"I'm Poppin' The Pod! Make Sure I Get Picked Up..." (October 19, 2014)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Today's new poll asks about your philosophy on ejection. Are you a pilot that always goes down with their ship? Or is Control+E a legitimate strategy for tough situations? Speaking of key combos, did you know that the Playstation requires six buttons to punch out? It takes the L1, L2, R1 & R2 triggers plus Select & Start to make sure you really want to go for it!

Our annual birthday poll asked how long fans have been visiting the CIC. A significant number of people have been following us since wcnews.com opened in 1998, and even more people have been around since our early precursor websites in 1996. But the winning option centers on the turn of the millennium 1999-2001. It's also great to see from the results that new fans keep showing up!

--
Original update published on October 19, 2014

Last edited by a moderator:
Aren't those six buttons often used as a 'soft reset' key combination? Well, I suppose there's nothing to stop them being re-used for ejection.

Nice poll update, by the way.

Thanks. It sounds like it works in Final Fantasy games and maybe a few others because they programmed that combo to take you back to the title screen, but it doesn't look like a Sony key combo or true system reset.

Golden Sun for me, usually on the penultimate Venice mission when the 'Claw moves into position and you rendezvous with her at Nav 4. I seem to recall that the carrier wouldn't always appear at the navpoint, and since already on the winning path find it the ideal place to bail.

I almost never eject, mostly because I'm too busy dogfighting to pay attention to the eject warning light. There's many times where I've plowed ahead and finished a mission despite the flight computer telling me it was hopeless.

Most of the games I never got the ejection light except for Prophecy. Though I do recall the one time I got a Golden Sun in WC1...it was during McAuliffe 1 of all times, that second dogfight. I don't remember the exact set of circumstances, but that Scimitar's eject light came on and I popped the pod. Neat sequence. I didn't save the game because I took Halcyon's speech as an ass-chewing and his words during the awards ceremony as ironic. And naturally, I got through the mission on the next play-through.

I still occasionally have problems with McAullife 1. I think it's that transition from the Hornet that does it.

I used to wait for either the first or second Goddard mission before popping the pod, just to get my Golden Sun. Figured since the world was doomed anyway (and pissing off Jazz canonically) I figured no big loss since no matter how bad you do those first two missions it still sent you onwards.

When I was a kid with the SNES version, as a sort of losing game exploration, I would deliberately eject immediately after launching. From Enyo to Apocalypse System (apparently Hell's Kitchen is too strong a name for it) listening to the wingmen in the bar getting depressed AND pissed at me as well as watching the cats brutalize Vega.

After I had my fill of seeing just bad how bad it could get (I was amazed a losing game path could last so long) I came back with renewed vigor to beat every mission. At first, Kurasawa 2 was trouble till I figured some tactics out and finally put those cats to bed.

Some of the reasons I'll never forget my experience of WC1.

Back