Independence Day 2

Jdawg

Commodore
I was drug to see this movie by my mom, bc she loved the first movie, and while I liked the first movie for what it was; aka a big dumb fun action movie, number 2 is just dumb. this is probably the worst movie I have seen in 5 yrs with this kind of huge budget. this was way worse than Jupiter ascending to me. The dialogue was so bad that it made the first movie's dialogue look like Shakespeare. The acting was either horrible or just totally phoned in (this was a show up to set read the teleprompter and cash a check movie to the fullest). On top of that there were way too many characters to keep track of or even care about. I thought well maybe at least the action will save this movie, but nope no great set pieces, and the direction was horrible. roland emmerich was never the best director as far as story goes, but he could at least direct action; the directing here makes Michael Bay look like Stanley Kubrick. this movie set scifi back 10 yrs. GOD I HATED THIS SHITBOX 2/10

I thought it was rather ho-hum. None of the new characters were likable enough and they all seemed cookie-cutter. I'm interested in seeing a sequel to see where they take it, but I don't think I'll ever watch this again outside of an Independence Day series marathon (if there ends up being enough movies to do it).

I liked it, like a movie from the bottom shelf in the VHS days.. We are the US, let's just blow everything up with nukes and/or guns! the shield with the queen really did not make sense!

im done with the series like the matrix there is only the first one none of the sequels count lol.

as far as getting a sequel goes it will have to be bc of the oversea market, the movie is bombing bad here in america. it had a budget of 165 million to make plus millions more spent in advertising. it has only made 77 million in america. I read somewhere it would have to gross over 350 million to break even.

I didn't hate it. The effects and whatnot were fine. There was some pretty dumb 'defy laws of physics' stuff going on... but you can't really fault this one for that and give the first one a free pass (as a side note, grandpa made amazing time on his trip to area 51). I'd rather the movie was two hours of grandpa driving a bus full of kids through a war zone though as none of the new young leads had much in the way of charisma or any interesting kind of character arc.

Saw it last night. I did not think it was good and I love the first one. Watching it brings back good memories of the old DALNET #wing-commander days.

The thing is they missed what made the first one great. Even when they tried to shove it in it didn't pan out. Which is sad. I'll probably never rewatch it either unless it's part of an ID4 marathon because there's really nothing worth seeing again. Which sucks.

I thought the whole going to the core of the Earth was silly. In the first movie, they wanted to strip mine the planet which made sense...the drilling doesn't add the tension they were hoping for.

The new characters were all forgettable...anybody even know the name of Mr. Glasses Bureaucrat? And some of the old characters were brought back for no point...like what was the purpose of Vivica Fox's role? To show she went from stripper to head doctor in 20 years and then die after 5 lines?

And, unless they've changed the Line of Succession, there's no way a general can become president. And NORAD, again?...it was destroyed in the first movie...why rebuild it? Just lazy writing...I'm not sure if they were trying to get nostalgia points with all the references but it felt lazy to me...ohh look AREA 51! AGAIN! Ohh look, NORAD...AGAIN! And Daddy Levinson somehow driving from NYC to Area 51 in seemingly a day or so was ehh. The movie ending in roughly the same exact same and spot as the first was groan-worthy.

The only "saving" graces were David Levison and Dr. Oaken. Every time they were on screen they gave it some life.

Saw it last night. I did not think it was good and I love the first one. Watching it brings back good memories of the old DALNET #wing-commander days.

The thing is they missed what made the first one great. Even when they tried to shove it in it didn't pan out. Which is sad. I'll probably never rewatch it either unless it's part of an ID4 marathon because there's really nothing worth seeing again. Which sucks.

I thought the whole going to the core of the Earth was silly. In the first movie, they wanted to strip mine the planet which made sense...the drilling doesn't add the tension they were hoping for.

The new characters were all forgettable...anybody even know the name of Mr. Glasses Bureaucrat? And some of the old characters were brought back for no point...like what was the purpose of Vivica Fox's role? To show she went from stripper to head doctor in 20 years and then die after 5 lines?

And, unless they've changed the Line of Succession, there's no way a general can become president. And NORAD, again?...it was destroyed in the first movie...why rebuild it? Just lazy writing...I'm not sure if they were trying to get nostalgia points with all the references but it felt lazy to me...ohh look AREA 51! AGAIN! Ohh look, NORAD...AGAIN! And Daddy Levinson somehow driving from NYC to Area 51 in seemingly a day or so was ehh. The movie ending in roughly the same exact same and spot as the first was groan-worthy.

The only "saving" graces were David Levison and Dr. Oaken. Every time they were on screen they gave it some life.
amen and why was data brought back he clearly died in the first one, and they gave him way too much screen time, god was he bad.

Plus what a horrible way for Bill Pullman to go out, they gave him nothing to do and his death had no impact. Then the horrendous ending where they break the fourth wall; I literally groaned out loud

Back