.
So as long the enough ppl go watch it, we get 2 sequels (at least)
This could very well be the start of a real comeback for Star Trek, wich is good for all SciFi, including Wing Commander. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the movie is good enough to appeal to a wide audience.
Let us know how you guys rate the quality of the movie compared to its predecessors, cuz I won't be able to go this week anymore I think.
Thx in advance!

Special effects were awesome, plot-line has no issues with it as far as I'm concerned. A few minor things that nagged at me (like a certain romance) but other than that I give this movie two big thumbs up, will see again and definitely hoping for a sequel.

Good to know, thx.
I'll go watch it next week on thursday I think.
I wonder what Loaf & co thought of the movie... they must have seen it by now

edit : I did notice the thread with spoiler warning, but I don't want to risk reading too much about the plot.

It's a pretty good space movie, the storyline is a bit wierd and to a certain extent gives them free licence to do what they like in the future (every previous star trek show is still valid but due to time travel silliness we now reside in a different universe!)

I actually think it works quite well, with the sole exception of the "kirk as a kid" moment - its completely un-necessary and really only deserves to be in there as otherwise the "spock as a kid" moment would be a bit arbitrary, that said, the spock as a kid moment sets up the next scene nicely.

Anyway, its not a terrible film, just really hard-core trek fans might hate it for not keeping "in universe" just in "parallel universe"

I actually think it works quite well, with the sole exception of the "kirk as a kid" moment - its completely un-necessary and really only deserves to be in there as otherwise the "spock as a kid" moment would be a bit arbitrary, that said, the spock as a kid moment sets up the next scene nicely.

I think the scene is somewhat essential in establishing Kirk as rebelious. Driving the car off the cliff seemed a little silly but the fact that he's doing it to spite his step father is telling. There has to be some kind of transition to teenage Kirk and there would have had to be something there.

Would something different than the car scene have been better? Perhaps.

Yeah, damn right something else would have been better. A 67 Mustang fastback, or a 69 Camaro SS. But a Corvette? Really? :(

Also, that thing was definitely a manual. I wanted to see how little Kirk could depress the clutch far enough to shift. He's good, but not good enough to shift without the clutch.

Back