I know this is a wing commander forum, but...

Poulton

Spaceman
What do you guys think about strike commander? I personally think it rocked and was on a par with wing commander privateer if not better because it felt more real!

umm . . . perhaps you should have asked this in the "off topic" zone? At any rate, it's here now, so, let the discussion begin!

(Otherwise, I see this thread getting moved)

Strike Commander was pretty neat... and if not on-topic, it's at least *adjacent* to topic. It had a fun early-nineties-Origin story (a traitor?! who knew?!) and lots of effects that were awesome at the time...

As Origin's three 'air sims' go, SC is my second favorite -- Wings of Glory (the WW1 one) was one of the best games ever made.

Was Strike Commander ever ported to Windows?
I can't get the Dos version available at HOTU to work on my Win2K.
Thanks,
Avi
P.S: Maybe it would make a good port to the GBA :p

Nope, never ported to windows. Strike Commander wasn't *tremendously* popoular... it suffered from a very negative reputation to start with, as it was delayed a number of times.

(Which is what the 'Coming Christmas 2012! Really!' advertisement in the manual referred to. :))

Bandit LOAF said:
Strike Commander was pretty neat... and if not on-topic, it's at least *adjacent* to topic. It had a fun early-nineties-Origin story (a traitor?! who knew?!) and lots of effects that were awesome at the time...

As Origin's three 'air sims' go, SC is my second favorite -- Wings of Glory (the WW1 one) was one of the best games ever made.
Um, what was the 3rd air sim?...

Strike Commander was a fabulous game! I really enjoyed it. The characters were great (not to mention the awesome intro 'I'm a fighter Pilot tex, not a murderer'). The part I enjoyed most was looking after the squadron, such as buying equipment etc.

avisolo said:
Was Strike Commander ever ported to Windows?
I can't get the Dos version available at HOTU to work on my Win2K.
Thanks,
Avi
P.S: Maybe it would make a good port to the GBA :p

I couldn't even play under DOS :(
Yet I read very carefully how to modify the autoexec.bat and the config.sys, but to no avail.

Strike Commander was the game Chris Roberts was in charge of between Wing Commander 2 and Wing Commander 3.

It's a 'simplified' fighter jet 'sim with a Wing Commander style storyline (complete with talking heads). Your character commands a mercenary F-16 squadron in a near-future world where the US has broken up into small warring countries. It was Origins first 3D game, and the Strike Commander engine was a direct precursor to that used in Armada/WC3/WC4. (SC's terrain rendering was lifted pretty directly for WC3's 'ground' missions).

I tried looking for Strike Commander stuff before. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be anywhere near as popular as Wing Commander - no one's really done a fan page for it or anything like that.

However, you can take a look at the pretty training mission splash screen and see all the lovely places you visit in SC. :)

Strike.png

SCMap.png

Wow... it's been quite a while since I've played SC... I don't even remember half of those places!

If Andy Hollis isn't working on a new WC, a new SC would be the next best thing.

And WTF is Hanamaulu? :(

Some place in Hawaii, it would seem...

Wedge009 said:
Wow... it's been quite a while since I've played SC... I don't even remember half of those places!
Silly me. Now I remember why I don't recall visiting those places in SC - it's because most of them were only stop-overs...

Bob McDob said:
If Andy Hollis isn't working on a new WC, a new SC would be the next best thing.

And WTF is Hanamaulu? :(

Aren't you actually *from* Hawaii, though?

Hanamaulu Bay... on Kauai. I think there's a town, too.

Ahhh.... Strike Commander. I had that on a CD along with Privateer and RF. Good stuff.

It took a while, but I think I've forgotten the horrible wingman chatter. I even forget who the traitor was!!

It'd be fun to run through that game again.

Back