I've Created a WC4 HD Video Pack

Here you go, everyone - WCIV HD Pack V3.0

I've improved the efficiency of compression considerably with this release, so there are only two Zip files at around 3.9GB each (even though video quality has been improved) 😄
Just to celebrate the launch and as a bit of a teaser and a bonus treat, I've recreated the Wing Commander IV Original Theatrical Trailer with the new HD footage! Enjoy :)

I honestly can't believe how good the quality is. Nice work.

But I do not want to make a Microsoft Account...

That is entirely your choice, @Vidmaster 😉 I don't think you're actually required to - there should be a way to download the files without logging in. If not, though, and you have some free online storage that'll accept a pair of 4GB files, feel free to let me know.

I don't think you're actually required to - there should be a way to download the files without logging in. If not, though, and you have some free online storage that'll accept a pair of 4GB files, feel free to let me know.

You're already using one of the common major non-spammy file sharing platforms, so you shouldn't have to go out of your way to make the files any more widely available. We've got a mirror now too.

ODVS has agree to look into adding other audio tracks to the DVD files.
wingcenter.net had german DVD files already which should be easy to integrate.

What isn't up there is the french version of the game; does anyone have the French DOS version to hand that would be willing to extract the audio for integration (or just send over the movie.tre files so we can do it manually)?

Ditto on WC3.

I won't personally be doing any modding of the original game, but if anyone else (with exe hacking experience) were interested I could point them in the right direction to switch language on the fly (and resurrect subtitles) for the GOG version.

Last edited:
looks very awesome, i tried a few files but their sound seem to be all messed up, not sure what is going on though at some points they are fine and in others they are just mumble jumble.
edit: seems to be related to mono/stereo settings, they are jumbled up in stereo but are fine in mono

looks very awesome, i tried a few files but their sound seem to be all messed up, not sure what is going on though at some points they are fine and in others they are just mumble jumble.
edit: seems to be related to mono/stereo settings, they are jumbled up in stereo but are fine in mono

Ooh, thanks @Evil Overlord - I'll be honest, I didn't do any actual testing, since I did this in a bit of a rush und meine Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut 😝

I'll have a look into it shortly and see if there's anything I can do to fix that. I just literally ripped the audio directly out of the German DVD files and muxed them into my video remasters in place of the English audio. I'll see if I can track down the issue and fix it. Out of interest, did you test it in-game or using a media player like MPCHC or VLC?

Ooh, thanks @Evil Overlord - I'll be honest, I didn't do any actual testing, since I did this in a bit of a rush und meine Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut 😝

I'll have a look into it shortly and see if there's anything I can do to fix that. I just literally ripped the audio directly out of the German DVD files and muxed them into my video remasters in place of the English audio. I'll see if I can track down the issue and fix it. Out of interest, did you test it in-game or using a media player like MPCHC or VLC?
i am using vlc player to view them individually, but i am using the english audio or at least i hope i am ^^,

Last edited:
i am using vlc player to view them individually, but i am using the english audio or at least i hope i am ^^,

Ah, then that could well be because they have Dolby 5.1 Surround audio and your VLC is only set up for stereo. In 6 channel 5.1 audio, the majority of dialogue comes out of the front centre speaker, and if you're not set up to route a 5.1 stream to a stereo layout, all you'll get is the front left and right speakers (which mostly play music, sound effects and dialogue that's meant to come from one side or the other). If you set it to mono, it'll route all 6 channels into the same stream, hence why you're hearing everything.

I believe the player built into the game routes the 5.1 audio to a stereo setup if your machine isn't set up for surround sound.

You might find you can dig around in VLC settings to get it to route surround sound channels to stereo speakers. I know you can in Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

Looks like there's an answer here :)

Last edited:
A little teaser for you all - as @Pedro teased in this post, I've now created a WCIV HD Pack V3.1 - the International Edition!

This version has audio streams built in for English, German and French, in exactly the same way DVDs and Blu-Rays contain multiple language streams. As Pedro mentioned, though, someone's going to need to modify the executable in order to bring the functionality to the base game:

I won't personally be doing any modding of the original game, but if anyone else (with exe hacking experience) were interested I could point them in the right direction to switch language on the fly (and resurrect subtitles) for the GOG version.

If anyone feels up to the challenge, let us know and I'll release the International video pack 😄

In the meantime, here's a teaser:

The mixdown of the language sources aren't encoded or mixed the same way (hence the music volume jumping between languages), but given that only a single language would be used in-game, the difference wouldn't be noticeable.

Back