I've got a question...

LoneWolf

Spaceman
Everyone here knows a lot about WC, as do I, but here's something i don't know... Is WC:The Movie soupposed to be in anyway tied in with the games and books? I sure hope not. No offense, but the Movie sucked. Don't get me wrong... I LOVE WC... But the kilrathi were changed for the worse, and the story was completely different. Please tell me they're not suppose to be connected. And also, are there supposed to be more Movies in this story line comming out?

THE MOVIE DOES NOT SUCK, and of course it's conected with the games and books, it's the same universe. Story in the movie was different, just like it was in any game or novel, instead of giving as something we already saw, we got something that happened before WC1. Could you give us your risons for saying the WC movie sucked?

------------------
Uh excuse me Mr.Cat, sir, but would you mind like ceasing fire for a little while so we can barbecue your god-ugly asses? Todd "Maniac" Marshall Wing Commander Pilgrim Stars

Chris Roberts said that he wanted to give another aspect to the univers by making the movie different from the games.

------------------
Evilution!

The reason why I say that are that it takes a departure from the Gaming story line. The Kilrathi don't even look like Kilrathi. The ships are different. What the hell is a Pilgrim (It was never mentioned before) My point is, that they made a movie intended to appease the masses of movie go-ers; not us WC fans. They fabricated a story only loosely related to the real story line (Blari, Maniac, Angel, etc.) I'm sorry, it's just a personal bias against the movie. I wanted to see a WING COMMANDER movie. Not a movie about some teenagers in space. Sorry, just my opinion.

LoneWolf who's to say how the Kilrathi look like except Roberts, besides the Kilrathi look different in every game. The ships look different, because most of the ships are different ships (and yes the fact that ships look diferent makes the movie suck) So what if we never heard about the Pilgrims? Why can't Roberts add something new to the universe, and who the hell are Border Worlders, we didn't hear about them in WC1, WC2 or WC3, and sudenly there they are in WC4. I wonder why that doesen't bother anyone? I didn't know there was a "real" story line, so Prophecy doesne't have Angel, neither does WC4 so the two games suck too? What about Privateer series, or Armada, or most of the novels? You don't like the movie because it's different, and it isn't actualy that much different than the games. I'm sory but I don't see any reason not to like the movie from what you said. I liked the movie, and many other WC fans did too.

Hero I don't know about that, but I do know that Roberts himself said the movie was in the same universe as the games, and that's exactly where he wants it to be.

Wow I realy wrote a lot.

------------------
Uh excuse me Mr.Cat, sir, but would you mind like ceasing fire for a little while so we can barbecue your god-ugly asses? Todd "Maniac" Marshall Wing Commander Pilgrim Stars

Sorry, didn't mean to get everyone rilled up. I just don't think the movie and the games went that well together. Besides... Things like the Border Worlds in WC4 were ADDED not changed. Angel died in WC3, so that's completely different. As for Privateer 1, that was a different aspect of the WC universe. It was another thing in it, Like the Bounty Hunter series in Star Wars. And what about Armada? Did I say anything about it? It was a tradiotional WC game, just with added strategy and multiplayer elements. The novels also added to the story line. It went into depth about some already existing characters, and created some new ones. And another thing. "the Kilrathi look different in every game"... What are you talking about?? They are cats in every game, and look just as they did in the previous game. The only difference is that in WC1 and 2 they were animated and in the rest they were in FMV. I also never said anything about a 'real' story line, but rather two different ones. And by 'different' I meant changed. The kilrathi looked different enough that one might think they were another species. Are you telling me that they evolved and grew hair and changed appearance for the games? CHANGE is what i'm talking about. Do you ever hear of an 'increadible gift for navigating the stars' that Blair has? What I'm saying is that Blair was made a Pilgrim in the movie, and therefore something about his character was altered. I'm just sying that rather than adding something, it was chhanging something. Also, don't say 'whose to say Blair chose not to use his abilities' or 'chose to ignore his heritage'. It wouldn't make sense. Sorry, I'm just trying to defend my point. If Mr. Roberts said it was a part of the same exact universe, then fine. I'm not disputing that. Admit it, though. The Kilrathi look different. The ships, as i and Earthworm have said, are different. The story, rather than adding to the existing one, seems to start a new one. Again, this is just my opinion, and there's no way of changing it, so it's useless to go one with this argument.

You know what? I just remembered there were WC 3 and 4 books. Those were diferent storylines from the games. They existed in the same universe, but different events were included in them. But the main things weren't changed, such as the Kilrathi appearence, the over all conflict with the Border Worlds, and Blair's charecter himself. They were diferent, but not changed completely. Also, they weren't what i was thinking of when i talked about 'the books' With thosem I'm talking about Freedom Flight, End Run, Fleet Action, Action Stations, and False Colors. They were all additions to ther story. You might say that Action Stations was a story of Tolwyn's first actions, as was the the story a tale of Blair's youth. But in Action Stations, it didn't go off and say that Tolwyn was a Jedi, or that he was a Kilrathi spy, or anything else that would be drasticly altered from the gaming and book storyline. Anyway, again, my opinion, and my conceding to the point that yes, a couple books were different (but not in the same way as the movie)

Well LoneWolf I wrote you a nice long response, but my computer froze and I had to restart, I'll write it again later, but for now let's adress one of the isues. The Kilrathi do look different in all games. Don't you remember how Melek looked in WC3, and than in WC4. And the Kilrathi aren't cats so it wouldn't matter if they don't look like cats in the movie. And the Kilrathi in fact do look like cats in the movie. Did you ever see the picturese of them from the movie? Because they didn't show them to well in the movie itself. The Kilrathi in the WCM look like furless cats.

------------------

You know what... whatever. My opinion remains unchanged. Melek may look different, but the race itself looks the same. The kilrathi in the movie do look like hairless cats, but they have something extra to them. Like their uniforms or something... I don't know. Mabye the kilrathi we saw in the movie were all standing in back of a fighter when it kicked in it's afterburners. Mabye Blair got hit in the head and forgot how to use his 'powers'. I dunno. Whatever. My opinion remains unchanged, I'm sorry if i pissed anyone off, and I STILL LOVE WC!!

By the way... now that i have your attention, Earthworm, what would u think of a Wing Commander MOD for the game Homeworld. Using the COOL ships from the games (we'll leave it at COOL and DUMB ships) Anyway, no one seems to want to respond to my other post about this, and i want some feedback. Don't waist your time typing another post about the previous topic. No hard feelings. Forget it.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by LoneWolf (edited January 15, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
>Things like the Border Worlds in WC4 were ADDED not changed.<

Exactly what I wanted to show, the Pilgrims were added, nothing was changed.

>And what about Armada? Did I say anything about it?<

Yes you did. You said earlier that the movie didn't follow the "real" story, Blair, Maniac, Angel. Armada has none of those.

>I also never said anything about a 'real' story line, but rather two different ones.<

Yes you did, here's what you said "They fabricated a story only loosely related to the real story line (Blari, Maniac, Angel, etc.) I'm sorry, it's just a personal bias against the movie." So by I asume that by your logic a WC thing (game, novel, movie) must have Blair, Maniac, and Angel in them.

>Also, don't say 'whose to say Blair chose not to use his abilities' or 'chose to ignore his heritage'. It wouldn't make sense. Sorry, I'm just trying to defend my point.<

Um, I never said something like that, but that's what actualy hapened. You would know if you would read Pilgrim Truth, the sequal to the movie novel. Blair learnes a lot about the Pilgrims, all of the terible things they did. It actualy makes sense Blair doesen't talk about being a Pilgrim in any of the games. Why would he talk about it? Why would it be mentioned? The WC movie and movie novels are concentrated around Pilgrims, the games aren't and it would be meaningless in those games. Yes the ships look different, why? Because they are different, the Dralthi looks different in every game we see it, the Rapier in the movie is a model that was around for a centure, and the one in the game is a new model. Since most ships in all games are new ones, it would make sense that the ships in the movie are different. The Tiger's Claw, is the same ship, and it does look different. And I prefer her look from the movie, the one in games looks too cartonish. To finish this rewriten post, the Pilgrims added a lot to the movie, other than just fighting the Kilrathi we have a subplot. Blair has to fight all of that prejudice from other pilots, and some oficers. And the Blair being a Pilgrim actualy makes sense. He's a great pilot, one of the best in the Confederation. Why is he so good. He's half Pilgrim, and that helpes him in the cocpit. I'm sory I can't change your opinion, I thought the movie was great, nothing oscar wining, but great.

LoneWolf, I don't realy care about WC ships in Homeworld, because I don't have the game, and don't have any cash to but a new game right now. And I don't know what's wrong with your eyes, but I think everyone will agree with me that they do look diferent in the games.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited January 15, 2000).]

<Sigh> Ok, here we go.
OK, I did say 'real storyline' I just meant that with the inclusion of Blair, Angel, and Maniac (and others) did the movie maintain a bridge with the gaming story. I know there are other things that are similar, and u don't have to point them out.
I never said it had to include Blair and Angel and Maniac for it to be a part of the story line. I guess u got this by mis interpriting my statement i explained just before this. Alos, I just said that the books with Jason Bandarevsky and Ian St.John are great, and ADD (as in enhance, or build on) to the story, not change it. Do they have Blair, Angel, and Maniac in them? No.
I did not say anything about Armada. I know they didn't include Blair and those guys. I never said it had to in order for it to be apart of the 'cool' storyline. If I had, why would I even be debating about the movie?
Ok, the pilgrims were added. But the fact that they said Blair was a Pilgrim is what i was talking about. But i guess i can believe that he choses to not to talk about it in the books and games.
I wasn't even aware there were books about the movie and after it. I haven't heard of or seen any. I guess they exist, though.
I guess I wasn't specific enough about my ship argument. They had a completely different feel and look than the games and books. But I guess you can only do so much with old USAF F-86 Sabre hulls.
When I said 'whose to say Blair chose not to use his abilities' or 'chose to ignore his heritage', I was only anticipating possible arguments. I didn't say that u said it.

I beg u not to pursue this argument further.

OK LoneWolf, you have your opinion I have mine and it looks like were not going to change each others minds, so yes lets let this thread die.

------------------

Back