I had the crash getting my Galaxy from my fleet, so. . .

Wendy

Spaceman
I'm going to the orion next. See if I can get a crash that way as well. Centurion don NOT crash the system. ANd we have another winner.

Same type of thing. CRASH.

We have an audio file hang-up that's crashing things with the stock orion as well.

UPDATE:
I went to New Detroit to try Buying the Mil Spec Version of the orion. That didn't do it. I'm going to try buying a mil spec version of the galaxy and see what happens, then I'll try buying them from fleet stock. See if that makes a difference.

UPDATE:
Buying Mil Spec new does not create the error.
Buying Mil Spec from your fleet does NOT create the error
Buying STOCK from your fleet creates the error.
Both Galaxy and Orion. Now to check the Tarsus

Only those two ships crash the game. Both at Perry and at New Detroit

can you give me the Dr Watson logs for these...I'll bet it caught 'em

and I'm sure it's a different error

got the log and need the 2 ship csv files I mailed you about no matter the answer to the next question.
Question:
What ram setting did you choose?
did setting have you been playing with. If you chose the highest (1024 MB) setting try changing that and see if you can suddenly load the galaxy from your fleet
if you didn't choose the highest, try adding that
because that's the only thing at all I've changed since 009 about ship buying.
Setting to 1024 MB ram adds a precache feature that attempts to load the ship files before they're encountered in game, resulting in smoother gameplay
honestly you only need about 384 megs of free ram to enjoy that... but I put it higher cus it increases the load time ;-)

But another thing that could also have changed since 009 is your loadout... you may have some magic bullet on the orion and galaxy or even in your cargo hold that's causing it to barf--
Anyhow with the galaxy.blank.csv and orion.blank.csv I should be able to find the problem but if you can experiment with the ram settings that could help me on my end track it down after I have the files to work with

send me your current ship also...could be something in *that* ship's hold that gets transferred

hellcatv said:
got the log and need the 2 ship csv files I mailed you about no matter the answer to the next question.
Question:
What ram setting did you choose?
did setting have you been playing with. If you chose the highest (1024 MB) setting try changing that and see if you can suddenly load the galaxy from your fleet
if you didn't choose the highest, try adding that
because that's the only thing at all I've changed since 009 about ship buying.
Setting to 1024 MB ram adds a precache feature that attempts to load the ship files before they're encountered in game, resulting in smoother gameplay
honestly you only need about 384 megs of free ram to enjoy that... but I put it higher cus it increases the load time ;-)

But another thing that could also have changed since 009 is your loadout... you may have some magic bullet on the orion and galaxy or even in your cargo hold that's causing it to barf--
Anyhow with the galaxy.blank.csv and orion.blank.csv I should be able to find the problem but if you can experiment with the ram settings that could help me on my end track it down after I have the files to work with

send me your current ship also...could be something in *that* ship's hold that gets transferred

OMG! I just realised, the ships in question are from the version I was hacking. Remember? I ported the save files to see if they'd work? YES indeed there are going to be magic bullets. I'll rar up the entire directory of csvs for you.

Ram settings, I'm running at 512MB. I thought I sent you the config file I was running. I'll rar up the corresponding units.csv I hacked in 9b that makes those ships weapons load outs work as well. I'll also try setting that scv in here and seeing if it fixes stuff.

I'll earmark each file set with where it came from. Let's see. . .I'll have to put these in directories so you don't get confused as to where the files came from.

Shoot. . .It never occurred to me that that might happen, especially since I've been playing with the one ship almost exclusively and I BOUGHT that one. Damn.

I thought the RAM setting was for how much RAM I had in MY machine. I'll try that. Look for the Dr watson. It should have appended the stuff.

ya it seems as if you'd used some sort of steltek gun turrets or something...very odd stuff--still shouldn't crash, but this "bug" won't probably affect many legitimate players ;-)

seems like it has to do with some xtra features being hacked onto the ships...
at least I can repro it with this data now...

ack looks like your Orion had 3 turrets slapped on it...
and the galaxy had 3 as well...and boostedSteltek turrets no less...

not fair! Anyhow given where it crashed in the code, it was when writing out the turrets... now it shouldn't crash--but clearly having a hacked saved unit without a hacked original unit hasn't been tested... and should be illegal.

This is a case where cheating came back and bit you in the butt ;-)

they may say "The pen^H^H^HText Editor is more powerful than the sword"
but it's certainly got a double edged blade.

hellcatv said:
ack looks like your Orion had 3 turrets slapped on it...
and the galaxy had 3 as well...and boostedSteltek turrets no less...

not fair! Anyhow given where it crashed in the code, it was when writing out the turrets... now it shouldn't crash--but clearly having a hacked saved unit without a hacked original unit hasn't been tested... and should be illegal.

This is a case where cheating came back and bit you in the butt ;-)

they may say "The pen^H^H^HText Editor is more powerful than the sword"
but it's certainly got a double edged blade.

Well . ..I CAN apologise, I am sorry. But you did ask me to test with a saved game, and I DID.

Sorry, didn't mean to have you chasing your tail on that. It was so like the other error that I didn't bother to look at the save first. Mea culpa.

don't worry ;-) I was just teasing *you* for cheating :)

I'm actually happy you found this one... it's important to find these sorts of things if networking is ever to become a possibility--we don't want people to be able to crash other servers by hosting a game...

but it's also important for me to tell you why it was failing so you can correct your savegame file until I update the binary and have it remove excess turrets instead of crashing

hellcatv said:
don't worry ;-) I was just teasing :)
I'm actually happy you found this one... it's important to find these sorts of things if networking is ever to become a possibility

Well, I understood the tease.
-And I know you need me to get through stuff fast, so I have to have some cheats so I can find the major problems FAST.
-AND, I did ask about things being a bit easy, which, from the admitted worst pilot in the WC universe, is something.
-AND it also points out a weakness in the game for finding the illegals for a networked / multi-user game.

Again I liken your game to Neverwinter nights.

There you can have illegal stuff in single player games, but the illegals are stopped upon LOAD if there is an illegal item / character sheet / etc. . . by a check of the game / character being loaded.

Sorry for making you chase around the code for the wrong reasons.

Glad you mentioned it, 'cause I can fix it. But also glad 'cause I now know how little or much I can cheat it and what the symptoms will be.

I won't say I wouldn't do it if you hadn't asked for a hard play for the game to test for release. I'd prolly do it anyway, just to see if I was capable of it.

Back