James S. Kirk?

ELTEE

Vice Admiral
I heard a rumor that Pine announces himself as James Siberius Kirk at the beginning of the new movie - any truth to this? While I fully understand that errors can happen, this seems like it would have been pretty easy to fix in post production if they had wanted to...

Just curious if anyone's heard anything about it. Got tickets for Thursday in IMAX, can't wait!

I haven't heard anything about that. The actors in the trailer clearly use Tiberious at different points, so maybe someone heard Chris Pine wrong when they heard it in the screening?

I can't believe...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:James_T._Kirk

So much debate about whether or not and where to include a fan film portrayal. Haha.

Internet people were gnee-gnawing about this a while back; it wasn't Chris Pine -- it was Kirk-as-a-kid in the trailer. If you didn't notice it then (and I sure don't... because it isn't there) then it's just the internet being doofy.

Frosty, Chris and I are all seeing it at the Air and Space Museum in IMAX on Thursday... then we're going to a regular theater to see the non-IMAX version at midnight. Anybody in Maryland/Virginia is welcome to tag along.

Your IMAX location sure beats mine anyday, at least in terms of relating to the topic. I'm going to a Jordan's Furniture theater - yes, you heard me right. :D

I'll actually be in VA that weekend - heading down Friday afternoon to meet up with friends from college. Would love to get some golf in, hopefully the weather will hold up well.

I am quite excited to see this movie...

Your IMAX location sure beats mine anyday, at least in terms of relating to the topic. I'm going to a Jordan's Furniture theater - yes, you heard me right. :D

There's nothing wrong with that IMAX. It's either that one or you go into Boston to see it at the one near the Aquarium.

You can also get yourself a nice living room set and hope the Sox sweep so it's free.

Oh, don't get me wrong - the theater is great! I just wish it was an Air and Space museum since the movie is Star Trek - instead of a coffee table and sofa collection.

Though, in all honesty, there's alot of nice stuff there. I always thought it was pretty genious marketing to have an imax theater next to their furniture business.

"The Sox swept in 04, and again in 07..." heh, GREAT advertising! :D

Internet people were gnee-gnawing about this a while back; it wasn't Chris Pine -- it was Kirk-as-a-kid in the trailer. If you didn't notice it then (and I sure don't... because it isn't there) then it's just the internet being doofy.

Frosty, Chris and I are all seeing it at the Air and Space Museum in IMAX on Thursday... then we're going to a regular theater to see the non-IMAX version at midnight. Anybody in Maryland/Virginia is welcome to tag along.

I've already got tickets to see it at the Lux level over at Patriot Place for the midnight showing... CAN'T WAIT!!!

Yeah I've heard these rumors myself and watched the trailers again... sorry I don't hear it. I think that's been made up y movie junkies with nothing better to do/

Who is this 'Chris Pine' ?

Is it supposed to be (Captain) Christopher Pike?

Looking forward to the movie.. I've managed to learn surprising little about it thus far.. aside from a few spoilers that make me wish I could punch a writer or two in the face..

Yes, Pine plays Kirk. Not that it means anything, of course, but Roddenberry's son likes the movie - thinks it's how his father would have brought Star Trek to the new audiences.

Just 32 more hours!

Oh, don't get me wrong - the theater is great! I just wish it was an Air and Space museum since the movie is Star Trek - instead of a coffee table and sofa collection.

Though, in all honesty, there's alot of nice stuff there. I always thought it was pretty genious marketing to have an imax theater next to their furniture business.

"The Sox swept in 04, and again in 07..." heh, GREAT advertising! :D

And after the movie you can hit up Fudrucker's for a good meal. Oh and if you need some lumber Home Depot's right there too! :p

Yes, Pine plays Kirk. Not that it means anything, of course, but Roddenberry's son likes the movie - thinks it's how his father would have brought Star Trek to the new audiences.
Oooh, and a pig just flew by my window. Seriously - don't take this as an attack on the movie (on which I have no opinion, because of a complete lack of interest), but I would very, very seriously doubt the sincerity of any such words. Roddenberry's son may or may not like the movie - but if he goes around telling cameras that that's how his father would have done it, that's marketing money talking. Maybe I'm being excessively cynical, but I'm pretty certain he was paid to say it. Gene Roddenberry remains as some kind of "can't do no wrong" god to the Star Trek fandom, and if the movie's producers can do anything to persuade the fandom that it's the movie Roddenberry always wanted to make... that's certainly money well-spent.

Oooh, and a pig just flew by my window. Seriously - don't take this as an attack on the movie (on which I have no opinion, because of a complete lack of interest), but I would very, very seriously doubt the sincerity of any such words. Roddenberry's son may or may not like the movie - but if he goes around telling cameras that that's how his father would have done it, that's marketing money talking. Maybe I'm being excessively cynical, but I'm pretty certain he was paid to say it. Gene Roddenberry remains as some kind of "can't do no wrong" god to the Star Trek fandom, and if the movie's producers can do anything to persuade the fandom that it's the movie Roddenberry always wanted to make... that's certainly money well-spent.

HAHAHAHA Quarto you're awesome. I agree with this 100% Roddenberry's son is just like Ted Williams son. Willing to drag his father's name through the mud to make a little money.

and if the movie's producers can do anything to persuade the fandom that it's the movie Roddenberry always wanted to make... that's certainly money well-spent.

Thank you, captain obvious. :)

As a marketing professional, I agree 100% with you. Really, this entire scenario is an exersize in business after all. That said, I'm still nonetheless psyched to attend class tonight, which is being held in a certain IMAX theater in Framingham...:D

I don't think it's necessarily a payoff -- simple human nature probably makes the guy who is invited to the premiere and to visit the set before the movie came out a lot more supportive (and of course it's also his mother's last film -- I'm pretty sure there was never a chance he was going to viciously attack it).

(As for being how Gene Roddenberry would relaunch the series, that seems doubtful -- since he was, by most accounts, something of a crazy person with regards to the films, causing them to lower his involvement significantly as the series went on.)

A few of my friends are going to see it at the weekend, but I.....
I think I can't.
I still remember myself wanting to cry after I saw the tenth ST-movie. Not because it was sad, but because.... well, you all know that film. :(

And the trailers for the new one.... almost gave me a heart attack...

I won't go with them.

But I hope you all enjoy it, and please tell me how you liked it afterwards. I'm really interested. If you guys say it is worth watching, I will watch it one or two weeks later. :)

I'm seeing it tonight at 7, I'll be sure to leave my impressions on it... granted my standards seem to be a bit lower than most here when it comes to what I expect from this.

Can't believe no one mentioned James R. Kirk.

Attachments

• jamesrkirk.jpg
    jamesrkirk.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 194
Back