IMPORTANT: Standoff Episode 5 patch 1.30 now available

Installing it on my brother's PC (separate LAN/WAN), the auto-update seems to work just fine. I worked around the non-update on my own PC by copying standoff.dll and stan_sim.tre (the only files which seemed to be different), and updating the version number in the registry. It's an ugly hack, but at least I can try the new score-enabled missions now.

Edit: When saving the options in the Standoff Launcher, I still get the "can't verify Crius.net user name" message, whereas there seems to be no such problem on my brother's PC. Clearly there is some sort of connection issue, but even disabling the software firewall and nearly everything on the router, I couldn't get it to update on my own PC. :/

That's very strange. It definitely seems that your machine doesn't want to let Standoff Launcher.exe talk to the internet. Do you have any similar problems with other applications? I can't think of anywhere else you'd need to add an exception to allow it to connect to the net. I've had similar problems before, but quickly resolved them by adding exceptions to Windows Firewall, AVG firewall (even if both weren't running, I just wanted to be sure) and going into my router and making an exception there along with turning on the "gaming" option to open certain ports that games commonly use.

Does your router have some kind of gaming section where you can activate a similar feature?

I have no such problems with any other application. I do know how to do port forwarding on the router, but I have no reason to believe that the Launcher application uses anything other than standard HTTP accesses to standoff.solsector.net on port 80. At any rate, port forwarding was not necessary for the network I set up for my family (where my brother's PC is), so I really am baffled.

I suppose I can put up with the minor inconvenience, though. It's been a long time since I've had a stab at the simulator scores. :)

Hmm is the Ep5 package on Standoff.solsector.net the latest version? I thought Pete was going to put up one big new package soon...not sure if has done that or not, as that might be your best bet for getting into the scoreboard again...

I'm not sure. I believe it is, even though it only gives 1.29. That's why I suggested the version be stated in the file name and description to avoid confusion.

As for getting on the scoreboard... well, I'm not the best pilot by any means, but have a look at some of the boards. :)

The Episode 5 package is maintained at the current patch version, so that people who can't use autoupdate can re-download it instead. I just checked, the correct version is up there, 1.31.

I decided to overwrite the installer up there instead of putting the version number in the filename so that the links always point to the lastest file.

Ah. Well the lack of change in file name or any other indication was precisely why I didn't know whether or not to try downloading again. I suppose I could do it now for archival purposes. Unless, of course, that big, all-in-one, Episode 1-5 package is still in the works.

Ah. Well the lack of change in file name or any other indication was precisely why I didn't know whether or not to try downloading again.
My bad, I thought I had mentioned it but I see I did not. I'll update the website when I get back from job tonight. Sorry for the confusion.
Unless, of course, that big, all-in-one, Episode 1-5 package is still in the works.
It's not really in the works right now, but it should be done within the next few weeks.

It's okay, no rush. I only just managed to work myself to the start of Episode 5. Everything looks really beautiful, amazing what a bit of specular lighting can do in terms of visual impression.

Back