IS WC CANCELLED FOR GOOD !!!!!!!!

For good might be more of a rumor, however, temporarily games in the works were cancelled so EA can fixate more on the Ultima line.

Probably close to "For good" or for something like "The forseeable future".

They also laid off most if not all the teams that were involved with anything other than UO series games....

I don't get whats so great about Ultima Online, I played Ultima games and never really liked them. Now if some of you people like Ultima I appologize for dissing it but I think Ultima Sucks

------------------
"Everything that happens, happens for a reason. Hence a car accident can't be considered an accident, it was destined to happen to those people". I said this, just now (9:42p.m. April 29, 2000)

Ultima does not suck. Ultima Online, on the other hand, does suck. There is a big difference there. Ultima Online is responsible for the decline of Ultima as much as it is for that of Wing Commander.

Also... well with EA deciding to basically get rid of Origin (and all of there other companies) there's a very good chance that Wing Commander will get lost in the shuffle.

Sadly, that may very well be true. Right now though, as far as most of us have been told, new games will be postponed for the forseeable future.

There is the fan development factor though, wc1 to SO conversions for ships and missions and so on.

Subzero, are you the same as the SBA subzero?

Why is EA getting rid of Origin?
Anyway, isn`t that better for the fans? Because the way I see it, the smaller the company - the less bureaucracy, and the more likely it is to listen to fans, isn`t it?

Oh, DH, congratulations, you`ve made colonel.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Mad Hatter (edited May 04, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
Death's Head:

No matter what they say, and no matter what we want, Wing Commander, as a commercial release, is dead. Fan development is all fine and dandy, but it's... well it's fan development and no matter how good it turns out it won't be the same. It'll be lacking that sense of... newness (not a word I think, but you probably get the point
smile.gif
).

Mad Hatter:

I don't think anyone really knows why they're doing it... I sure don't know. My guess though would be to "reduce costs" (as in pink slip time) though I'm not sure.

As for bureaucracy... the answer is probably a no. EA is basically taking all their smaller subsidiary companies and forming three new groups out of these. The way it looks, to me at least, is that this will give EA more control over game development. Given EA's track record this would pretty much mean that games would be pushed out the door early and game developers would be... encouraged... to follow the current trends in gaming as opposed to listening to fans or trying something original. Plus this move really makes bigger companies out of many (actually some of the best out there) smaller ones so your chance to interact with the developers or in anyway effect the development of a game probably just became a lot smaller.

So negative
smile.gif

------------------
Mick Foley is a pretty guy.

MH, thanks. It's just another post to me. I wasn't even aware I had a new rank until yesterday, colonel and lieutenant colonel look kinda the same when you're look at the the post text.

Gib, this is bad for morale.
smile.gif
No one really needs to hear that kind of stuff anyway. From what we've seen, EA is drifting towards a reshuffling where eventually, few there will even remember WC, but let's try to get a little optimism here.

Just remember one thing.
There is almost nobody left of the ppl that made Wing Commander. So I think that if they would even think of making a new WC game, I dont know how good it would be.

Also...I think we shall forget to see movies with real actors in the games.
The graphic rendering has become so good that they dont really need to spend money in paying real actors such as Mark Hamill.

Take Starlancer as an example.

UPA_Subzero said:
i agree that Ultima sucks .
UO is the single best RPG ever made IMO.
What EA needs is another game like WC3 to make them some moolla.
UO is bringing in shit loads of money. Much more than WC3 could ever hope to bring. UO has curently about 150,000 regular subscribers paying 10$ each month, that’s 1,500,000 $ each month.

Enoxigeo said:
Just remember one thing.
There is almost nobody left of the ppl that made Wing Commander. So I think that if they would even think of making a new WC game, I dont know how good it would be.
But it would have an advantage over any other space sim. And that advantage is that it’s WC. The story would be a continuation of WC, we would fly the same ships, and have the same characters.

Also...I think we shall forget to see movies with real actors in the games.
The graphic rendering has become so good that they dont really need to spend money in paying real actors such as Mark Hamill.

Take Starlancer as an example.
Even though CGI looks better than FMV, the character movement looks weird, the voice acting isn’t all that good….. I’d rather watch few hours of the Prophecy quality FMV (which wasn’t all that good) than the 20 minutes of CGI in SL.

Earthworm brings up a dangerous point about making another WC game. That kind of thinking leads to atrocities like Star Trek: Voyager and Star Wars novels by Kevin J Anderson. Without Roberts or an equal, the series is a lost cause without a soul behind it. EA dropped it because they now ahve picked up Lucasart's habit of dropping the ball. Personally, I think we should toss up a WC-Online game made by the fans ala Red-Hat Linux and just screw all copyrights.

------------------
"The Way of the Samurai is in desperateness.
Ten men or more cannot kill such a man.
Common sense will not accomplish great things.
Simply become insane and desperate."
-Yamamoto Tsunetomo, "Hagakure"

LeHah said:
That kind of thinking leads to atrocities like Star Trek: Voyager and Star Wars novels by Kevin J Anderson.

While I agree with you on KJA Star Wars books, I must say: What's wrong with Voyager?

Personally, I think we should toss up a WC-Online game made by the fans ala Red-Hat Linux and just screw all copyrights.

Uh, isn't that asking for a lawsuit?

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Personally, it wasn`t the real live actors which made me prefer WC over X-wing & TIE-Fighter and the likes. it was the story. take WC1 and WC2, they didn`t have real actors, heck, they didn`t even use animation in the cutscenes, and still, it made you connect to the story.
You don`t have to use live actors, you just have to have a good story that people can identify with.

Back