In Honor of the WCA DVD Release

Klavs81

Rear Admiral
Thought I'd try my own take on the WCA DVD cover. Hope you guys like it!

Apologies to Howard Day for stealing a shot of one of his Pioneer explosions, it just worked so well!

Attachments

• WCA.jpg
    WCA.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 140
  • WCA2.jpg
    WCA2.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 141
I'm only offering constructive criticism: the foreground Scimitar seems a bit off - the left wing, closer to the viewer, is smaller than the right wing, which is further away.

I'm only offering constructive criticism: the foreground Scimitar seems a bit off - the left wing, closer to the viewer, is smaller than the right wing, which is further away.

Hmm, must be the fisheye lens I used to capture all the hot, hot action. Oh well.

I'm glad you guys like it! It was done with 3D models, but I went back in and did a lot of post work in Photoshop, so I guess you could say it was drawn by hand, too. I'm trying to develop my own style as an artist rather than go for "photo-real" after all, what does a space battle really look like? :)

Wedge, you can see what I'm talking about with the camera in the attached, I had the field of view on the camera on the original set at 10 degrees, which contributes to the effect where the Scimitar's wing on the right looks longer (less perspective, like a camera shot at long range with a narrow FOV), and another shot at FOV 40 degrees or so (more perspective). The fact that one wing is in light while the other is in darkness contributes to the larger wing syndrome too, but I really wanted the light to play across all the details on the panels on the wing.

A lot of WW2 photos have this problem too, the aircraft look a little off because they were shot at long range with a narrow field of view.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 86
I do the same thing, whenever you see 3d models of mine and explosions in the same shot.. it just means I rendered ships and hand painted a battle sequence. also.. perspective-wise.. there is nothing wrong with that wing.. its just the angle you are viewing it at.. jet fighter photos do that all the time.

I wasn't saying there was anything wrong, specifically. And I have seen that effect before: if you look at the Midway image in this collection, you can see something similar happening with the wings of the Piranhas on the right side.

Anyway, thanks for the 'behind-the-scenes' look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back